2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jhm614 said:
evnow said:
But, TomT, not everyone is you. There are people who aren't as well informed and just buy based on sales person's recommendations. They will recommend Leaf/Infiniti - not Tesla. Infact they'll actively dissuade Tesla ... (it is a new company, who knows how many years they will remain - just look at Fisker etc).

Then, there is the lease. NMAC will definitely be able to offer attractive leases compared to what Tesla's banking partner can. Considering most premium cars are leased ...
Also, there are some states where you can't buy a Tesla (such as Texas). That will give Leaf 2 / Infiniti EV a serious leg up on the TM3 in those places.
That is, unless Tesla gets that sorted out before the release of the Model 3.
That being said, Tesla is no Fisker. The common person has heard of Tesla by now, I think. Personally, I only heard about Fisker when they were going under.
In general, here's what I see happening: more of the current BEV owners will wait for Model 3 and perhaps go with that when it arrives, if it does meet the needs it claims it will today. New, prospective BEV owners may go LEAF or Bolt or whatever is available from the big name guys, because they haven't been through the same things that current LEAF owners have, and won't necessarily be aware of the things such as charging stations being such a pain in the neck. Most people won't until they experience it for themselves, especially after the range of these vehicles increase to the point where they become "no-brainers" for some.

jhm614 said:
Also, there are some states where you can't buy a Tesla (such as Texas). That will give Leaf 2 / Infiniti EV a serious leg up on the TM3 in those places.
http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.38999999999999?search=store,&name=United%20States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.38999999999999?search=service,&name=United%20States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
other than no sales pitch or help with vehicle registration, Texas and Tesla get business done, how many Tesla owners don't have an iPAD?

The only thing you can't do in Texas with Tesla is to say yes, I want to buy, to a human being in Texas. You can window shop, test drive, pick up, charge and maintain your vehicle there. To my knowledge it is a barrier in name only.

This is again getting OT. Let us take the Tesla competitors talk elsewhere.

BTW, I hear Oct 2nd week for MY16 cars - not Sep 7. I wonder whether the NMAC agent got confused and replied with some other date.

We should know about MY16 details quite soon. Afterall dealers will be able to order soon.

evnow said:
This is again getting OT. Let us take the Tesla competitors talk elsewhere.

BTW, I hear Oct 2nd week for MY16 cars - not Sep 7. I wonder whether the NMAC agent got confused and replied with some other date.

We should know about MY16 details quite soon. Afterall dealers will be able to order soon.

This information has me excited to hear more. Yet looking at those dates makes me not want to think about summer being over - it only just finally got here!

If true, the 30kWh option might be just what Nissan needs to sustain sales of the Leaf until the next gen is available. These certainly are exciting times (finally). It seems like we've been treading water since 2010, but now there is finally some movement.

I now have independent confirmation of the information in the first page i.e. 30 kWh for SV/SL and 3 new colors.

evnow said:
I now have independent confirmation of the information in the first page i.e. 30 kWh for SV/SL and 3 new colors.
That is good to know that they are finally doing what should have been done a year ago.

Now do you think it will take another 5 years to go from 30 kWh to 36 kWh?

evnow said:
What's your source? I hope it's not something you saw on FB?

Edit: Was this your source? https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/992284080803029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same info now on insideevs:

http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-get-25-larger-battery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I'd like to have the option of upgrading the pack in my 2011, I might be more inclined to instead save the money toward a Tesla with true long-distance capabilities. An older LEAF with a degraded pack is still useful for shorter drives around town. Resale value on a 2011 with a larger battery pack would still be pretty lousy, I think.

It appears that the information on the '16 LEAF is starting to show up on dealer order systems, though you can order it yet. Multiple sources appear to be seeing the same data, so the information appears to be pretty solid.

Can't tell for sure until Nissan makes an official announcement, though.

If you know someone who works at a dealership - have them check it out.

KJD said:
That is good to know that they are finally doing what should have been done a year ago.

I think they should have started with 30 kWh - instead of 24. That would have prevented a lot of heartburn and headache for Nissan.

They'll go to 50 or 60 kWh next year. My guess is ...

S - 24 kWh
SV - 30 kWh
SL - 30 kWh

S - 30 kWh
SV - 50 kWh
SL - 60 kWh (or 50 kWh)

evnow said:
KJD said:

I think they should have started with 30 kWh - instead of 24. That would have prevented a lot of heartburn and headache for Nissan.

They'll go to 50 or 60 kWh next year. My guess is ...

S - 24 kWh
SV - 30 kWh
SL - 30 kWh

S - 30 kWh
SV - 50 kWh
SL - 60 kWh (or 50 kWh)
I think it would be good, if they go that route, if Nissan followed Tesla's lead and had the capacity indicated in the model name (just as they themselves do with engine volume on cars like the Altima). Unfortunately, they would be seen by many as copying Tesla if they did it at this point and it would invite derision, even though it's genuinely useful.
Hopefully Nissan does the right thing for the current owners and offers 30kWh replacement batteries, but I suspect that battery production simply isn't there for them to do that yet.

I'd be willing the bet that the 2015 pack and 2016 are more similar than you think. I bet the MY15 pack is the same cells (with greater density) as the 2016 packs. I bet that there's added unused space in the 2015 packs that can accomodate the extra kwh somewhat easily.

ishiyakazuo said:
I think it would be good, if they go that route, if Nissan followed Tesla's lead and had the capacity indicated in the model name (just as they themselves do with engine volume on cars like the Altima). Unfortunately, they would be seen by many as copying Tesla if they did it at this point and it would invite derision, even though it's genuinely useful.
Hopefully Nissan does the right thing for the current owners and offers 30kWh replacement batteries, but I suspect that battery production simply isn't there for them to do that yet.

Just as long as there's no fake capacity badges on the back as is so often the case with practically every German built automobile nowadays when it comes to engine displacement in the badging. e.g. BMW decides to go and rebadge the F30 335i the 340i since Mercedes slapped C400 onto the trunk of their 3.0L V6 powered C-Class which itself was done to outbadge the 335i...ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back