2020 Volume Knob Erratic Operation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numpty

2020 SL Plus. When adjusting the rotary volume knob the levels jump up and down erratically regardless of how slowly the knob is adjusted. The steering wheel volume control operates normally.

Anyone experiencing this and, if so, what is/was the fix?

Numpty said:
2020 SL Plus. When adjusting the rotary volume knob the levels jump up and down erratically regardless of how slowly the knob is adjusted. The steering wheel volume control operates normally.

Anyone experiencing this and, if so, what is/was the fix?

Yes, I have the same issue because I never used the knob, only the buttons on the steering wheel. Then my kids try to adjust the volume using the knob and it gets way too loud or erratic. Mainly I believe, debris, dust, whatever gets into the knob and causes this. If you have a way to blast it out with air, it can get back to the factory condition of actually working. There might be a better way to clean it, but I haven't done any research into removing the head unit to see myself.

Thanks for the input! I sprayed contact control cleaner on the shaft where it enters the radio and it worked! It took two applications, one day apart, to get it to operate as it should.

I have had the radio/navigation unit in my 2019 SL Plus replaced twice due to volume/tuning knobs being erratic and other issues such as software glitches. I had absolutely no trouble with the units in the 2011 and 2015, but quality control on these newer navigation units seems marginal. The latest one resets itself once in a while for no reason.

In my case, electrical cleaner on the knobs had no effect.

Followup:

Erratic operation returned. More spray, moderate improvement. I'll keep spraying and see how it goes. It works fine if the knob is turned slowly.

2020 SV here with the exact same problem. I've tried the compressed air fix, but made no difference. I've seen some other reports that replacement of entire head assembly was the fix for warranty repairs for this problem. Thankfully the steering wheel controls work fine. Wondering how many folks would have this problem if they actually used the knob.

Seemed a bit crazy, but I did try this fix and it seems to have worked for me for a week so far. Radio knob drill fix

One note, I did shoot a spray of Electrical Contact Cleaner before attaching the drill. I also removed the know and just attached the drill to the stem vs. the sticky substance in the video.

Will update if the problematic behavior returns.

Seemed a bit crazy, but I did try this fix and it seems to have worked for me for a week so far. Radio knob drill fix

One note, I did shoot a spray of Electrical Contact Cleaner before attaching the drill. I also removed the know and just attached the drill to the stem vs. the sticky substance in the video.

Will update if the problematic behavior returns.
After 3 weeks, it's working for me too. Apparently this Radio shaft problem exists for most Nissan radios.

Back