2024 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh.... you'd beat me to it.

I posted pointers to Nissan press release/official info at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=632306#p632306.

Agree.

We may not agree on the "right" use case, but I do agree on that much, lol.

Edit:
On the other hand, the article's use of the phrase "substandard" plug rankles. BS.

Less popular? Sure. Substandard? In what sense?

Given the abandonment of CCS by GM, Ford and Rivian, I wouldn't call CCS superior in any way.

What am I missing?

-b

frontrangeleaf said:
On the other hand, the article's use of the phrase "substandard" plug rankles. BS.

Less popular? Sure. Substandard? In what sense?

For a good use case for a LEAF, the fast charging plug almost doesn't matter.

Assuming a Bolt is no longer attainable, the target buyer in my mind would be:

1. Someone not applicable for fed tax credit
2. Non long hauler (minimal needs over 400 miles in any given day; most uses under 100 miles a day)
3. Aggressive dealer deal (3-4K under msrp)
4. Medium-bulky cargo needs (hatch over sedan)
5. Someone who places high value on safety features
6. Lower value on s3xy looks in a car.

The CHAdeMO is technically superior to CCS. Unfortunately, it lost out in the market. I am glad to see CCS fade away.

Regarding the 2024 LEAF, I will keep my 2019 SL Plus. I am not giving up features my car has that the new ones don't, but I do hope that Nissan sells enough of them to stay in the EV game.

Reading the specs in that article, I see the motor in the 2014 Plus is a lot more powerful than the standard. Is there a mechanical reason that the increased battery capacity size in the plus needs a more powerful motor?

Driver8 said:
Reading the specs in that article, I see the motor in the 2014 Plus is a lot more powerful than the standard. Is there a mechanical reason that the increased battery capacity size in the plus needs a more powerful motor?

No. It would be more accurate to say that having the motor (AFAIK it's still the same motor for 2024 as the 2013+ Gen I Leaf) draw that much extra power through the inverter is best done with a larger battery. One of the interesting things about EVs is that the motor can often handle much more power than the manufacturer can afford to provide via more powerful batteries and controllers, so upgrading the drivetrain often involves just leaving the motor alone.

LeftieBiker said:
No. It would be more accurate to say that having the motor (AFAIK it's still the same motor for 2024 as the 2013+ Gen I Leaf) draw that much extra power through the inverter is best done with a larger battery. One of the interesting things about EVs is that the motor can often handle much more power than the manufacturer can afford to provide via more powerful batteries and controllers, so upgrading the drivetrain often involves just leaving the motor alone.

Thanks. So it's the same motor in both versions, but it just gets more power with the bigger battery in the Plus?

Yes. Think of the inverter as the fuel delivery system, and the battery as the fuel tank. When they raised the "fuel" capacity they also used a bigger carb, er, inverter. You can also think of the larger inverter as a turbocharger on the motor, but that's getting a bit silly. ;)

In my shop training in High School the Holley would be the appropriate analogy. In my life outside of school, though, it would be either dual Webers, or a Mikuni on each intake manifold.

My adult children don't even know what a carburetor is, let alone where it would go in a car. I was proud of my daughter for doing welding in highschool though. I could have used her help a few decades ago to weld the frame on my 75' Camero.

Any word on whether Nissan is chasing getting the tax credit reinstated for the Leaf? Or is it their strategy to force everyone into a more profitable Lease.

It’s unconscionable that Nissan is still manufacturing and selling new cars with the batteries that should be going to fulfill warranty claims.

Back