240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, but there are risks, even with larger companies, like AV or GM-Old (not to be confused with the "low-risk" GM-New?).

I will try to find out more. If they are responsible and have a good product, it might still be worth investigating and testing their product.

But, no word yet (10:30 AM Monday).

garygid said:
I agree, but there are risks, even with larger companies, like AV or GM-Old (not to be confused with the "low-risk" GM-New?).

I will try to find out more. If they are responsible and have a good product, it might still be worth investigating and testing their product.

But, no word yet (10:30 AM Monday).

You wil never know their financials or real support capability if they are private. I don't see Leviton going under before Charge America. Even established EVSE companies are having issues now, if it were $200 I would consider it but what's the rush? Just need a receipt for end of year.

I just got this from EVCA:

-----------------------------------------------
Gary,

The Charge@Home unit is a very important component in our line of products. We have unexpectedly been deluged with orders and now have lead times upwards of 10 days.

Our Manuals, support documentation and on-line information are all currently in editorial review. The next steps will be to provide you first class materials that will be appropriate for the Nissan Leaf community and others.

You’re questions and comments are very good and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your continued support.

Dwight Dagenais
Sales Manager
EV-Charge America
--------------------------------------------

I'm not buying it...I tried to order over 2 weeks ago...no response. I think they are out of stock because they never had product to deliver. I defy anyone to find someone who actually purchased one of these. Robert the CEO should stick to his real estate business...

dpodoll said:
I'm not buying it...I tried to order over 2 weeks ago...no response. I think they are out of stock because they never had product to deliver. I defy anyone to find someone who actually purchased one of these. Robert the CEO should stick to his real estate business...

I don't buy it either, even if they had units did they stock 20? Who are the people rushing to buy them. I can't see why anyone would take the risk on such a new company when there will be established brands to purchase. They state these are made in the US, I don't believe that as well. Perhaps assembled into the box. Where is their US MFG plant? PC boards made in the US, Sure. Please show me where the unit has a UL rating.

I believe them. They are one of the few even available and could easily sell out considering what AV wants for the whole install.
Leviton is not yet even available and commercial units are triple the price.
I say give these guys a break.

smkettner said:
I believe them. They are one of the few even available and could easily sell out considering what AV wants for the whole install.
Leviton is not yet even available and commercial units are triple the price.
I say give these guys a break.

The Leviton unit is now $1950? Really? Where did you get that pricing? The Leviton is not available YET but there is no Leaf to charge either and you have to Dec 31 to order one. I think it's odd to think people buying Leafs have bought up their stock and even if they had a few people buying Leafs even know about them they likely have done nothing yet.The people aware of these guys are on this forum and I have yet to hear of anyone here buying one yet so likely they have not sold out to any Leaf buyers. They may have a decent product but they are a new company and I don't trust the claims it's made in the US and I don;t see any indication of UL listing, something you usually don't omit. I bet VERY few individuals have bought EVSEs yet. I don;t know of one person so far.

EVDRIVER said:
The Leviton unit is now $1950? Really? Where did you get that pricing? The Leviton is not available YET but there is no Leaf to charge either and you have to Dec 31 to order one. I think it's odd to think people buying Leafs have bought up their stock and even if they had a few people buying Leafs even know about them they likely have done nothing yet.The people aware of these guys are on this forum and I have yet to hear of anyone here buying one yet so likely they have not sold out to any Leaf buyers. They may have a decent product but they are a new company and I don't trust the claims it's made in the US and I don;t see any indication of UL listing, something you usually don't omit. I bet VERY few individuals have bought EVSEs yet. I don;t know of one person so far.
The leviton consumer home unit does not have a price or availability yet.
The commercial units I have seen are $1950+

Sorry to put two thoughts in one sentance :roll:

I still think they are legit, time will tell.

I never said they were not legit, I said I don't believe they are up front about all the facts and I would never buy from a brand new company on a product like this as this market will be flushed out quickly as the consumer end is going to be commoditized fast, it's moving faster than I thought. Has anyone asked if they have UL approval? Perhaps they do. If it were $200 it would be a non-issue. All these new small players are in for the green grab, if they were serious about long-term retail sales they would have a professional store front. Will you be one of the first to buy one? Let's see who is:) Likely they sold their stock to one company.

Prediction---- AV will not sell EVSE unites without installation until 2011 so that people are forced to pay the labor margin in fear of loosing the tax deduction. I hope I'm wrong but they will likely have some BS about supplies only for installation customers first. I would not put it past them.

garygid said:
EVCA removed the $649 sale price for the EV2104 from their website. Now, a price is not listed.

Good catch Gary. Is that a good sign or not? Since they went out of stock pretty fast.. didn't seem like many people got to take advantage of that 'sale'. I still have yet to receive an email back on the questions I have asked them.

Have they sent you any more detailed info on the unit? While we still have some time before the car comes out, it would seem to be good for them to get the jump on the EVSE market. The first unit that is priced right and has the right specs will probably get a good amount of sales.

Hope we hear more soon.

-Peter

As soon as I hear anything useful, I will post here.

They might think I am wanting to know too much about how it works.

My last question to them was: What is the EV2104's UL number?

I asked them to let me know when they have a new price available. Maybe they are waiting to get a new "build" delivered, and do some QC work before setting a new price.

I have also asked if they might have "e-hose" sets for sale, perhaps even at a reasonable price.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it here already, but eTec's estimate of $2,272 for the typical residential L2 installation includes only $780 for the EVSE itself. Then there's 14 hours of labor, 8 of which is for actual installation, materials, and permit. So I think it may not make a big difference in final cost which brand of charger you get.

http://www.theevproject.com/downloa...Infrastructure Deployment Guidelines V3-1.pdf

walterbays said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned it here already, but eTec's estimate of $2,272 for the typical residential L2 installation includes only $780 for the EVSE itself. Then there's 14 hours of labor, 8 of which is for actual installation, materials, and permit. So I think it may not make a big difference in final cost which brand of charger you get.

http://www.theevproject.com/downloa...Infrastructure Deployment Guidelines V3-1.pdf

For a "plug in EVSE" (it is NOT a charger), many already have dryer outlets, or are more than capable or wiring up there own 240V outlet. For people in that category, the only cost is the the EVSE itself, and perhpas $50 in supplies (outlet, breaker, wire, conduit) and their time, or many also have their own electricians who work for a far more reasonable rate as well.

DarkStar said:
garygid said:
My last question to them was: What is the EV2104's UL number?
Boy, I hope that didn't scare them off. Especially since a UL designation isn't required to sell the product.

People think UL is some endorsement of quality but they are a third party private company, nothing more. People worry about changing an EVSE cord to the new J because of a UL listing.

EVDRIVER said:
People think UL is some endorsement of quality but they are a third party private company, nothing more. People worry about changing an EVSE cord to the new J because of a UL listing.

True - but it is not that simple.

Local code may require UL - and even insurance may require UL listing.

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:

True - but it is not that simple.

Local code may require UL - and even insurance may require UL listing.

Possibly but I bet many people have non-code issues at their homes and non-ul devices. If insurance companies could deny claims on this alone they would never have to pay claims. You could hack, short and do almost anything to an non-ul cord on an EVSE and it would just shut it off or trip the circuit. You should see some of the UL approved crap out there by the way. And many mass produced lighting switches used in CA are not UL approved.

Back