2nd Year Service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LEAF tech also said that that Nissan has a pretty consistent frequent brake fluid change schedule across their lineup. He used the brake fluid volt meter tool and my fluid registered at the highest end of the meter but when I tested it using the FASCAR copper brake fluid test strip it didn't register any copper. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before it starts registering copper. It starts at 10 ppm and it is recommended to change it when it gets to 200 ppm.

QueenBee said:
My LEAF tech also said that that Nissan has a pretty consistent frequent brake fluid change schedule across their lineup.

That's true.

In the 2007 Altima there are no recommended brake fluid changes at all through 100,000 miles. By the 2012 MY and on they now recommend changes every few years.

QueenBee said:
My LEAF tech also said that that Nissan has a pretty consistent frequent brake fluid change schedule across their lineup. He used the brake fluid volt meter tool and my fluid registered at the highest end of the meter but when I tested it using the FASCAR copper brake fluid test strip it didn't register any copper. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before it starts registering copper. It starts at 10 ppm and it is recommended to change it when it gets to 200 ppm.

But if the moisture content is higher than .3 which you said it was, it needs to be changed.

LEAFfan said:
QueenBee said:

But if the moisture content is higher than .3 which you said it was, it needs to be changed.

That's what the voltage test would be indicating. As long as the moisture isn't causing corrosion (the corrosion inhibitors are still working) it would seem to me that things are OK. I'm thinking a lot of moisture would need to get into our brake fluid to lower its boiling point enough that it causes braking issues, but I'm just speculating, which does make me second guess not changing it.

QueenBee said:
That's what the voltage test would be indicating. As long as the moisture isn't causing corrosion (the corrosion inhibitors are still working) it would seem to me that things are OK. I'm thinking a lot of moisture would need to get into our brake fluid to lower its boiling point enough that it causes braking issues, but I'm just speculating, which does make me second guess not changing it.

I would not worry too much about it if you dont drive on mountains..

Herm said:
QueenBee said:

I would not worry too much about it if you dont drive on mountains..
And even then you'd need a full battery/etc. or else the regen would take care of that mountain :)

QueenBee said:
And even then you'd need a full battery/etc. or else the regen would take care of that mountain :)
In theory, yes. In reality the LEAF apparently is programmed in such a way that it consumes power going down large mountains at highway speeds, thus requiring the continuous application of the brakes: Regen question.

Just had my 2-year (and 19K miles) service at Nissan Sunnyvale for $0 - battery check, multipoint inspection, and wash. My tires were evenly worn, so no rotation necessary; and I'd already replaced the cabin filter myself.

I'll get the brake fluid changed either at the April airbag recall, or next year at the 3-year point. The service adviser said they usually recommend a brake fluid change every 30K miles.

Nissan is really on top of providing valuable electronic services to owners, such as service reminders. Just today I received an email from Nissan reminding me of my upcoming service appointment at the dealership. Unfortunately, the Nissan email was sent today at 4:30 pm for my service appointment this morning at 9 am!! :shock:

Really useful, Nissan, thanks. You guys have some work to do. :roll:

Wow, maybe there aren't a lot of LEAF owners who have hung on for two years. I will make my appointment for the two year service sometime in the next few weeks. We'll try and report the time it takes and the cost.

Boomer23 said:
Nissan is really on top of providing valuable electronic services to owners, such as service reminders. Just today I received an email from Nissan reminding me of my upcoming service appointment at the dealership. Unfortunately, the Nissan email was sent today at 4:30 pm for my service appointment this morning at 9 am!! :shock:

Really useful, Nissan, thanks. You guys have some work to do. :roll:

Yes the reminder system isn't that great. I've been getting reminder emails that my 37,500 mile service is overdue. My last service was a month ago at 22,500 miles, I haven't got to or had the 30,000 service yet.

The person who mentioned that the brake fluid change is $85. That is not a bad price. I also have a pressure bleeder but $85 is a fair price for me not to have to deal with it.

I presume that if you do the brake fluid change yourself and change the seven dollar cabin filter yourself that the checkup is free, correct?

Slightly related: My wife has a Honda Civic Hybrid. I have always done the service on the vehicle. The dealer does the state inspection for free so every year when she calls for the appointment as soon as they type in her name the service clerk flips out and says 'Oh my goodness, this car has NEVER been serviced!!' :)

teichholtz said:
I presume that if you do the brake fluid change yourself and change the seven dollar cabin filter yourself that the checkup is free, correct?

The annual battery check is complementary the first two years of ownership.

JPWhite said:
teichholtz said:

Except at the Nissan dealership in Richardson, TX. They charged me for my 1 year "service". I was unaware of the free for two years deal until I read it here about 2 months after I paid for it. :(

vrwl said:
JPWhite said:
teichholtz said:

Except at the Nissan dealership in Richardson, TX. They charged me for my 1 year "service". I was unaware of the free for two years deal until I read it here about 2 months after I paid for it. :(

The 1 year service is not free. The annual battery check is free for the first two years.

QueenBee said:
vrwl said:
JPWhite said:

The 1 year service is not free. The annual battery check is free for the first two years.

LOL, all they did on the one year service is check the battery and rotate my tires. Charged me 69.95 for that.

Went in for the 2-year service.
air filter $105
brake fluid $125
free loaner.

i declined the alignment and tire rotate as I have that done elsewhere, with lifetime rotate and balance covered in the tire price.

i tried several dealers but these guys were the only ones to either loaner or do the shuttle for me. power in hawthorne.
i was saddened that my purchase dealer would NOT convert the free oil and filter discount offered me as a buyer to a cabin filter.
they also wouldnt do a loaner.
sad.

Back