411 on volontary recall P1273 LEAF VCM LBC TCU NTB12-014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Before this updete, LBW would come near the bottom
of the last Bar, just below 18% GIDs on the SOC-Meter.
VLBW would come on just below 9% GIDs.
Has that changed?

Mine is always 17.4% for LBW and 8.5% for VLBW.

garygid said:
Hold "Lower Temp" for 2 (or so) seconds (when at 60ºF), and the Heater turns OFF?

Is there any visual indication of this happening?

Maybe we all have that feature and never tried it?
I was monitoring the energy usage screen.

I was a little miffed, they wanted another $150 to "replace the brake fluid" which I opted out. They did not give me a battery analysis either. They also said that Nissan paid $100 of my bill. This would make the total retail price at $350 :eek: WTF!

garygid said:
Hold "Lower Temp" for 2 (or so) seconds (when at 60ºF), and the Heater turns OFF?

Nope, this does not work.

DurkaDurka said:
garygid said:

Nope, this does not work.
Couldn't get this to work either (pre-voluntary recall).

So much for, as the campaign dealer instructions stated, "... An opportunity to provide an outstanding experience..." Of course, I guess that CAN be taken more than one way! :lol:

bowthom said:
I was a little miffed, they wanted another $150 to "replace the brake fluid" which I opted out. They did not give me a battery analysis either. They also said that Nissan paid $100 of my bill. This would make the total retail price at $350 :eek: WTF!

TimeHorse said:
So, to bring this back on topic, if P1274 fixes the TCM so that the time to charge calculation is more accurate and I can just set Finish by 05:00 to 100% Monday - Friday, yes, my life gets a whole lot easier!
Why not use the start timer ?

bowthom said:
garygid said:

I was monitoring the energy usage screen.

Bend over, my friend----These folks are taking you for a big ride. Replacing brake fluid for $150?? They might as well hold a pistol 'upside your head and take your wallet. I would NEVER take my car to this dealer. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

garygid said:
The "EV Charging" (Super-Off-Peak) window set by our PU
is only 4 hours long (1 to 5 AM) - that's part of the problem.
??? AFAIK the SDG&E super off-peak is Midnight to 5:00.

evnow said:
Works for me. End timers have more issues that start timers. The only situation I can think of when start timers don't work well is not having a sufficient window from the start time to when you actually leave. Otherwise it's simpler to just turn the timer off for the occasional special situation.

evnow said:
TimeHorse said:
So, to bring this back on topic, if P1274 fixes the TCM so that the time to charge calculation is more accurate and I can just set Finish by 05:00 to 100% Monday - Friday, yes, my life gets a whole lot easier!

Well, I have risked midnight to 6am which for most days would get me to 90%-100% but to guarantee 100% by 5am or 5a30 at the latest, when I wanna leave for work before some of the worst traffic in the nation wakes up, I need it to start maybe 23:00 or so and there's the rub, because then it becomes 23:00-05:30 to 100% Su, M, Tu, W, Th, nothing on Friday (it's covered by Thursday), Sat 01:00 - 05:00 to 80% and Sunday?? Nope, can't set Sunday because it overlaps Monday. And there's the rub.

Got P1274 today (Nissan's EV line said I qualified for P1273 but the dealership insisted on P1274). Haven't checked my old manual's print date to see if it's September or November but as my car was delivered on 2 November my guess is it must be the September edition. None the less, I didn't receive a new manual.

The main thing for me was the charge timer so after 90 minutes they'd completed the Apron and reprogramming (all my settings were lost but I think I got the Trip A odometer copied) and attempted to reprogram the timers. But I couldn't activate them so I didn't leave and asked them to take a look at this. After another hour, a nose bleed, and the technician's call to the Nissan LEAF service hotline, they concluded that it's because the LEAF couldn't communicate with the Satellite. Of course, CARWINGS AFAIK works on AT&T's 3G but whatever, they took it outside, the new timers set and I was on my way with a cold compress.

So I went to MOMs and for some reason it didn't charge again. Very strange. But still, only 90 minutes estimated charge time should make this a safe experiment. Basically, I have no start time, finish by 05:00 to 100% so if the new Firmware is true to its description, it should finish around 5am (04:45 I'd consider a success). If not, maybe around 02:15, which is a bit outside the Super-Off-Peak but not much so as I say a good day to experiment.

As for the MOMs issue, maybe the "Off" button didn't take. I seem to have this problem specifically with the Coulomb (ChargePoint) chargers at MOMs as this is the second time it's happened to me. Very strange.

TimeHorse said:
Well, I have risked midnight to 6am which for most days would get me to 90%-100% but to guarantee 100% by 5am or 5a30 at the latest, when I wanna leave for work before some of the worst traffic in the nation wakes up, I need it to start maybe 23:00 or so and there's the rub, because then it becomes 23:00-05:30 to 100% Su, M, Tu, W, Th, nothing on Friday (it's covered by Thursday), Sat 01:00 - 05:00 to 80% and Sunday?? Nope, can't set Sunday because it overlaps Monday. And there's the rub.
S,M,T,W,Th timer two from 23:00 - 23:55 or similar. All days 00:05 - 12:00 or if it's important same time Sat Sun but set to 80%.

SanDust said:
S,M,T,W,Th timer two from 23:00 - 23:55 or similar. All days 00:05 - 12:00 or if it's important same time Sat Sun but set to 80%.
It doesn't work that way. There is no everyday timer. Timer is set per weekday to set 1, set 2 or off. It's not like I can tell it to start at 5 past midnight every day. And again: 1) leave for work around 5, 6am at latest and 2) Peak begins at 6am.", even on weekends.

And for the record, 90 minutes required to 100%, finished at 04:02. Maybe a little bit more accurate, but no by much!

Are you using the Climate Control timers? Try turning those off completely (not just making sure the next day is off, but that both timers are OFF). That had a significant effect on my end timer's accuracy.

It's still a bug in my opinion, but if you're looking for a workaround.

TimeHorse said:
It doesn't work that way. There is no everyday timer. Timer is set per weekday to set 1, set 2 or off. It's not like I can tell it to start at 5 past midnight every day.
You have two timers. I know you can set them by the day because I don't do it that way and I find it a pain to have to set each individually. In looking at the manual it looks like you may only be able to do this for one of the timers (I only use one so haven't looked at this before), but this is not a big deal. If you set everyday to charge between 00:00 and 6:00 then you can add Sun,M,T,W,Th to 23:00 - 23:55.

If you have a Blink you also can use that. Lots of options.

Generally I haven't found it necessary to do any of these things. Our super off-peak window is Midnight to 5:00. That works for most days. For the few days when the battery is very low and that window isn't sufficient I just turn the timer off when I plug in. I don't know about your rate structure but, other than the summer peak rate, the absolute price difference for most electric schedules is pretty minimal. You can start looking and think that there is a large percentage difference at different times of day, and there might be, but there isn't much absolute difference when you translate that into monthly dollars. EVs are just incredibly cheap to run.

SanDust said:
You have two timers. I know you can set them by the day because I don't do it that way and I find it a pain to have to set each individually. In looking at the manual it looks like you may only be able to do this for one of the timers (I only use one so haven't looked at this before), but this is not a big deal. If you set everyday to charge between 00:00 and 6:00 then you can add Sun,M,T,W,Th to 23:00 - 23:55.

If you have a Blink you also can use that. Lots of options.

Generally I haven't found it necessary to do any of these things. Our super off-peak window is Midnight to 5:00. That works for most days. For the few days when the battery is very low and that window isn't sufficient I just turn the timer off when I plug in. I don't know about your rate structure but, other than the summer peak rate, the absolute price difference for most electric schedules is pretty minimal. You can start looking and think that there is a large percentage difference at different times of day, and there might be, but there isn't much absolute difference when you translate that into monthly dollars. EVs are just incredibly cheap to run.

I will consider testing your theory on how an unset timer works. I have a hardwired Clipper Creek CS-100; we don't get no free stuff in Virginia unless you drive a Volt, and our Super-Off-Peak begins at 1am, not midnight; it's 4 hours long. But just to be clear, what you're suggesting is:

Timer 1:

00:00 - 06:00 to 100%
No days assigned

Timer 2:

23:00 - 23:55 (to 100%)
Assign Sun-Thurs

Day assignments:

Mon: Timer 2
Tue: Timer 2
Wed: Timer 2
Thurs: Timer 2
Fri: No Timer
Sat: No Timer
Sun: Timer 2

Is that correct? Mind you, I like to do 80% when I can so I prefer 80% on Sat and Sun. With 100% charge in the morning, I usually get home with only 17% battery remaining so I can't do 80% everyday. As I drive about 72 mi daily it means about 3.6 mi/kWh actual efficiency even though the car reports 4.1, but I'm not complaining; 3.6 isn't that bad. But alas, it means without charge at work 80% won't cut it.

@TimeHorse:

I have read this long discussion and tried to understand your situation; it seems to me that you are aware that you can not fully charge during your "Super off-peak" time slot (because it is only 4hr long) and therefore, you know that you will have to buy some electricity at "Off-peak" rates.

What I would do, is make sure that I charge during the entire 4 hours at Supper off-peak rate, and then overlap some before, and some after (if it doesn't make a difference and the rates before 1am are the same as after 5am).

I will assume that you need to replenish 83% of the 21kWh available in the traction pack (17.5kWh) plus charging losses (let's say 20kWh in total from the wall); at 240V/16A, that is about 5hr 15min.

What about setting a (Timer 1 to 100%) start timer of 00:01 Monday to Friday? that would charge the car with 1 hour of off-peak and 4 hours of super off peak plus 15 minutes of off peak again after 5am. If you want to be sure that the car will not stop charging before 5am (in case you had driven less that day), you could set it to start as 00:30 and the car will still use 30 minutes at night rate, all 4 hours of super off-peak and then 45 minutes after 5am at night rate.

Considering how inexpensive it is to operate an EV, anything at non-peak hours is good.

Timer 2 can be to 80% sat-sun starting at 01:00 (SOC after Friday drive can, very likely, go to 80% in 4 hours)

amtoro said:
Considering how inexpensive it is to operate an EV, anything at non-peak hours is good.
+1. I'm on a standard residential tiered rate plan and generally pay between $0.13 and $0.23 per kWh. Even at those relatively high electric rates the LEAF is very cheap to run. While I might eventually switch to a different rate plan and possibly install solar, the current cost of our electric bills is among the least of our concerns.

amtoro said:
I will assume that you need to replenish 83% of the 21kWh available in the traction pack (17.5kWh) plus charging losses (let's say 20kWh in total from the wall); at 240V/16A, that is about 5hr 15min.

What about setting a (Timer 1 to 100%) start timer of 00:01 Monday to Friday? that would charge the car with 1 hour of off-peak and 4 hours of super off peak plus 15 minutes of off peak again after 5am. If you want to be sure that the car will not stop charging before 5am (in case you had driven less that day), you could set it to start as 00:30 and the car will still use 30 minutes at night rate, all 4 hours of super off-peak and then 45 minutes after 5am at night rate.

Timer 2 can be to 80% sat-sun starting at 01:00 (SOC after Friday drive can, very likely, go to 80% in 4 hours)

I don't mind using Off-Peak rates, I just ket irked when not all of Super-Off-Peak is taken advantage of or when it jumps into Peak which begins at 6am. So your plan is reasonable given my 17% observation (typically 58% when I leave work) but keep in mind what you're suggesting is starting with 83%, get to work with some but leave with 41% and get home potentially in turtle mode. It's cutting the margin a bit thin. But your point is well taken if a fixed 6-hour window is always used from 00h00 to 06h00 though I'd like to leave for work earlier. It's certainly something to think about.

Anyway, I've got tonight set for "finish by 06:00" so we'll see where it ends. Might be a bit of peak on the back end and wasted super-off-peak in the front end, that'd be my guess. I though P1274 would have fixed the charge timer inaccuracy, but alas probably not. Well, I'm hoping to meet with a Nissan Rep tomorrow so I promise you she'll be getting an ear full!

TimeHorse said:
what you're suggesting is starting with 83%, get to work with some but leave with 41% and get home potentially in turtle mode.

I think you misunderstood me there; I mentioned replenishing the 83% spent during the day's drive (from 100% down to 17%). And start every day at 100%.

Try one day starting at 00:01 and request a "charge stopped" message to go to your smartphone and see at what time it finished. I constantly see mine charging from 2am to something in between 4:45 and 5:25 depending on the climate control use or speed during my commute. I use about 47% of the charge every day.

Funny how a topic about the recall/upgrade has morphed into a thread about charging timers. Yes, I know, it happens all the time. Moderators slacking off a little? ;)

Back