50,000 miles on my LEAF GID shows 243 at full charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorSFGuy

(Revised)

Last week, I rolled through 50,000 miles. Indicated capacity loss of about 13% - in line with my previous observations of reduced range.

I still have all bars showing. The car has been trouble free - save some grease on the passenger window. It seems that a future model will address many of the things we have all complained about - fabric seats, a nearly non functioning heater.

So if you have questions, please send them along. Just wanted to let you know that a LEAF has crossed this mileage threshold.

so we essentially have a LEAF with 3 years and 4 months of wear on it @15,000 a year insurance company standards or perhaps 4 years and 2 months worth @12,000 a year in car warranty standards.

either way, you are holding up to the 20% in 5 years goal. i know you really stretch the range of the LEAF twice a day, so guessing you are going to have to get a boost on the way come winter time?

Congratulations on the anniversary, Steve! Look forward to seeing the Gid data (still digesting the trip logs you posted in another thread).

DaveinOlyWA said:
so we essentially have a LEAF with 3 years and 4 months of wear on it @15,000 a year insurance company standards or perhaps 4 years and 2 months worth @12,000 a year in car warranty standards. Either way, you are holding up to the 20% in 5 years goal.?
Therein lies the problem, IMHO. There is no doubt in my mind that Nissan has performed accelerated aging tests, where they racked up a lot of miles very quickly, similar to what Steve is doing with his Leaf. Possibly even in hot environments. And it looks like their capacity loss projections are largely based on such numbers.

surfingslovak said:
Therein lies the problem, IMHO. I have no doubt in my mind that Nissan has performed accelerated aging tests, where they racked up a lot of miles very quickly, similar to what Steve is doing with his Leaf. And it looks like their capacity loss projections are largely based such numbers.
If they accurately predicted cycling loss (in a cool to moderate climate), but didn't accurately account for calendar loss, they (and we Leaf owners) are in for big trouble. :twisted:

Stoaty said:
If they accurately predicted cycling loss (in a cool to moderate climate), but didn't accurately account for calendar loss, they (and we Leaf owners) are in for big trouble. :twisted:
I hope not, but there is something amiss, given all the data we are looking at. It would be great to know a little more about their test approach. Perhaps Nissan could brag a little, just like Tesla did? That's at least what a friend suggested, and I really value his opinion.

Originally Goshn said 30% loss in 7-10 years, then suddenly they started saying 20% loss in 5 years. Does anyone know when the change in the story happened?

Herm said:
Originally Goshn said 30% loss in 7-10 years, then suddenly they started saying 20% loss in 5 years. Does anyone know when the change in the story happened?
I can not find the link for it right now, but the numbers I wrote down were 20% loss in 5 years and 30% loss in 10 years.

For me I would thrilled if my pack would only loose 20% in five years, but based on the GID numbers I have right now that is a questionable number.

TaylorSFGuy must be doing something right with his car. What is your secret for long battery life?

yeah, the trouble in my mind is that this is in one of the most mild climates in the US. When I heard Nissan had fully tested the car in Phoenix, I assumed that the NW climate would provide better than expected pack life, now it appears we may be one of the only areas that sees 20% in 5 years or equivalent mileage. my conclusion is that TMS should be included in all vehicles regardless of where they are sold...

DaveinOlyWA said:
so we essentially have a LEAF with 3 years and 4 months of wear on it @15,000 a year insurance company standards or perhaps 4 years and 2 months worth @12,000 a year in car warranty standards.

either way, you are holding up to the 20% in 5 years goal. i know you really stretch the range of the LEAF twice a day, so guessing you are going to have to get a boost on the way come winter time?

KJD said:
TaylorSFGuy must be doing something right with his car. What is your secret for long battery life?
His battery gets thermal management courtesy of the nice and cool Seattle climate.

Fantastic! Thanks for supporting your "local" electric utility, or was it on solar?

If you previously drove a 20 MPG car that's 2,500 gallons of gasoline not burned up. At $4/gal that's $10000 not spent on gas. And about $3000 not sent overseas to pay for foreign oil!!!

Beautiful.

drees said:
KJD said:
His battery gets thermal management courtesy of the nice and cool Seattle climate.

That and time to drive 130 mile per day average plus 2 full L2 charges all within 15 months means very little time the pack sits at highSOC

Herm said:

It changed no later than the date when Gudy picked up his car. The disclosure form that we all had to sign when we took delivery of our cars states:

"Gradual loss of battery capacity. Like all lithium ion batteries, the 2011 LEAF battery will experience a reduction in the amount of electricity or charge it can hold over time, resulting in a reduction of the vehicle's range. This is normal and expected. The rate of reduction cannot be assured, however, the battery is expected to maintain approximately 80% of its initial capacity after 5 years of normal operation and recommended care, but this is not guaranteed...."

That's how I formed my expectation of 4% capacity loss per year, which I fed back to Nissan in the latest questionnaire.

We have just passed 25,000 miles, over 15 months ownership. The capacity is still at 73 freeway miles. Must say the GOM is much more precise now since the update. Just don't know how it affected the range below 3 miles remaining (3 lines). It used to be about 6 freeway miles on VLBC. Haven't had a chance to try what is it now before turtle.

We charge 100% at all times at night, driving every day at least 40 miles. Recharge daytime until the time car is needed -- could be any level except 100%. Thinking about it, I wouldn't know what to do if I had a 6.6. That would make me nervous! :mrgreen:

Coastal Ca, no major heat.

Happy as a clam for now. But kinda waiting for Spark with supposedly 200 mile range in 2014. Seems that Nissan is hesitant to consider more advanced batteries (A123, Envia) GM is testing. That heat related range loss will be their undoing. I could not drive this car with 14 mile loss, down to 60 mile range.

ILETRIC said:
Happy as a clam for now. But kinda waiting for Spark with supposedly 200 mile range in 2014. Seems that Nissan is hesitant to consider more advanced batteries (A123, Envia) GM is testing.
I wouldn't count on it. Judging by some interesting comments about Envia (I posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&p=224783#p224783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), if they're true, then I think the 200 mile range Spark and Envia are just FUD.

ILETRIC said:
But kinda waiting for Spark with supposedly 200 mile range in 2014. Seems that Nissan is hesitant to consider more advanced batteries (A123, Envia) GM is testing.
I hope you don't mind waiting for 3 years or so.

Back