Abormally low trip mileage for amount of charging yesterday.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

Yesterday I took a trip from Camarillo to Northridge. About 78 mile trip, with a couple of miles driving around looking for the new Chademo charger at the CSUN campus.

So I left the house after fully charging the battery to 100%

LEAF ELM APP:
94.2% SOC
88.68%/58.76 Capacity
89.8F Battery Temp

Arrived in Canoga Park...(approx. 29 miles away) with about 6 bars of charge left. ( I know, unscientific, but I didn't bring my camera in which I normally record all the ELM app screen shots). Charged for 1 hr at the Westfield Mall (Tesla Station Area). Left with 8 bars remaining. Drove to Northridge. Trip Length about 37 miles now.

Left Northridge to search for the new DCFC at the CSUN campus.
Charged there for about 23 minutes. Went from 6 charge bars to 11 bars.
Started at about 42kWh and tapered down to about 6kWh, at which time I terminated the charge session.
Charger stated I was at 97%, LEAF ELM app stated 83%. Why the huge 14% difference? Is that because my battery capacity is below 90% now?

Got home back to Camarillo with 3 bars remaining and 80.8 miles total trip length.
Total charge time to get it back to 100% was another 4hrs.

So in summary:

Left with full 100% charge..
+1 hr of L2 charge (+2 bars)
+23 minutes of DCFC (5 bars)
+3.6hrs L2 to full again.

To go only 80 miles! When the car was new, I made the trip on one charge (barely).
Battery range is becoming noticeably more compromised.

On a side note, it was nice to go to CSUN with 2 Chademo chargers requiring no fob to operate them 24/7.

ELROY said:
Yesterday I took a trip from Camarillo to Northridge. ...
...To go only 80 miles! When the car was new, I made the trip on one charge (barely).
Battery range is becoming noticeably more compromised...
Had the same "problem" with my Fit EV going Ventura to Hollywood Friday.

Santa Ana winds.

ELROY said:
... Charger stated I was at 97%, LEAF ELM app stated 83%. Why the huge 14% difference? Is that because my battery capacity is below 90% now?. ...
Because the LEAF lies to the charger. If you start below 50%, you get an 80% charge even if you wanted a 100% charge, and charge percentage reads like this.

ELROY said:
On a side note, it was nice to go to CSUN with 2 Chademo chargers requiring no fob to operate them 24/7.

Thanks for that info. I was happy to see a QC station available as in between my commute finally via plugshare but they didn't post any availability info on it. Glad it is 24/7! How much was it?

Back