Adapter for 240 use

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rg8043

We have a 240 50 amp outlet in the garage and would like to use it to charge a 2014 Leaf, that my son owns. Went to the nissan dealer to find out if they sell an adapter, and no one at the dealership could answer any of my questions. Luckily I found this forum.

I searched many of the posts, but I am not sure I really understand exactly what I need, is there such a product/adapter out there that would allow one to charge at a 240 and at 110?

Thank You in advance for your help.

The portable EVSE that came with LEAFs from 2014 were 120v only. You *could* rewire the 14-50 wires for 120v and install a 20 Amp receptacle but that would cost you parts and electrician labor and leave you with a crappy charging solution.

The much better approach is to buy a 240V EVSE online that operates at 30 - 40 Amps with a 14-50 plug if the LEAF can take 6 kW, or a lower Amp EVSE if the LEAF is limited to 3 kW

You need an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) unit that is designed to plug in to a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The portable Nissan EVSE that came with the 2014 LEAF requires a 15- or 20-ampere, 120-volt receptacle (unless it has been modified). Nissan makes an EVSE that comes with some newer LEAF's which will plug in to a 240-volt NEMA 14-50 receptacle (includes an adapter for 120-volt receptacles). You can buy Clipper Creek or other 240-volt units for less cost. There are some units available that can be used on both 120 volts and 240 volts with suitable adapter plugs and current output adjustments. There are numerous threads on this forum that discuss various EVSE's that are available.

Deciding which EVSE to buy will feel like Alice going down the rabbit hole. Start first by figuring out the max kW or Amps your LEAF can accept. Perhaps the easiest is to go to a public station that shows the kW while charging.

Then price Vs quality:
Cheapest: generic chinese like the link Alozzy gave. Usually OK, but I do not gamble where electrical safety is concerned.
Next cheapest: the generic brand of clipper creek called AmazingE (derated but good quality) -- https://www.amazon.com/AmazingE-Charging-Station-Electric-Equipment/dp/B06XSLYDLH/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=amazing-e+evse&qid=1639135630&sr=8-20
American: Clipper creek, JuiceBox, EnelX, Grizzl-E, ChargePoint

IIRC, there is a 30% federal tax deduction available for 2021

My advice: Choose between the AmazingE (3.8 kW, 14-30 plug, $350) and the Grizzl-E (9.6 kW, 14-50 plug, $460 for 18 ft cable).
You are probably going to find that the extra costs/hassles involved in dealing with the AmazingE 14-30 plug make the Grizzle-E the better deal unless you have a good reason to have a 14-30 plug or want a portable solution. If your LEAF is the 6 kW type then the Grizzl-E is the easy choice.

----
By the way, in case 'EVSE' is causing some confusion:
The wall socket provides AC electricity. A 'charger' is inside the car and it converts AC to DC and sets the voltage the battery wants. The EVSE is a cable with safety electronics that connects the wall socket to the car. Its job is to negotiate the power flow, and to stop power flow if a safety condition pops up.

Some older LEAFs had a 3.3 kW charger (also called OBC for 'on board charger'.) Newer LEAFs have 6.6 kW

---
The relation between Amps and watts
Amps * Volts = Watts
1 kW = 1000 watts
So e.g., if you have a 240 V socket and the LEAF can take 6.6 kW (6600 watts), then the LEAF can take 6600/240 = 27 Amps. A 3.3 kW LEAF can take 3300/240 = 14 Amps

alozzy said:
Short version, buy one of these:

https://amzn.to/3ELcnbA
I have a similar one and it works great but note they've now omitted the fact that they also work on 120v. The higher settings of 20a, 24a and 32a can also be used for 120v use but they require very specific circuits/plugs, not a standard household plug. For the OP with his 14-50 outlet, he should be able to just set it to 32a and be good, the Leaf will draw only a max of about 28a. ClipperCreek/AmazingE makes quality EVSEs but far less flexible, probably only L2 charging and non-adjustable, which would be fine for the OP if they only wants to charge from their 14-50 outlet but not as flexible if they want to take it on the road or plug into say a dryer outlet that maxes out at a lower current than their Leaf might be able to draw.
And note to the OP, while it would be possible to make a converter cable to go from their 14-50 outlet to a standard female outlet it is NOT suggested as the 120v female outlet would be fused at 50a and not protect against melting or fires, just not a good idea.

Back