All "Future" battery technology thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sulfur battery lasts for 1,500 charge discharge cycles:
http://eetd.lbl.gov/news/article/57182/holistic-cell-design-by-berkele" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This could be exciting! The South Koreans have developed a graphene supercap with a density greater than 64Wh/kg which is equivalent to lead-acid batteries. This is a record for a supercap. They also can be recharged in jut 16 secs! I believe these would work for a back-up storage device for PV. Here's the link:

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/521651/graphene-supercapacitors-ready-for-electric-vehicle-energy-storage-say-korean-engineers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Desertstraw said:
Nubo said:
Desertstraw said:
We have to assume Smyth was talking about batteries made by Envia, which announced it had developed just such batteries last year (and sent along the nifty cartoon image you see above).

I don't see any nifty cartoon image above.

Please make it clear when you are cutting and pasting. Use quotes, or the QUOTE tags, and give a link to the entire article, or some other attribution.

Otherwise it's like you're saying "I wrote this".

What do you think that this, "News Source: The Windsor Star via Hybrid Cars", means?

Who knew what it meant? The entire thing you are quoting, is unquoted. Which leads the reader to assume it is YOUR voice. Then there's the mystery image reference and by then we're wondering: Just who is talking? Where's the image? What am I missing?

The attribution is sprung on the reader at the bitter end and after much confusion. By that point we're wondering if it's you saying it's an attribution, or maybe you are quoting someone else saying it's an attribution? It's all very confusing. I see you tried, but take pity on the reader and make it clear from the outset that you are quoting another source. Establish the context. Don't make the reader fight their way through to the end to find your secret. Don't burden them with guessing where to insert mental quotes where you forgot the real ones.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57614443-76/sekisui-chemical-claims-cheap-long-range-lithium-battery-tech/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody see this? Could be very promising. They seem to imply that the battery tech could be available as soon as 2015.

Well hopefully this is real. 50% cost reduction with 18% capacity boost would be sweet, but seeing is believing given the last few years of battery breakthrough announcement myths (Envia, etc).

padamson1 said:
Well hopefully this is real. 50% cost reduction with 18% capacity boost would be sweet, but seeing is believing given the last few years of battery breakthrough announcement myths (Envia, etc).

Looks like the capacity boost would be much higher. Or that is what they imply...

Belongs in the future battery thread. With all the others that have been sitting there for release tomorrow.

dndrich said:
padamson1 said:

Looks like the capacity boost would be much higher. Or that is what they imply...
Purportedly 370mi vs 300mi = 23% increase, which I de-rated 5% to account for usual exaggeration factor. ;)

Here's more out of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab

http://www.designnews.com/document....84,industry_auto,aid_270173&dfpLayout=article

The new chemistry, which employs a nanocomposite sulfur cathode, could be significant because it potentially offers the traditional high energy and low cost of lithium-sulfur, while eliminating the cycle-life problems that have long plagued that technology.
A little over twice the density (450Wh/kg), but more importantly 1500 charge cycles which is comparable to present day technology. Unfortunately, like most stuff that comes from research labs, the article (like the quote) is peppered with words like "could" and "potential" and they've only got a CR2032 (camera) sized battery working right now and have yet to scale up to something usable by an EV. So I guess we won't see this next year...

I find statements such as this really annoying:

Some lithium-ion researchers are said to have reached 200 Wh/kg, which is still less than half of what Lawrence Berkeley’s battery offers.
The Panasonic cells Tesla is currently using in the Model S are at 250 Wh/kg.

Don't know if this will go anywhere, but definitely thinking outside the box.

New hybrid Li metal/graphite anode enables high-performance Li-S battery with significantly extended life

Researchers at the Department of Energy’s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) have designed a lithium–sulfur battery using electrically connected graphite and lithium metal as a hybrid anode to control undesirable surface reactions on lithium. Lithiated graphite placed in front of the lithium metal functions as an artificial, self-regulated solid electrolyte interface (SEI) layer that actively controls the electrochemical reactions and minimizes the deleterious side reactions, leading to significant performance improvements.

140109175504-large.jpg

Berlino said:

The guys behind black light has written his version of GUT based upon classical physics. http://www.blacklightpower.com/theory-2/theory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
why is pretty good for a medical trained guy :)

most physics trained guys are skeptical about black light, and assume the energy released is due to a some nickel/hydrogen chemistry.

perhaps they are right, but I keep an eye on BlackLight, that guy is really really smart,

another 2020 timeframe li ion chemistry
http://www.nec.com/en/press/201310/global_20131001_03.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its from NEC, so it could come to LEAF next decade
raw material cost should be low, its seems like a li rich cathode but with Fe instead of Co

LEAFfan said:
WetEV said:
Berlino said:
Is this real?
BlackLight Power
No.
it is a perpetual motion machine.

I don't believe it's pm. It has to have water and electricity to work. The demo later this month may be very interesting.
It has "cold fusion" / LENR written all over it. Let me make the prediction that this demo will consist in looking at some meters showing power coming out of a black box that nobody will be allowed to peek into because of "the patent pending" secret process.

10 GW per litter, 12000A... even the name sounds fishy!

Update: The Wikipedia entry about BlackLight Power is quite entertaining. First time I see a quote from a Nobel laureate with so many F*** words :)

Back