Anybody know anything about scheduled charging on a Kia Niro plug-in hybrid?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbquikcomjamesl

A couple of weeks ago, apparently encouraged by my satisfaction with my Leaf (and exercising his tendency to change vehicles as often as some people change underwear), my dad (who lives under the same roof) bought a Kia Niro plug-in hybrid.

(Of course, if the model designation had been spelled one letter different, I'd be wondering if Kia also had a model called the "Caligula.")

Of course, with less than 1/5 the battery capacity of my Leaf, and given that I charge 4 nights a week, 11 PM to 6:30 AM, whereas he can charge whenever my Grizzl-E isn't busy, it's not like we're going to be fighting over anything other than his tendency, at first, to hang up the charging cable in a less-than-tidy manner (I demonstrated how my cable hanger is supposed to work, and I think he got it).

But given that I'm endeavouring to limit charging to off-peak hours as much as possible, I took a look at the instructions for my dad's charge timer, and I'm having trouble making head or tail of how it works: in particular, what's this about setting a "departure time"? On my Leaf, all I had to do was set a time window in which charging was permitted without having to hit the override button.

Can anybody help me make sense out of this?

Back