Anyone ever done a swapalease.com transaction?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeasst

i skimmed over the faq but just wondering if anyone has ever done one? i found a pretty decent deal on a 13 with the mileage i need.

-does the lease technically become mine? am i on the hook for damages/excessive mileage/etc?

-what happens at the end of the lease? who's on the hook then?

blackbeasst said:
i skimmed over the faq but just wondering if anyone has ever done one? i found a pretty decent deal on a 13 with the mileage i need.

-does the lease technically become mine? am i on the hook for damages/excessive mileage/etc?

My understanding is that Nissan will put some stuff in your name, but the original lessor is still liable for anything you do.

Yes, the big stumbling block is that Nissan won't allow the original lessee to be absolved of responsibility or liability even when the lease is "taken over" by another person. Pretty much limits it to best Friends (but not for long!) and family members you actually trust (see above).

You would be responsible for excessive mileage, wear&tear, and disposition fee.

However, as others have mentioned, a Nissan lease transfer is almost like being a co-signer on a credit card. Even though you make the payments, the original lessee is ultimately responsible. Both of your credit ratings will benefit/decline based on your payment history. Once the original lease term is up, you have the ability to re-lease or purchase the car on your own.

Much too risky for the original lessee, IMHO.

so what happens after the lease term? i hand back the car and i walk and im done? its then back on the original purchaser to decide what to do?

MikeinDenver said:
blackbeasst said:

I believe there is paperwork putting it in your name so all of the above would be your responsibility.
your beliefs are wrong, Nissan leases do not allow for transfers the original lessee is responsible regardless of whom the car winds up with

Back