Artificial noise for quiet cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

I'm conducting a poll on whether or not people want artificial noise as a pedestrian safety alert on their EV (whichever they choose). It's important to get responses from electric vehicle owners as well as from people that don't currently drive electric. Many of you here are indeed experienced EV owners with lots of electric driving under your belt and I'd appreciate your feedback. There are options other than just "Yes I want it" or "No I don't".

Please take a minute if you don't mind to vote. (And then come back to this site! I'm not trying to divert anyone from here!). Thanks!

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-silence-of-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I voted, but....
We have spent how many years trying to get cars quiet, and now they are making them artificially noisy?
I get it.
I would like 2 switches.
Forward noise, and backup alert.
I would leave the backup alert on most of the time, and the forward off, unless I'm in a crowded parking lot where I wish it were louder.
I HATE that on my '12, there are no options.
I've been "MANDATED!"

I really Really Really HATE Mandated.

I'd also buy Jetsons sound, I'm not sure if it can be modified or not... Different sounds could be another income stream for Nissan... They have so much potential here to really change the market, I hope they realize it...

I think my 2012 LEAF has it right. The VSP is fairly unobtrusive but keeps the car from being overly stealthy in close quarters and busy parking/pedestrian situations. I've heard other proposed sounds which are far more irritating; the LEAF's is just about right. Yes it should be mandatory. You have an obligation to not present a hazard to others. Certainly not for anything as trivial as a dislike for the mild burble the LEAF makes.

In the past it has been an extreme minority view here at MNL but I like the VSP, especially the reverse beeper, which helps when backing out of parking lots. I do wish the forward noise was louder or more distinctive: in a noisy parking lot it is completely inaudible. But the forward noise is less important, because I can see and wait for pedestrians to notice my car. Backing up when pedestrians are hidden by monstrous SUVs or trucks on either side of my parking spot is helped a lot with the backup beeper.

dgpcolorado said:
In the past it has been an extreme minority view here at MNL but I like the VSP, especially the reverse beeper, which helps when backing out of parking lots. I do wish the forward noise was louder or more distinctive: in a noisy parking lot it is completely inaudible. But the forward noise is less important, because I can see and wait for pedestrians to notice my car. Backing up when pedestrians are hidden by monstrous SUVs or trucks on either side of my parking spot is helped a lot with the backup beeper.

+1! Well said.

Back