As an Early Leaf Leasee I Feel Under Appreciated by Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GlennD said:
Those that purchased are in a really bad spot. At least when my lease runs out it will be Nissan that takes the loss.

When we bought (April 2011), the LEAF SL with QC port was just under $38K out the door. Take away a $5,000 CA rebate and a $7,500 Fed rebate, and the final cost was $25,300.

Today an SL is $24,840 after all rebates (CA rebate dropped to $2,500) So I paid $445 to be an early adopter and avoid two years of gas station trips/oil changes/smog checks, etc..

Best $445 I've ever spent.

That is true, but you could get a 2012 MY for about 8k under MSRP end of last year because of deep price cuts subsidized by Nissan in the anticipation of the 2013 MY rollout, and that is before the tax incentives/rebates. That hurts a bit.

richard said:
GlennD said:
Those that purchased are in a really bad spot. At least when my lease runs out it will be Nissan that takes the loss.

When we bought (April 2011), the LEAF SL with QC port was just under $38K out the door. Take away a $5,000 CA rebate and a $7,500 Fed rebate, and the final cost was $25,300.

Today an SL is $24,840 after all rebates (CA rebate dropped to $2,500) So I paid $445 to be an early adopter and avoid two years of gas station trips/oil changes/smog checks, etc..

Best $445 I've ever spent.

this is true. I got mine for 33k with a dealer discount and the ETEC-whoochee included through BLINK, and the 5k rebate, so it was closer to 20.5k.

Valdemar said:
That is true, but you could get a 2012 MY for about 8k under MSRP end of last year because of deep price cuts subsidized by Nissan in the anticipation of the 2013 MY rollout, and that is before the tax incentives/rebates. That hurts a bit.

Not denying this at all. This is called the "boycott effect":
http://business.time.com/2012/03/12/free-spending-consumers-are-offended-by-deep-discounts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2153-prices-shoppers-mad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just remembering how happy I was to finally buy a relatively affordable, new EV after about 8 years of none being available on the market.

The fact that new ones are cheaper makes me happy that:
1. I can get a replacement (if ever need be) for less
2. I can buy a second one if I choose and save money
3. More cars will be sold (more critical mass, more likelihood for cool aftermarket stuff (LEAFScan?), more spare parts, cleaner air, etc..)

Fact is, a car purchase is a sunk cost. I'd feel much worse if I'd paid the same big bucks for an ICE car, because I wouldn't be enjoying the benefits of the LEAF every day.

Yeah, I don't sweat it, especially considering that I was looking to spend about 5k just on gas and maintenance in the following year on the ICE car that my Leaf replaced in Sep. 2011, and that is not counting unexpected repairs and depreciation.

Valdemar said:
GlennD said:

They are in a bad spot if their plan was to replace the car after 3 years. It is a widely known fact that leasing is typically (but not always) is a better choice for those who change cars often, and as we now learned it is even more so for the first generation of EVs. So if they bought thinking that trading-in their car in 3 years would save them money and now regret it was their mistake.

I think most that bought had intentions to keep the car longer and that the battery would last longer before losing capacity.
I did not think the first bar would have been lost until about 36 months rather than 16 months.

kentuckyleaf said:
dlich18 said:
When you make a car buying decision, especially as an early adopter, you make it based on the facts that exist at that time. This is even more true with technology. Just look at what has happened with computer technology over the last 20 years. One knows that what you buy today will be less expensive and more powerful tomorrow, but you jump in based on your need and return on investment at the time. And, who ever expects to be "appreciated" by an automobile manufacturer??? Something wrong with this picture.

Great post! will anyone give me $500 for my barebones Commodore 64?

Well, if I hadn't given away my entire 2 shoeboxes of software disks, I might take you up on that. My C64 was in regular use up until 1996. I miss that machine! Fun times.

tab13443 said:
Not sure where to turn to try to get some satisfaction- any advice??
What is your payoff amount ?

You may be able to buy your Leaf, sell it privately - then lease a new Leaf.

smkettner said:
I think most that bought had intentions to keep the car longer and that the battery would last longer before losing capacity.
I did not think the first bar would have been lost until about 36 months rather than 16 months.

Battery capacity loss is definitely a concern :) Mine appears to be holding up, 16 months 26k miles and no bar loss so far, likely because I went through only one summer, I do expect to lose one bar this year.

Kind of like paying $269,000 for my house, then a couple of years later seeing the foreclosure next door sell for $130,000.

Actually, the LEAF situation doesn't look that bad anymore. :roll:

evnow said:
What is your payoff amount ?

You may be able to buy your Leaf, sell it privately - then lease a new Leaf.

Highly unlikely - the market is now flooded with used and barely used Leaf's and with the price drop on a new one anyone with a 2011 or 2012 "early" lease will never be able to sell for the payoff amount. You would take a large hit trying that.

Spindoctor said:
Highly unlikely - the market is now flooded with used and barely used Leaf's and with the price drop on a new one anyone with a 2011 or 2012 "early" lease will never be able to sell for the payoff amount. You would take a large hit trying that.
Well, the trade in is about 15k. The private sales will be a few thousands above that. Given the $1000 loyalty program, there won't be that large a hit, esp. if he can get VPP pricing. He could be saving $300 a month - with 20 months to go on the lease, that is $6k in savings. So, it depends a lot on the payoff amount.

evnow said:
Spindoctor said:
Well, the trade in is about 15k. The private sales will be a few thousands above that. Given the $1000 loyalty program, there won't be that large a hit, esp. if he can get VPP pricing. He could be saving $300 a month - with 20 months to go on the lease, that is $6k in savings. So, it depends a lot on the payoff amount.

That payoff amount is after the lease ends (or you pay the rest of the payments up front). So for me my payoff amount is like $29k right now. The faster OBC is the only thing I would really want and it's not worth taking that much of a loss on. I'd rather give the money to Ingineer to put in a brusa charger in my current leaf.

The fact that I would have needed new tires, brakes, three oil changes, plus 466 gallons of fuel for my previous car does soothe me quite a bit.

JeremyW said:
That payoff amount is after the lease ends (or you pay the rest of the payments up front). So for me my payoff amount is like $29k right now..
Thats a lot. What was your MSRP ? I can understand something like that on '12 (since the price went up) - but not '11.

With my 2011 SL I've got a payoff of about 19K @ $420/mo, maturity date end of April next year. 29K sounds very high, even for a 2012 SL.

evnow said:
JeremyW said:
That payoff amount is after the lease ends (or you pay the rest of the payments up front). So for me my payoff amount is like $29k right now..
Thats a lot. What was your MSRP ? I can understand something like that on '12 (since the price went up) - but not '11.

'12 SL full MSRP. Maturity date Sep 2015. Shoulda gone to Fontana. Oh well...

Maybe I can lease a 13 near years end and let the discounts eat my high residual.

perhaps relevant, this was posted by 'nissan leaf' on facebook yesterday

Nissan LEAF ... We took notice of our '11/'12 owners response to the price drop. We've heard both the pros & cons of being early adopters and are brainstorming on some ways to show our first wave of owners just how much you mean to us. Keep your eye out for things to come. - Jonathan C., Nissan Social

essaunders said:

Nissan LEAF ... We took notice of our '11/'12 owners response to the price drop. We've heard both the pros & cons of being early adopters and are brainstorming on some ways to show our first wave of owners just how much you mean to us. Keep your eye out for things to come. - Jonathan C., Nissan Social

Nice! We'll have to see what develops. :D

^^^ Dear Nissan: I'm happy to help the industry along by being an early adopter. For my sacrifice, I will take a new DCQC in Yakima, WA please. Oh, and while you're at it, let's have one in Prosser, WA too just for those cold weather drives.:D
Also, since you're all knowing, feel free to contact me anytime to discuss.

Reddy

essaunders said:

Can you post a link to the facebook comment? I want to like it!

Back