AV Chargers no longer on ebay?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlestonleafer

Before anyone yells at me, sorry for calling them chargers, I know the charger is built into the car, but I can't break the habit. Anyway, there were 6 available yesterday for $630 each, and now they aren't on there? Does anyone know who's selling them? Maybe they'll be back on today, but that was the cheapest L2 charging I was able to find. Anyone know the next cheapest, aside from the EVSE mod?

I noticed someone on ebay is selling an actual Chargepoint station: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coulomb-Networked-EV-J1772-Bollard-Charging-Station-/150683305365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

charlestonleafer said:
They look really good, I wonder what the reserve is, I might be willing to pay a little extra for something like that!
previously he asked $1900 but now you just need to be on top no reserve

johnr said:
I noticed someone on ebay is selling an actual Chargepoint station: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coulomb-Networked-EV-J1772-Bollard-Charging-Station-/150683305365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder how long it will be until we see used units that look like they've been liberated with a reciprocating saw? :lol:

They are back up on eBay, but now he's up to $700 for them + $30 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-L2-240V-Aerovironment-Car-Charger-Brand-New-Home-Dock-/220886809953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336de13d61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder why the price increase? hhhhmmmm...... Schneider unit only $70 more from Home depot, with free shipping.....Maybe I could find a coupon online for Home Depot.

charlestonleafer said:
I wonder why the price increase? hhhhmmmm...... Schneider unit only $70 more from Home depot, with free shipping.....Maybe I could find a coupon online for Home Depot.

Does anyone know what the warranty period for the Schneider unit is? The Home Depot web page just says to call a number for more information. I called the number but the wait time was too long for my patience.

$700 for the AV unit on Ebay seems pretty pricey for coming with no warranty.

charlestonleafer said:

a few months ago he had them listed for $599 with free shipping, then there was a $20 shipping charge, then a $30 charge, then they went to $630 w/$30 shipping charge, now $700 w/$30 shipping charge.

It most likely that the lower cost alternatives are disappearing, I got the Schnieder from Home Depot for $729 before the price increase along with a $50 off coupon, now its $799... Also, EVSE buyng for the end of 2011 is taking place now, everyone trying to get the %30 credit on their 2011 taxes needs to buy before 12/31/2011, so its more of a sellers market right now.

mitch672 said:
It most likely that the lower cost alternatives are disappearing, I got the Schnieder from Home Depot for $729 before the price increase along with a $50 off coupon, now its $799... Also, EVSE buyng for the end of 2011 is taking place now, everyone trying to get the %30 credit on their 2011 taxes needs to buy before 12/31/2011, so its more of a sellers market right now.
A lot of this was triggered when Nissan raised the price of their unit by over $200, which has caused us to have raise the price of them (upgraded) by the same amount. This raised the bar for low-cost solutions a bit, and I think in this small of a market, it has big ripple effects.

-Phil

tjz said:
charlestonleafer said:

Does anyone know what the warranty period for the Schneider unit is? The Home Depot web page just says to call a number for more information. I called the number but the wait time was too long for my patience.

$700 for the AV unit on Ebay seems pretty pricey for coming with no warranty.

I called Home Depot today and they did not know what the warranty period was, but were going to research and call back within 2 days. I called Schneider and they said standard warranty on their chargers was 18 months, with a possibility to extend the warranty to 2 years for 1% of the unit cost and 3 years for 3%. The process for extending the warranty did not seem clear to me after talking on the phone with the customer service representative.

I ended up ordering the Schneider unit from Home Depot. Sending any more money on to AV, even indirectly through EBay just doesn't sit right with me.

Ran my wire today for whatever charger I decide to purchase. Still hesitating on ordering an AV unit. Wish something would come out that was cheaper, keep looking, still nothing. I just know as soon as I order one, the prices are going to plummet. Question, do you get any tax credit for buying the unit itself, and not having it professionally installed?

charlestonleafer said:
Ran my wire today for whatever charger I decide to purchase. Still hesitating on ordering an AV unit. Wish something would come out that was cheaper, keep looking, still nothing. I just know as soon as I order one, the prices are going to plummet. Question, do you get any tax credit for buying the unit itself, and not having it professionally installed?

Why don't you just upgrade your Nissan unit for under $300? In a few years you will be able to buy a better EVSE with the money you save and have a portable unit.

Well, I go back and forth about this in my head all the time. My logic is that it'll cost me about $312 before shipping for the rev. 2 upgrade since I'll need to maintain the ability to trickle charge at work. My commute is about 60 miles 3 days a week and 98miles 2 days a week. So as you could imagine, my car is never parked and unplugged right now, so everywhere I go I have to get out my charger and plug in. So I know the upgrade to be the most cost effective upgrade, but there is something to be said for convenience. I think it might be nice to not have to get the EVSE out of the back of the car every time I stop. Having the AV unit wouldn't eliminate all of the trickle charging, but at least I would only have to break out the EVSE on my long days. 5 days out of the week I would just come home and grab the handle off of the wall. Does that make sense, or am I just lazy? Also, I think, for $330-$350 I could have mine modified, but for an extra $300 I could have a whole new AV unit?

Back