Better/faster charging cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kortolani

Have a hard wired level 2 charging outlet at my house. Want a faster charger than what came with the car. Electrician recommended 50 amps but asked what my 2020 can support

28 amps or 6,720 watts.
A 40 amp setup would work fine, but if you want to future proof it, a 50 amp will also work if you want to spend the extra money.

How much power is your current L2 providing?

28 amps or 6,720 watts.
A 40 amp setup would work fine, but if you want to future proof it, a 50 amp will also work if you want to spend the extra money.

How much power is your current L2 providing?
Oops I don't speak electricity. The wall outlet provides 60 amps

Ok, what year/model Leaf are you driving? The current outlet already provides more power than highest level a Leaf would use in that case.

My memory is the highest is a ford lightning at 80amp. That they put that big a thing on it though implies it’s a hog. The big cost isn’t the breaker it’s the thickness of the cable required. My memory is you need 10guage for 30amp, which is approaching pencil thickness in copper. There’s also 8 and 6. 6 may be aluminum normally. When the conductor moves from copper to aluminum there is greater voltage drop over length and the wire gets thicker as well (so thicker than 6 but 6ga copper equivelent). If you have an in place EMT (EMT is that galvanized pipe you see around. It was the only way to run wire until romex came along so you see it a lot in older houses unless it’s really old in which case you have knob and tube. Knob and tube is so old the “tube” is made of jute) problem you may run into wire fill issues. 12ga will do 20a and is the same wire you see in many bathrooms. It’s cheaper yet. 20a 240 won’t make it go a whole lot faster though.

Last edited:
Thanks but charging station is already done. I was asking about the cable from car to outlet. Thanks for your info

Well if that lightning will take 80 amp it gonna have a hella thick cord. The one on the OEM charger isn’t thin and that’s a lot smaller

Back