Bike Rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
torkliftcentral said:
Here is a pic of the hitch during r&d. It sits about an inch behind the bumper and perfectly between the bumper molding with just the receiver showing. We have found that hitch mouted bike racks won't rub through the paint like a trunk mounted rack. Your hitch looks great!

p6.Nm8tsL
Previous post didn't show image so I took the liberty of fixing it up.
BB35720F.jpg

torkliftcentral said:
Here is a pic of the hitch during r&d. It sits about an inch behind the bumper and perfectly between the bumper molding with just the receiver showing. We have found that hitch mouted bike racks won't rub through the paint like a trunk mounted rack. Your hitch looks great!
Looks great! I'm glad to see a "proper" hitch company step in with both the 1-1/4" and 2" models. It drives me nuts that the mainstream companies won't produce a 2" hitch for smaller cars because they (presumably) don't want the liability of you towing a yacht with it. I've had a lot of interest in the 2-piece one I've made but my day job and family life haven't left me with the free time to produce very many. I do like that mine is 2 piece though so that it's lighter and not visible when I'm not using it. ;)

If anyone is still interested in a 2-piece quick release hitch, contact me as I just started what will be my last batch now that there are other fabricators out there. Hopefully I'll pay off the materials I just bought...

Happy Holidays!
Bill

I wonder if anybody will be able to figure out something for the Volt with that giant reverse light dangling right in the way.[/quote]

We have actually been developing two versions for the Chevy Volt. That Large reverse light placement was not the best call in my opinion. I will try and get some pics up as soon as it is ready. One option will be under the reverse light (this will leave limited ground clearance) and the other will be behind the license plate (which requires a 4" hole to be cut in the bumper behind the license plate). We should be able to have something to look at (and possibly order) within a few weeks.

Exactly what I'm looking for!

Regarding Torklift "2012 Nissan Leaf 1-1/4" Stealth Trailer Hitch", is there a reason this hitch is specific/limited to the 2012 model year LEAF, or is this a typo and it really fits 2011-2012?

Volusiano said:
torkliftcentral said:

p6.Nm8tsL
Previous post didn't show image so I took the liberty of fixing it up.
BB35720F.jpg

Great!! Just ordered mine. Thanx!

Question for torkliftcentral: So this requirement to trim some of the black plastic off of the bottom pan (whatever that means), is it easy to do? How much trimming are we talking about? What tool do you need? A pic of what it looks like afterward would be great. I assume it won't affect the functionality or integrity of the car in anyway.

Question for Phil: Do you have to trim anything off when you installed your hitch, too, Phil?

I would imagine it's similar to what I had to do; which was make two cuts in the black part such that a flap was created that can pop up above the receiver part. When/if I remove my hitch, this part will come back down and there will be almost no obvious modification remaining.

-Phil

The plastic that needs to be trimmed can be done with any utility knife. We use a small pneumatic saw just because it is faster. There is a plastic cover underneath the leaf that covers the underside of the car in the rear. The square is 5.5". 6.5" if I remember correctly. I have a picture of what needs to be cut out. I didn't post my last pic correctly so I will give it another try

p6.Nmtulc

Torklift: You can do the same thing I did; rather than cut out a square, just make 2 cuts from the back such that you are making a flap on either side of the receiver part, which can be pushed up above it. This way if the kit is ever removed, it can flap back down into place.

-Phil

You cannot post the URL of a page containing the picture, it must be of the exact location of the picture itself. You can sometimes (depending on browser) right-click the picture you wish to post, and choose "copy image URL" or similar, and then paste that into the IMG tag.

-Phil

Available soon, as plugged here:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1071297_want-to-tow-with-your-2012-nissan-leaf-now-you-can" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...while Nissan’s mass production electric car beats a gasoline car hands down when it comes to running costs, you might have noticed you can’t get a tow hitch for the $35,200 hatchback.

Now you can, thanks to Washington-based Torklift Central.

Available with either a 1.25 inch or 2 inch receiver, the $250 aftermarket accessory requires no drilling in order to fit, and gives a 2012 Nissan Leaf towing capability...

Another question for torkliftcentral: Are you supporting the use of this hitch for towing, or just for things like bike racks, luggage trays, etc.? The pics don't show the safety chain rings, so I'm assuming the latter. But if it CAN be used to tow (and understanding that Nissan explicitly states that towing is not recommended), is there a maximum tow and/or tongue weight?

I'd like to get a small folding trailer like this to do the occasional tow around town - getting lumber, fertilizer, moving a friend's refrigerator, etc.

These trailer hitches are only designed for bike racks and cargo trays. The manufacturers do not endorse towing with these vehicles. Our hitches come with safety chain plates. The hitches are rated for 200lbs. tongue weight and 2,000 weight carrying. Again, we do not endorse towing against the manufacturers wishes. Thats not to say that people do not use them for that purpose. People tow with the toyota Prius all the time.

Thanks!

Matt

Volusiano said:
DarkStar said:
If you live near Tempe, Arizona, you can get a free trailer hitch with a lifetime warranty on your Leaf from U-Haul right now!

Since I'm way up in Oregon, this won't work for me, but if you go to http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Hitches.aspx, punch in 2011 Nissan Leaf, you'll receive the following message:

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch

If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements.
Thanks for the tip. I live near Tempe, AZ so I took up on their offer and filled out the form. Let's see if they pick me or not because it looks like they only need 1 volunteer and hopefully I'm the first one.
U-Haul made good of their promise for a free hitch if I left the car with them for 3 days so they can use it as a model to design a hitch for it. I had it installed today for free. The hitch looks similar to the pic Phil posted of his hitch, except that it also has 2 diagonal bars from near the middle of the main cross bar back to the left and right rear brackets to bolt onto the frame, I guess for added support.

This hitch has a safety chain loop, but it's classified as a class 1 for bike rack use only. No electrical work was done on it. Max tongue weight is rated at 200 lbs. Hitch weight itself is ~30 lbs. It's a 1.25" receiver.

They removed the factory passenger side rear bracket (made for tow truck to pull your car onto the truck bed rear first?) and gave it back to me. They said tow trucks can instead chain onto the hitch safety ring to pull the car now if necessary. Or maybe tow trucks have a draw bar designed to pull cars with hitches anyway.

They also had to cut a flap on the black plastic cover case where the receiver needs to protrude out, just as discussed in previous posts on this thread.

Volusiano said:
U-Haul made good of their promise for a free hitch if I left the car with them for 3 days so they can use it as a model to design a hitch for it. I had it installed today for free. The hitch looks similar to the pic Phil posted of his hitch, except that it also has 2 diagonal bars from near the middle of the main cross bar back to the left and right rear with additional plates (hope I'm using the right term here) to bolt onto the frame, I guess for added support.
Pictures! :lol:
Is it a 1-1/4" or 2"?

Back