Can we lockout Pbrake whilst driving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supra410

Got a bit of a scare today. Was driving back from grocer having a casual conversation with my wife. We were sitting at a stop light. While stopped, apparently while fidgeting around. My wife pulled the Pbrake by accident. I didn't notice, but when the light turned green I attempted to take off, but with no luck. It was a little alarming as i thought my leaf pooped out. The brake warning message displayed. I released and was on my way.

I guess my concern is. What if i were traveling down the road? Can the brake be applied? I'd hate to turn my Leaf into an ebrake drifter because of my passengers wandering hands.

If this has been adressed, a link would be appreciated, as I found nothing about this.

The parking brake doesn't engage at speed and it should automatically release once you press the accelerator pedal if you have your seat belt engaged.

supra410 said:
Got a bit of a scare today. Was driving back from grocer having a casual conversation with my wife. We were sitting at a stop light. While stopped, apparently while fidgeting around. My wife pulled the Pbrake by accident. I didn't notice, but when the light turned green I attempted to take off, but with no luck. It was a little alarming as i thought my leaf pooped out. The brake warning message displayed. I released and was on my way.

I guess my concern is. What if i were traveling down the road? Can the brake be applied? I'd hate to turn my Leaf into an ebrake drifter because of my passengers wandering hands.
Yes, you can apply the parking brake while moving. The difference is that it releases as soon as you release the lever.

Here is what it says in the 2011 LEAF Owner's Manual:
2011 LEAF Owner's Manual Revised said:
- If the electric parking brake must be applied while driving in an emergency, pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch. When you release the parking brake switch, the parking brake will be released.
supra410 said:
If this has been adressed, a link would be appreciated, as I found nothing about this.
Here's one.

It certainly can engage while moving, we had a world of fun with it in the rain at an autocross last weekend. Leaf skids!

I'll assume it is there as an emergency brake, and therefore should not be disabled.

Seatbelts are always in use. I need something to slap my passengers hands away from the lever I suppose. The guy behind almost rear ended me. I guess he was paying more attention to the light changing, than actually noticing a red car in his path. I would rather it be a manually actuated brake, instead of the push pull button electric. At least the pull hand brakes had a lock button. Engaging the brake was impossible, unless your passenger was a malicious jerk.

You need a 2013, Mine has a cell phone / Spare Change holder where the 2011-12 brake was. I have an old fashion foot brake all the way to left of my foot area just like my mom had on her 1977 Cadillac Sedan DeVille! LOL

Back