Canada- Reservations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Statik said:
As for the dealer having a car, I wouldn't put any stock in that, all 20-odd approved dealers took delivery of a car in early September, most have just been hiding them in the basement...either because they are waiting for the tour to start, or because they feel like the whole thing is a huge pain in the butt, having to show the car all day long when they know full well that wont sell one extra car or make a dime more between now and 2013.

That's reassuring, and believable.
I'm going to be test driving on Saturday, when the tour goes through Oakville, so hopefully after that, I'll be able to order.
What kind of time span have people been experiencing between ordering and actually picking the car up? I'm guessing a couple of weeks, if the guy in Ottawa is anything to go by.

I just received an email telling me that my "pre-purchase checklist is now available".
I enabled CARWINGS, and now have a VIN (3697)!

Seems my car is in Vancouver at the moment, so I'll be patiently waiting for it to arrive in Montreal!

Do we have to wait until the tour gets through our area before the ordering process will open up? The tour doesn't arrive in the west coast until late October.

myev said:
Statik said:
As for the dealer having a car, I wouldn't put any stock in that, all 20-odd approved dealers took delivery of a car in early September, most have just been hiding them in the basement...either because they are waiting for the tour to start, or because they feel like the whole thing is a huge pain in the butt, having to show the car all day long when they know full well that wont sell one extra car or make a dime more between now and 2013.

That's reassuring, and believable.
I'm going to be test driving on Saturday, when the tour goes through Oakville, so hopefully after that, I'll be able to order.
What kind of time span have people been experiencing between ordering and actually picking the car up? I'm guessing a couple of weeks, if the guy in Ottawa is anything to go by.

If you want to have some real, stress free time with the car, don't get hooked up with the tour at all. Your dealer has a demo car full time, the 'tour' is just a publicity stunt. You can book another day with them and take the car out for as long as you like without all the hub-bub, stress and 40 other people gawking and waiting to take a spin. (provided you get the salesperson that is not a a**hat).

How quick you get it depends on which lot bc, ontario, etc. the car that matches up to your selection is at...plus the typical dealer routing system/checks. I'd say your at about 2-3 weeks inside the province, maybe a month if it is taking a train ride first.

tesla500 said:
Do we have to wait until the tour gets through our area before the ordering process will open up? The tour doesn't arrive in the west coast until late October.

I don't think so. It has pretty much followed the tour (sorta) so far, but I think they want to have all the 40 MY 2011s opened and cleared by the end of the first week of October, so they can reset/open up the MY 2012s reservations. (At least that is what a random talking head said to me....which you cant always put a lot of stock in, but it sounds logical enough to me)

Nissan still hasn't set the Canadian price for the 2012 Leaf. I hope it will be closer to the US price. They can no longer say that the Canadian Leaf is more expensive because it comes with extras such as the cold weather package. ALL 2012 Leafs will have this.

My first post in this forum...

I ordered my Leaf at Bouverville Nissan dealership yesterday. Model SL in white.

This is not an easy process. After scheduling the home inspection, I call the 1 877 NO-GAS-EV to cancel and apply for the waiver. No problem to cancel the inspection but they could not apply the waiver. I then had to call AeroVironment (AV). They could not apply the waiver as well. They had to send me the 2 waiver documents by email for signature. It took 3 days after that to clear the process so my dealership receives the request for quote. We finally closed the deal last night.

I am waiting for the delivery date.

With Nissan Canada to cancel the inspection, I ask to talk in French. No problem, the French is acceptable. With AeroVironment, ask for French as well. The call center is located in Texas and the French was very good.

I still have to select what charger to order. With AeroVironment, they said they need to figure out the best way to ship to Canadian customer so we don't have to worry about custom. They said they would need about a week to resolve this. For that part of the process, the people that I end up talking with only spoke English.

While I wait for AeroVironment, I am shopping around. I am open for suggestion. I really like the look of the GE unit.

BTW, this forum is very good !

rlav said:
While I wait for AeroVironment, I am shopping around. I am open for suggestion. I really like the look of the GE unit.
Salut Robin,

I chose to order the EVSE Upgrade, with advance replacement. This is I think the cheapest solution, and it's very portable.
I'll receive a portable EVSE that can connect to standard NEMA 6-20 240v & standard 120v outlets, and when I'll receive that, I'll send back my Nissan 120v portable EVSE to get a 600$ refund from what I paid initially.

Total cost (incl. shipping): 1032$ - 600$ = 432$ US
(Shipping back my original 120v EVSE will probably add a 30-40$ on top of that.)

The unit will be shipped to me using USPS, so I'll skip the demential customs brokerage fees that UPS/FedEx/etc. charges for US>Canada packages. With USPS/Canada Post, at worst, I'll have to pay the taxes plus a very reasonable custom fee on delivery. At best, nothing. :)

Salut Guillaume,

I want to keep the existing L1 EVSE handy in the truck to be used anywhere. I am ready to buy a separate unit to be installed in my garage.

I just talk to Guillevin, they distributed Schneider product. They said they could have one in 4 weeks at 857$.
I saw many good comments on this unit.

I should know for the delivery on Monday...

rlav said:
I just talk to Guillevin, they distributed Schneider product. They said they could have one in 4 weeks at 857$.
I saw many good comments on this unit.

That's the one I'd pick. Reading the discussion on the Aerovironment installations leads me to think it would be best to try an alternative, installed by a local electrician. I haven't started on that yet. L1 would probably work fine for me.

Schneider EVSE discussion:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2630&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Photos of the insides:
http://imgur.com/a/sKWSy#TkGic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just as a random thing.

Nissan will open RAQs for Ontario (and those west apparently) at some point today for the 2011 reserves (and possibly the people who didnt get...the 2012 MY will open tomorrow), so go check it out if you have been patiently waiting, lol.

Also of interest, apparently Nissan has been rumored to be out of the 2011 MY stock...and you might get pushed to the front of the 2012 queue. /not as much good news for you, lol

Edit/update: Not out as of October 4th $ 4:00pm

ElectricAvenue said:
Statik said:
EDIT/update: I am hearing that they have now alotted all the 2011s, so hopefully you were lightning quick on the RAQ.

I filled it out within an hour. It now says "waiting for price".

I was also able to RAQ on Friday, and am now waiting for the dealership to give me a number. The email said "Delivery will take 3 - 4 months from when an order is placed". I really hope they mean 3-4 weeks.
Also took the test drive yesterday - great to finally experience it. I thought the pedestrian noise (VSP) would be louder. Maybe being right next to the 403 traffic noise didn't help.

Just got a call from Southside Nissan, it looks like I was too slow on the RAQ :cry: I took maybe 1.5 to 2 hours to get it in after the email was sent. They're looking into delivery times for the 2012 model.

Should have set my phone to beep at me when I receive email :(

Update: The quoted price for the 2011 still became available in the web portal, and I was able to place an order. Not sure if it's valid though.

For those who ordered, and are waiting for delivery, I made a (very ugly) widget for Mac that displays the delivery status.
Put your username and password in the preferences, and it will fetch the delivery status from the leaf.nissan.ca portal, and display it.
The status will be refreshed every time you load the Dashboard.
Download it here: http://www.pommepause.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/LEAF-Delivery-Status-Checker.wdgt_.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine looks like this at the moment:
Image%202011.10.03%2010:28:31%20PM.png

ElectricAvenue said:
I filled it out within an hour. It now says "waiting for price".

tesla500 said:
Just got a call from Southside Nissan, it looks like I was too slow on the RAQ :cry: I took maybe 1.5 to 2 hours to get it in after the email was sent. They're looking into delivery times for the 2012 model.

Should have set my phone to beep at me when I receive email :(

Update: The quoted price for the 2011 still became available in the web portal, and I was able to place an order. Not sure if it's valid though.

Of interest:

I had a conference call today with Nissa's Senior Manager of Corporate Communications, and Senior Manager, Chief Marketing Mgmt.

Lots of good information today. Very forthcoming/helpful (as Nissan usually is), but specifically of interest to this thread is they confirmed they still have some 2011 MY inventory waiting to be merried up to customers.

You should double check with your dealer. HQ specifically said there has been some miscommunication/confusion with dealership managers believing 2011 inventory was tapped out and now talking 2012s in lieu...apparently because of the 'missed opportunity'/special offer deal sent out to those who didn't get to reserve the car...so you may still have a shot fellas.

Random factoid: there was aprox 12,000 people eligible to attempt to reserve a MY 2011 (within 65 miles of a dealership) out of 16,000 hand raisers in Canada...so if you got to RAQ at all, you were very fortunate

If anyone has any specific questions or wants some help/advice with the process on the 2011s, feel free to shoot me a PM or ask here, I might be able to help out.

Statik said:
Of interest:

I had a conference call today with Nissa's Senior Manager of Corporate Communications, and Senior Manager, Chief Marketing Mgmt.

Lots of good information today. Very forthcoming/helpful (as Nissan usually is), but specifically of interest to this thread is they confirmed they still have some 2011 MY inventory waiting to be merried up to customers.

You should double check with your dealer. HQ specifically said there has been some miscommunication/confusion with dealership managers believing 2011 inventory was tapped out and now talking 2012s in lieu...apparently because of the 'missed opportunity'/special offer deal sent out to those who didn't get to reserve the car...so you may still have a shot fellas.

Random factoid: there was aprox 12,000 people eligible to attempt to reserve a MY 2011 (within 65 miles of a dealership) out of 16,000 hand raisers in Canada...so if you got to RAQ at all, you were very fortunate

If anyone has any specific questions or wants some help/advice with the process on the 2011s, feel free to shoot me a PM or ask here, I might be able to help out.

I accidentally started a new thread with the following but I meant for it to be posted in here:

Hi,

First post here(from Vancouver) but I have a bit of a crazy story. I was in on the initial reservation process in Aug but I never could get my payment to go through. Nissan called me and left messages to say that I indeed was one of the initial people to reserve a Leaf and to "try again" to pay.

This went on (unsuccessful credit card payment attempts and subsequent phone messages from Nissan weekly - I would never get a confirmation screen) until....get this...last week when Nissan left a message saying "try one more time because they have figured it out" --- and IT WORKED!!!!

I have no idea if i have a MY11 or 12...

But after reading all the threads here the past day, I am a bit confused. My next step at the website is to get a home assessment but I see everyone is getting a waiver. I can't seem to find how/why you guys are doing that -- should I?

My wife is a bit nervous (and myself a bit perturbed because no rebate news from BC) because she doesn't want to buy the car without BC giving a rebate like ONT and QC is and thinks I should cancel and wait for that.

What should be my next steps? Call the 1-800 # to ask for a waiver for the home assessment?

I'm hoping to stall this a bit so that BC comes up with the rebate and then I can buy with confidence....

Any help would be greatly appreciated as so far my process hasn't been too smooth albeit it has been successful since I stuck with it...

PS The picture of the car on my dashboard shows a 2011 MY car so I must be one of those people you are referring to above....

thx

bradner said:
Statik said:
Of interest:

I accidentally started a new thread with the following but I meant for it to be posted in here:

Hi,

First post here(from Vancouver) but I have a bit of a crazy story. I was in on the initial reservation process in Aug but I never could get my payment to go through. Nissan called me and left messages to say that I indeed was one of the initial people to reserve a Leaf and to "try again" to pay.

This went on (unsuccessful credit card payment attempts and subsequent phone messages from Nissan weekly - I would never get a confirmation screen) until....get this...last week when Nissan left a message saying "try one more time because they have figured it out" --- and IT WORKED!!!!

I have no idea if i have a MY11 or 12...

But after reading all the threads here the past day, I am a bit confused. My next step at the website is to get a home assessment but I see everyone is getting a waiver. I can't seem to find how/why you guys are doing that -- should I?

My wife is a bit nervous (and myself a bit perturbed because no rebate news from BC) because she doesn't want to buy the car without BC giving a rebate like ONT and QC is and thinks I should cancel and wait for that.

What should be my next steps? Call the 1-800 # to ask for a waiver for the home assessment?

I'm hoping to stall this a bit so that BC comes up with the rebate and then I can buy with confidence....

Any help would be greatly appreciated as so far my process hasn't been too smooth albeit it has been successful since I stuck with it...

PS The picture of the car on my dashboard shows a 2011 MY car so I must be one of those people you are referring to above....

thx

HowDee Bradner,

I can't really speak to whether or not you should try to get a 2011, that is a personal decision.

Although it kinda sounds like you would rather wait a bit, and to be fair, if your not 'amped' about getting a LEAF because of possible financial concerns, your probably better off just waiting another 3-4 months and get a model 2011.

The obvious fact is that if you got a car now, you would be getting 2011 when 2012s of other cars have already been on dealer lots for 3 months, you will be taking another financial hit if you decide to sell within the next 4 years or so...if you plan to keep it forever (long-term) and/or run it into the ground, no big deal.

As for the waiver, there is no icon to get it. All you have to do is call the 800# (1 800 664 2738) and request it. When your system moves to the next step, there will be a place to read/accept it...there is no indication that it is there until then.

Do you want the waiver is the question. The main reasons to waive it are:

A) some of us already have an electric car (and charging dock)
B) you can order a charger direct and have someone else put it in on the cheap
C) you really are only ever going to charge the car overnight, and you seldom drive more than the range of the car
D) you really aren't sure about charging, and you just want to get the car first to see how it goes on 110, then you will call AV later if you decide to have it
E) you dont want to put out the scratch for it ($2K-ish)

As for why not to waive it. There is nothing wrong with AV to be worried about. They come out quickly, do a good job, know what they are doing, and are very convienient.

bradner said:

thx
bradner,
The main reason I chose to waive the AV assessment was all the comments I was seeing here about the ridiculous amount AV was charging for installation of their EVSE. When I spoke to an AV person here in Ontario on Saturday, they quoted me $2300 for the unit and installation! To me that's insane - for what would probably be an hour's work (the unit is around C$995). They did mention that the cash-and-carry option was now available in Canada. If your install is a simple matter, where the unit will be near your breaker panel, and if you feel comfortable with electrical work, or can get a local electrician to do the work, then save the money and do it yourself.
I'm probably going to go with the EVSE upgrade choice, since it's less than half the price, and makes your 240V charger portable - useful if you have a cottage or other destination where you can wire up a second 240 outlet.

Back