CAPACITY 2 years out.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkalexdc

I know there is a lot of Degradation stories, and frankly they scared me OUT of owning my LEAF here in Houston. I sold my Leaf to my sister in IOWA.
Heres the stats.
VIN #2018 Delivered JUN 2011.
Sold JUN 2012 , but NO Degradation
JUN 2013 My sister just had the battery check, and it has all 5 Stars in all categories, and the Capacity bars on the right of the Guage reads 12. Amazing.

It is not physically possible to have no battery degradation after 2 years, even if the Leaf was kept in ice water the whole time. What you are saying is that no capacity bars have been lost, which presumably means that the battery degradation is less than 15%:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want a relatively accurate measure of degradation, get the Leaf Battery App which Turbo3 is developing (info in my signature).

Remember that, without something like a Gid meter, you could have nearly 20% degradation (the point at which you lose the first capacity bar) and not know it since it will not show up on the car's instrumentation or the annual battery report... I personally believe that Nissan made the first capacity bar so large on purpose, to hid initial battery degradation...

gkalexdc said:
I know there is a lot of Degradation stories, and frankly they scared me OUT of owning my LEAF here in Houston. I sold my Leaf to my sister in IOWA.
Heres the stats.
JUN 2013 My sister just had the battery check, and it has all 5 Stars in all categories, and the Capacity bars on the right of the Guage reads 12. Amazing.

TomT said:
Remember that, without something like a Gid meter, you could have nearly 20% degradation (the point at which you lose the first capacity bar) and not know it since it will not show up on the car's instrumentation or the annual battery report... I personally believe that Nissan made the first capacity bar so large on purpose, to hide initial battery degradation...

+1 Gkalexdc, you may want to change your title since it is inaccurate. Tom is absolutely correct. A lot of people may not notice a 10% drop in capacity and a CB won't disappear until it has degraded close to 20%.

gkalexdc said:
Heres the stats.

I recall hearing spokesman Mark Perry say in early 2010 that their research indicated that most Leaf owners should expect to see 70 to 80% capacity levels from when new after 100,000 miles (I believe there was a vehicle age qualifier in his statement as well, but I don't recall that now). I average slightly over 20 miles per day and don't expect that to increase much if any, so if Perry's estimate is in the ballpark, I'll be more than happy with my Leaf. If I can be assured of high reliability or at least availability of parts at reasonable prices, I might not need to buy another car for some time...or ever.

25k miles in socal and still 12 bars.
i see range loss, but most of it took place all at once in october when i switched tires.

img2826yn.jpg

this what I got after charging 2011 with 5KM to 100% using 120V on May 18, 2013

2 weeks short of 2 years, 26k miles, and I just lost my 12th capacity bar last week. :cry:

I've switched over to my new Rav4-EV for my ~60 mile commute and now the wife uses the Leaf for around town stuff. I did find it a little strange that after one week of her driving the Leaf instead of me it loses the capacity bar. :/

I just celebrated 2 year anniversary for my leaf, 28K, 95% capacity according to Leaf battery app. If I continue like this, 5% loss/2 year, in 8 years I'll be at 80% capacity, well withing the range estimated by Nissan, so I'm pretty happy so far.

If true, you are one of the VERY few!

UkrainianKozak said:
I just celebrated 2 year anniversary for my leaf, 28K, 95% capacity according to Leaf battery app. If I continue like this, 5% loss/2 year, in 8 years I'll be at 80% capacity, well withing the range estimated by Nissan, so I'm pretty happy so far.

TomT said:
UkrainianKozak said:
There's a good reason that in the pacific northwest the LEAF is selling extremely fast...

BTW UkrainianKozak, even for your cool climate guys, capacity loss should slow down as time goes on - I would expect less than 5% capacity loss for years 2-4 if you got 5% capacity loss for years 0-2.

UkrainianKozak said:

what is the LEAF battery app?

gkalexdc said:

Oho... it is still May here in Europe :)

Den said:
gkalexdc said:
JUN 2013 My sister just had the battery check, and it has all 5 Stars in all categories, and the Capacity bars on the right of the Gauge reads 12. Amazing.
Oho... it is still May here in Europe :)
That's odd. I could have sworn that Europe would hit June before the U.S. Did they move the international date line? ;)

drees said:
TomT said:
UkrainianKozak said:
There's a good reason that in the pacific northwest the LEAF is selling extremely fast...

BTW UkrainianKozak, even for your cool climate guys, capacity loss should slow down as time goes on - I would expect less than 5% capacity loss for years 2-4 if you got 5% capacity loss for years 0-2.

We'll wait and see...
I'm not 100% sure that this is accurate measure either. I just recently stared monitoring the battery with that precision, so maybe my leaf had 95% capacity when I got it, so I have no degradation at all :) Or maybe it had 110% at the beginning...

Anyhow I only hit max of 250 gid when fully L-2 charged, it does not seem to me like 95% of 281 "full" gids. but maybe that's just because of out-of-balance cells or temperature or something else. So, I'm not yet sure if battery app gives you realistic or true remaining capacity.

Back