CAPACITY 2 years out.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Leaf is has just passed 1,5 years old, 15000 miles. I don't have the Android-app since I don't own any Android-devices, but I have a SOC-meter. 80% charges always end at 231, 100% charges usually end at 278 or 279. No measurable degradation on my usual 60 miles trip so far.

I'll beat the leafs in Alaska are doing great too! :lol:

jkirkebo said:
My Leaf is has just passed 1,5 years old, 15000 miles. I don't have the Android-app since I don't own any Android-devices, but I have a SOC-meter. 80% charges always end at 231, 100% charges usually end at 278 or 279. No measurable degradation on my usual 60 miles trip so far.

thankyouOB said:
thanks, Stoaty, but that explains everything; i not an android person.
Neither was I, didn't even own a smart phone. You can buy an Android phone for $40-50, another $20 for the ELM327 and for $70 you are good to go. Note that you don't have to activate the phone in order to use it as a display for the Leaf Battery App; I know, because mine hasn't been activated and it works just fine.

fooljoe said:
2 weeks short of 2 years, 26k miles, and I just lost my 12th capacity bar last week. :cry:

I've switched over to my new Rav4-EV for my ~60 mile commute and now the wife uses the Leaf for around town stuff. I did find it a little strange that after one week of her driving the Leaf instead of me it loses the capacity bar. :/

Same here. 35,000 miles and was testing Turbo3's Leaf Battery app just as I saw the 12th bar dissappear. The Leaf Battery app indicates I'm down to roughly 83% of the original capacity and 237 GIDs.

Oh and get this. I had the annual battery check performed the week before I lost the bar. Got 5 out of 5 stars for capacity. What a crock!

Bassman said:
Same here. 35,000 miles and was testing Turbo3's Leaf Battery app just as I saw the 12th bar dissappear. The Leaf Battery app indicates I'm down to roughly 83% of the original capacity and 237 GIDs.

Oh and get this. I had the annual battery check performed the week before I lost the bar. Got 5 out of 5 stars for capacity. What a crock!
Haha. I'm actually a little sad that it happened on my wife's watch. It's like I missed a big milestone for my baby. I also had the year #2 battery check performed a few months ago - on accident in fact. I took the car in to the dealership to take them up on an offer for a free tire rotation and car wash and they took it upon themselves to do the battery check as well, even though my 2 yr mark was still 3-4 months away. Now I'm thinking about trying to get them to do it again just to see if they still have the gall to call it 5 stars.

fooljoe said:
Now I'm thinking about trying to get them to do it again just to see if they still have the gall to call it 5 stars.
batteryproblemmnl

The battery report could be more about consumer behavior than the battery itself. The only real piece of data on there is the number of capacity bars, everything else provides feedback on how the battery pack has been treated by its owner. Perhaps the printout would be more appropriately named "owner scorecard"?

thankyouOB said:
EdmondLeaf said:
img2826yn.jpg

this what I got after charging 2011 with 5KM to 100% using 120V on May 18, 2013

please interpret for the non-gadget folks.
The SOC% is not very meaningful. The discrepancy between it and the GID% shows there has been some loss of capacity. The actual capacity is on a different screen of the app. I am sitting at 87% and clinging to the 12 bar at almost 17,000 mi.

Den said:
gkalexdc said:
JUN 2013 My sister just had the battery check, and it has all 5 Stars in all categories, and the Capacity bars on the right of the Guage reads 12. Amazing.

Oho... it is still May here in Europe :)
HaHAHAHAHA !! I didnt say the JUN 2013 thing right....I MEANT to say, the JUN 2013 Battery Check Anniversary, which she did in May, because I told my sister it was DUE JUN 1. LOL.
It also could be that those EUROPEANs are very careful with the language, versus, say, ME...LOL :lol:

I think capacity is a bit overstated in the app as well... :(
I just got a leaf loaner, inserted the dongle and checked the app...
it's 1012 leaf with about 5K miles, the capacity displayed as 101.98%...

Another thing I noticed is that temperature and/or maybe charge affects the reading as well... at least on my 2011 leaf.
On loaner I see the same values when I took it, after I drove on highway, quick charged it, left it sitting for few hours, capacity always was showing at 101.98%.

For my Leaf, yesterday battery temp went over 78deg for the first time since I started using the app, and I was really surprised to see the capacity number at almost 98%...
After sitting for the night the reading returned to 95%.

So... seems like getting capacity reading is not an exact science for leaf...

UkrainianKozak said:
So... seems like getting capacity reading is not an exact science for leaf...
It definitely is not an exact schience at all for any battery, unless you are able to drain it from 100% to 0% under a load which you are able to measure energy from very exactly, or charge it from 0% to 100% under the same conditions.

surfingslovak said:
fooljoe said:
Now I'm thinking about trying to get them to do it again just to see if they still have the gall to call it 5 stars.
batteryproblemmnl

The battery report could be more about consumer behavior than the battery itself. The only real piece of data on there is the number of capacity bars, everything else provides feedback on how the battery pack has been treated by its owner. Perhaps the printout would be more appropriately named "owner scorecard"?

yes, and you can see the capacity bar part of the report on your dashboard.

Back