CarCharging Inc now $.49 per kWh, instead of $2.40/hr

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's better than the fixed hourly rate for 3.3kw LEAFs, but worse for 6.6kw "others". It also could encourage blocking the spot. Is it me, or are they over charging?

is $1.29 for a bottle of water overcharging? if you think so, you would be right but would it stop you? doesnt stop 14 million purchases DAILY...

the blocking question is not really a question. if each charger does not address a minimum of 2 parking spaces (4 is preferred) then the installer deserves to lose that revenue

So, $5.00 for 10kWh, which for typical drivers would be about 40 miles.

Using my Volt for the economic analysis.

10kWh = 40 miles = $5.00
1 gallon gas = 40 miles = $3.50

Hey Cheezmo!! i seem to have missed the greater maintenance needs, higher initial cost, AND the fact that if you think gas is gonna be $3.50 a gallon, the bill from your psychiatrist... (i went on road trip on Wed morning last week. got gas at $3.379 drove 540 miles, had a great time, got some awesome soon to be "one of a lifetime" pictures (yep, you guessed it, took pictures of glaciers; RIP :cry: ) filled up yesterday at $3.669... oh well, it was too cheap anyway )

That economic analysis doesn't match my usage at all. I will gladly pay that rate when I need the juice so that I can make the trip in the EV in the first place. You need to compare the total electricity you used in a trip (home + public) vs the gas you would have burned for the same trip. I gladly paid $2 for 20 min the other day to make my EV trip work out.

It's also like eating home cooked food vs dining out: you're going to pay more at commercial stations but it's good to have the choice.

Electric4Me, your user name matches your ideology very very well. you get it. i hope your words get around. the EV community really needs more of your thoughts

Yes, I love L3 charging for the Leaf, and will favor it for longer trips in the metroplex so that I can stay all electric. L2 is rarely useful for that kind of thing unless there happened to be one right at my destination. I've been in the position of having some free time to do L2 charging, but the amount of charging I would be able to do would barely cover the mileage to the station and back. A waste of time.

mkjayakumar said:
I don't understand why every cost comparison has to be with Prius? As if Prius is the exact equivalent alternative for Leaf. Perhaps we should compare a motorbike ?

Because it doesn't flow as nice; "I'll-Just-Drive-the-motorbike".... hmmm. No, I'm sticking with:

I'LL-JUST-DRIVE-THE-PRIUS (TM)

And not really worry about a developed EV infrastructure. I got mine, ya know.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Hey Cheezmo!! i seem to have missed the greater maintenance needs, higher initial cost, AND the fact that if you think gas is gonna be $3.50 a gallon, the bill from your psychiatrist...

I am just comparing of the cost of charging vs. the cost of fueling an ICE. I'm just trying to make the point that if charging is more expensive than gas, people won't go for it.

I am not making any projections, just going by prices as they are now. Sure gas will likely go up, when it goes over $5.00/gallon, those charging prices will make sense. Who is to say the cost of public charging won't go up too? We just saw it go from free to .49/kWh.

I trust the market will prevail. If L2 charging is too expensive, people won't use it and either the price will go down, or we won't have many L2 stations around if they aren't economically viable.

mkjayakumar said:
I don't understand why every cost comparison has to be with Prius? As if Prius is the exact equivalent alternative for Leaf. Perhaps we should compare a motorbike ?

And also comparing Gas costs with public EV charging costs is meaningless. Someone aptly gave an analogy of eating at home and at a restaurant. A cup of coffee at home costs me no more than 25c, and at Starbucks over $2, but we don't complain. And I spend money at Starbucks maybe twice a month..

I can only pity ICE owners that they don't have an option of cheap gas fillups at home.

in size, utility, etc. the Prius actually stacks up pretty well with the LEAF. the LEAF has slightly more passenger space, the Prius has a more flexible storage option which is negated if there are more than 2 occupants.

but the fact of the matter is, EVs are soooooo much the right answer for a HUGE portion of the population that any neighsayer has to cherry pick their ammunition simply because if they dont; they lose and its not a pretty fight.

look at the data provided!! that should be enough to see the pathetic arguments presented. Volt @ 40 mpg (ok, what if you are not driving in near perfect conditions?) or Prius at @50 mpg? now, dont get me wrong, drive the Prius at the speed limit and this is so easy to do but most people dont do it (see post above about my driving. it aint rocket science and i have no where near the patience to hypermile)

but all that is possible but $3.50 gas?? WTF :shock: show of hands!!

who is gonna base their projected costs over the next 3 years on $3.50 gas?? mind you this is an established revenue stream that has probably the most volatility of any other consumer product we know. so $2.50 gas is just as realistic as $4.50 gas...at least for a few weeks, maybe a month or two.

OR
the EV public charging infrastructure, which is new, searching for customers, trying to figure out a profit model and one that has already gone thru several pricing changes already (this is a perfect example) each change lowering the cost to us?

is this bait and switch? oh hell ya it is. there is no doubt about that! its like getting that awesome 4G Droid for $100...with that contract and its $30 per month required data plan.

but then we get right back to real cost. if gas stations had to sell gas for a profit, we would be "dreaming" about $4 gas. but they dont. they make money on CONVENIENCE!!

what does that mean?? that means you dont have to haul a cooler around, stock it with water and ice daily to get water. you buy it at a 10,000% markup. ALREADY FRICKING COLD!! now, did it cost a $1.29 in electricity to keep it cold until you got there? oh no. not even close and trust me, when you bought that water, you used up 45 seconds of that counter person's time but actually paid over 6 minutes of his salary.

or we could look at parking (the list goes on and on and on) i always look for the "cheap" parking at less than $2 an hour. if i am lucky, i can find one of those coin things on a side street (we still have them here) because those are only a buck an hour...but a buck an hour?? how much mark up is that?? the street in front of my house is free to park on. (i should know, being 2 blocks from the county fairground where they charge for parking makes my street a big target!)

but what is the alternative. take a bus? well that is a HUGE money saver, but best it can do is drop me off 3 blocks away and the schedule means i have to spend an extra 90 minutes round trip to do it. wow!! that is a hassle so i guess paying for parking aint so bad after all now, is it?

mkjayakumar i guess i am preaching to the choir. its too back more of the congregation does not get it

Bottom line - atleast for me - I don't care how much they charge for the L2/L3 charging. If it is available and I need it, I will use it, irrespective of what the rates are.

Because this is like buying a bottle of water in a gas station, on a hot day. I am going to indulge a few times a year, or a few times a month max.. For those that may have to use much more frequently there is theis eVgo monthly plan and such.

Because what I pay is NOT for the electricity they provide me, but for making it possible for me to drive my EV for longer distances.. pure and simple.

Cool, let me know where you are most likely to need a charge and I'll set one up there for a one time use cost of $500,000.

:)

Hi Steven.. how is it going?

I would like to stop by one day to take a look at your Volt. I am trying to convince my wife to get rid of RX 350 and get a Volt.

Cheezmo said:
Cool, let me know where you are most likely to need a charge and I'll set one up there for a one time use cost of $500,000.

:)

oh cmon! (i know smiley) we are missing the point. everything has a price. it could be efficiency, convenience or whatever.

the bottled water thing is a great analogy for a lot of reasons.

i am guessing most here have some understanding of the plastic disposal issues the world is hitting head on. after the Gulf spill, it should not be hard to correlate that an oil spill after the initial dumping is really only marginally worse long term than plastic bottle pollution so my aversion to plastic transcends the price which is realistically minimal just like gasoline which is the reason most countries sell it by the cup full (or liter, whatever)

so i have pretty deep seated emotional reasons for not wanting to buy the bottle but still do (mostly the family) a half dozen times a year (yes, i will GLADLY go thru the hassle of carrying a cooler, packing it with ice daily and so on...) because its a trade off. granted, like all of us, i always want to "win" in these trades, but sometimes a tie is the best option

your setup will be as popular at the $2.40 an hour charging setup was and dk how often it was used (i have never paid a penny for the 5 years of public charging i have enjoyed) but guessing due to the change, it was not popular

grommet said:
As of last week, CarCharging Inc owned/operated ChargePoint (Coulomb) stations have switched to $.49 per kWh billing instead of the previous $2.40/hr ($.04/minute) in any states where it's permitted by law.

http://www.carcharging.com/ev-owners/rates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is especially good news for any of their locations in paid parking lots, where you were previously paying for total time connected to the EVSE on top of the site's parking fees.
Good news for weak on-board chargers.

If the car really stops accepting current when the timer shuts off, you may be fine. I'd test it first, or (per Chargepoint's advice) - use their application (smartphone?) to end the charging session. [I'm good about moving my car promptly when the public charging is done.]

49c/kWH is somewhat higher than PG&Es residential E1 tier 3 of 34c, but not so high that I would skip the E-trip. I much prefer 50c/$1 hour though, and the 2013 LEAFers will too.

Stoaty said:
This is great news! I see that the Pomona College parking lot in Claremont, CA is listed as one of their charging stations. I often go to Claremont to hike Mount Baldy, but didn't want to charge there due to the hourly connected fee (I am there for 5-6 hours, but had $8.00 maximum before). Now I can go there, set my Leaf for an 80% charge, and only pay for the electricity I actually use (probably around $4.00). I will leave a card on the windshield letting others know that once the blinking lights stop they can use the station (plenty of space to park next to the Leaf and use same charging dock). There are 6 charging stations there, the only time I saw anyone else there while I was charging was when abasile had his Leaf there too.

Hmmmmm. Yesterday at Bellevue Square, Bellevue WA, it was still $1.50 an hour.

Four charge points, 8 marked spaces, 5 with ICEs, 2 with LEAFs not plugged in. Since the EV spaces are right next to the elevator and mall entrance, guess that is to be expected.

grommet said:
Off topic a bit, since that Bellevue site isn't owned by CarCharing Inc. Their pricing model won't apply. :D
Well, I guess I don't understand how ownership works. My RFID card was for free stations only, so I had to call Charge Point to get the thing turned on. So, Bellevue Square owns the device, but Charge Point administers it?

I have since converted my card to paid and free.

Back