Carwings Android phone problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alternative

Since taking delivery of my Leaf, here in the UK, on 1st September, I have been struggling to get Carwings working. It worked when I picked up the car at the showroom in Colchester, but never worked again after that.

I could not get a Charging Station Update or any data exchange with the car. I just got the error message in the car "Connection to Centre failed"

I fiddled around with usernames and passwords but to no avail. Nissan Carwings support were very patient and talked me through all the settings, but the car just would not communicate with the outside world. They suggested a visit to my dealer, which I did earlier today.

I left the car in the Glyn Hopkin, Colchester car park and helped myself to the free coffee. After a few minutes, their technician told me everything was working fine and invited me out to the car park to see. I sat in the car with him, but just as before, Carwings would not work at all!

Some clever thinking from the technician, when he asked me to switch off my phone....Result, everything sprang into operation! My lovely Google Android Samsung Nexus S was stopping Carwings from working.

When I got home I tried the phone back on again, but with Bluetooth switched off. Everything worked fine then. The simple act of Bluetooth pairing was stopping the Carwings data exchange! Of course, whenever I had tried Carwings, my phone had been in my pocket and it automatically connected to the car's Bluetooth. In fact the Bluetooth stays connected when the phone is in the house and the car is in the garage.

I have relayed all this information to Nissan support and somehow think it may be some time before a solution is found?

I did try my wife's Android Motorola Flipout phone and that causes no problem, so maybe it is just my Nexus S that has the problem? A pity because the Bluetooth pairing with hands free calls and stereo audio, works superbly well.

I hope it's not a Nissan plot to force me to buy an iPhone?

This has been reported here before. There appears to be something odd about the Nexus S (or the car, or both) that causes this scenario. Hopefully Nissan can get to the bottom of it... As far as I know, it has not been reported for any other Android phone. My HTC EVO Android works perfectly with the car.

Alternative said:
I did try my wife's Android Motorola Flipout phone and that causes no problem, so maybe it is just my Nexus S that has the problem? A pity because the Bluetooth pairing with hands free calls and stereo audio, works superbly well.

Alternative said:
I could not get a Charging Station Update or any data exchange with the car. I just got the error message in the car "Connection to Centre failed"
I had the same message while charging at the dealer yesterday afternoon. It resolved itself when I next tried at home. We have an HTC Thunderbolt running Android and missed a good opportunity to get an iPhone comparison from our daughter who was in the rear seat.

For background, we have been having challenges getting everything to work, particularly at home, in part, I think, because the phone also wants to automatically link via bluetooth to the home phone system. I am still wading through the Panasonic (home phone) manual and the Leaf manuals in search of the answer. If that academic challenge does not turn up what I need, the search of MNL will begin.

I'll be following this thread and hope that you find your answer soon.

Alternative said:
I am pleased to report that Nissan have fixed the problem with the Nexus S stopping Carwings from updating charging stations!

I don't need to buy a new phone now.
That is good news! Glad it was resolved before having to sink more money (I first typed "dollars" :lol: ) into a new phone. Our problems were all eventually resolved by digging into the stack of manuals.

Back