CARWINGS changing to Nissan Connect EV - ONLINE NOW

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
On Android my old Carwings app automatically updated to NissanConnect EV.

Did iOS not do that too?
I don't think that happened on iOS. I had an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1 until very recently. Carwings worked fine on that device, but it stopped updating over a year ago due to lack of support for iOS 5. Still, it still worked fine when I gave the iPad 1 to my daughter last week.

Then I got a new iPad Air 2 running iOS 9.1. The Carwings app does not work properly on this device and it did not offer an update. I think Carwings has been removed from the App Store.

On the Android side, my Carwings ALSO did not update to NissanConnect EV. Perhaps the OS on my old Google Nexus 1 is too old for NissanConnect EV. But Fortunately Carwings still works fine on my phone.

TimLee said:

Did iOS not do that too?

Mine did on iOS. It had trouble connecting to the server at first, but it worked itself out. It has worked well (if slowly) since the changeover. I seem to be in the minority here.

GetOffYourGas said:
Mine did on iOS. It had trouble connecting to the server at first, but it worked itself out. It has worked well (if slowly) since the changeover. I seem to be in the minority here.
Perhaps Carwings had to be on a particular version and/or still be on the App Store for the changeover to occur.

The same may apply for Android.

My iOS app updated automatically... and thus became completely useless to me until they somewhat recently fixed it. Couldn't log on for the first several days. Then could log on and the time was 8 hours off. And on and on. Seems to at least be working now, but MAN, what a terrible update/roll-out.

TimLee said:

Did iOS not do that too?

Mine did, but I think part of the problem is when running iPhone-designed apps on the iPad. If you don't explicitly ask for iPhone apps, a search will only turn up apps designed for the native iPad resolution.

Nubo said:
Mine did, but I think part of the problem is when running iPhone-designed apps on the iPad. If you don't explicitly ask for iPhone apps, a search will only turn up apps designed for the native iPad resolution.
Good call! That was my issue! I'm new to iOS 9 and the setting for that is now in the upper right corner. I hadn't noticed it. Thanks!

OK, I've hit a new issue. I switched cell phone providers and ported my number over to the new carrier.

Nissan won't send text messages to the new carrier but I can still use email notifications.

I like that the emails show the bar status.

I don't like that they are chock full of graphics and disclaimers that take up 20x as much space as the notification text.

I switched the preferences for notification on the Nissan web site but I'm guessing either

A. the provider change didn't take in the Nissan database even though it saved and shows up correctly after logging back in several days in a row

B. the Nissan sms server is blacklisted by the new provider as spam and never makes it to my phone

C. the Nissan SMS is somehow malformed compared to what the new provider expects thus it gets dropped by the sms server.

I'm not sure what it is but it's been over two weeks and nothing I've tried has gotten the text notification to work since I ported my number.

dhanson865 said:
OK, I've hit a new issue....

Hi. I would suggest you contact Nissan app developers. The address is shown here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aqsmartphone.android.nissan

For my part, I contacted them regarding the additional app permissions vs the old version of the app. They have reasonable explanations for each of the new permissions as they are mapped to app functions. They also provided a written statement on how they do not use any phone data for anything other than the app function. Perhaps this will put at ease other like-minded paranoids.

JR

dhanson865 said:
I'm not sure what it is but it's been over two weeks and nothing I've tried has gotten the text notification to work since I ported my number.

What is the name of this new "provider"? Is there a reason you don't mention it? Do you get other 3rd party texts/alerts?

Stanton said:
dhanson865 said:

What is the name of this new "provider"? Is there a reason you don't mention it? Do you get other 3rd party texts/alerts?

Old = Virgin Mobile (sub of Sprint)
New = Metro PCS (sub of Tmobile)

I didn't figure it mattered since it is listed as one of the options in the Nissan website. If it'd been some low end "other" option I wouldn't be as surprised.

the only 3rd party text I've gotten since was from the work guest wifi notification which gives me a temp username/pw to log onto wifi at work.

Hmm there are 25 choices in the drop down, maybe if I try choosing Tmobile even though I'm on MetroPCS it might work?

Old school metroPCS was CDMA network, new school MetroPCS rides on the Tmobile GSM network.

Yep that fixed it, had to choose Tmobile.

dhanson865 said:
Hmm there are 25 choices in the drop down, maybe if I try choosing Tmobile even though I'm on MetroPCS it might work?

Old school metroPCS was CDMA network, new school MetroPCS rides on the Tmobile GSM network.

Good deal: that's why I asked! Hopefully someone else that runs into a problem with one of these VARs (that run on one of the other major networks) will find this thread/post.

Stanton said:
dhanson865 said:

Good deal: that's why I asked! Hopefully someone else that runs into a problem with one of these VARs (that run on one of the other major networks) will find this thread/post.

Actually the term isn't VAR, its MVNO (mobile virtual network operator)

In some cases the MVNO is a subsidiary of the parent company, in other cases its a reseller but they still don't call them VARs like for computer hardware.

It's kind of like Lexus and Toyta. They charge more for the Lexus than the Toyota badge even if the insides are very similar. Tmobile charges more than MetroPCS and they use the same phones and network (just different bundles in terms of data per month and such).

dhanson865 said:
Stanton said:
dhanson865 said:

Actually the term isn't VAR, its MVNO (mobile virtual network operator)

In some cases the MVNO is a subsidiary of the parent company, in other cases its a reseller but they still don't call them VARs like for computer hardware.

It's kind of like Lexus and Toyta. They charge more for the Lexus than the Toyota badge even if the insides are very similar. Tmobile charges more than MetroPCS and they use the same phones and network (just different bundles in terms of data per month and such).

You are correct...I can't believe I mixed those terms up (and I used to be in the business)!

I've had NIssanConnect installed now for about 2 1/2 weeks on my 2012 SL. I was able to link my droid (Huwei - Consumer Cellular) phone with no problems and downloaded the app. Went through the sign up process at Nissan owners. Need some help from customer service as the car was a lease return and the previous owner' account had to be disconnected.
I'm in Albuquerque, NM.

Nissan really needs to work out the bugs!. I am able to connect about 15% of the time. Seems worship on my phone then when I use the website. At least on the website I can see it go to about 60% download before it crashes...

When it does WORK it is helpful and informative. Heck, I was even able once to turn on the climate control remotely!

So I'm still waiting.

Ok I had a leaf with carvings and my iPhone was talking to it perfectly just got new leaf as of 5th of Jan with new connect system worked for a week then app keeps saying updating and contact Nissan spoke to Nissan took it in for Tcu reset I have now grey car top right of screen with blue wifi lines and it connects to services like nearest charging stations ok but still won't talk to phone so spoke to Nissan again on call centre for an hour for them to say they are mithed and they have others like me with same prob tried deleting account and car then re setting up with no joy any body can shed some light on this I would appreciate it thanks

Stanton said:
dhanson865 said:

I have Consumer Cellular which runs off AT&T so I have been solving this problem by checking off AT&T from the drop downs for several years.

Hotnoddy said:
Ok I had a leaf with carvings and my iPhone was talking to it perfectly just got new leaf as of 5th of Jan with new connect system worked for a week then app keeps saying updating and contact Nissan spoke to Nissan took it in for Tcu reset I have now grey car top right of screen with blue wifi lines and it connects to services like nearest charging stations ok but still won't talk to phone so spoke to Nissan again on call centre for an hour for them to say they are mithed  and they have others like me with same prob tried deleting account and car then re setting up with no joy any body can shed some light on this I would appreciate it thanks

I feel your pain...

I apologize in advance for the post length, but wanted to provide as much detail as possible for others experiencing these problems, so here's my current saga -

Picked up new 2016 SL on December 29 - SF Bay Area.
ConnectEV has never worked on this car. I'm particularly ticked  :x as the ConnectEV functionality was actually a specific selling point for me; especially, the remote climate control feature for our foggy/chilly mornings.

I've gotten to know my call center rep pretty well at this point and I give her total props for being professional, but honestly its clear there's nothing she can do as from what I can determine it's either all backend or a bad head unit.

Here are the main setup params she said must be enabled - [note that on new leaf's where it says "CarWings" it is actually "NissanConnect"]

"...
From the Navigation unit:

Download frequency: 
Menu > CarWings > CarWings Settings > Info Feed Settings > Download Automatically > Select Download Interval > Power On 

Service reminders: 
Menu > Carwings > Carwings settings > Service reminders > Make sure this is on.

Information sharing with Nissan:
Menu > Carwings > Carwings settings > Information sharing with Nissan. Make sure this is on.

After you have checked these settings, please allow 24 ñ 48 hours for information to update on your Carwings account.
..."

The above settings have made no difference.

Here is the behavior I experience on the various client apps -

+ Browser:

I'm able to login to Owner Portal;
I have changed my account and passwords a few time already;
My leaf is listed in my account;
When trying to connect to the car from the Nissanconnect eV (CARWINGS) tab and click the “refresh” button, the page displays a progress bar which iterates from 0 to 30 and then returns the error “There was a problem detected executing the request. Please try your request again.” This has been the behavior since day 1.

+ ConnectEV iOS and Android app:

Logged into ConnectEV app;
[Right after getting the car, I couldn't even log in, but after account and password resets now am able];
After logging in there is never any data on the result screen. Shows 0 miles travelled, 0 mile remaining, EMPTY charge state, Charge Consumption 0, etc.;
Hitting the refresh button causes spinning update for several minutes (~4 min) before returning a dialog - “Service cannot be provided. Please try again or contact Nissan.” 
After hitting enter, the results page changes its status to today’s date and time with no data update.

+ Other client apps:

For the record, I've also tried Leaf Manager (Android) and LEAF Link (iOS). Both allow me to log-in. Neither return data. Leaf Manager notes that it "Gave Up. No updated car data from server."

+ Caveats/Color:

I have always been able to "activate my account" from the head unit and do have data updates downloaded for charging stations.

I have always had the gray car and blue data connection indicator illuminated on the connect screen.

I have app notifications enabled for the service, and every time I try to update, I receive a notification "Status update failed due to weak cell reception." This is a bogus message, as I've driven my car to various locations throughout a 50 mile radius into major towns with guaranteed 2G/3G coverage and run both the browser and client apps and have never gotten any different behavior than I've documented above.

Call Center rep states that they have reset the TCU remotely.

According to the 2016 Leaf disclaimers, they are using a 3G data connection; not the 2G in previous models. There were a couple of reviews that also stated that 2016 had upgraded connectivity. However, the folks at the call center did not know this and only confirmed it after I sent them links to the reviews and their own disclaimer. Would be interested if others here have further evidence on what connection speed they are using on 2016 models.

I have yet to visit dealer, but plan to do that this week. My first position will be to have them show me any 2016 Leaf on their lot where ConnectEV is working. If they can, then I'm asking them to replace the head unit.

Apparently, the LeafLink app is dead/unsupported, so I'm forced back to the Nissan EV app. It works, but is slow and requires a lot of 'button presses'. I have to do this: (using iPhone 6)

Sign in.
Hit the "update" button (little circle thingy).
Wait, sometimes takes a few minutes.
Press the Climate Control button (Fan symbol at the bottom of the screen)
Press the button for "Climate Control Off". "On" is not available.
Wait for "Message has been sent" w/Checkmark
Monkey around, exit program, re-enter, until pressing the CC (Fan symbol) brings up the "Climate Control On" button.
Press the "on" button and wait for the "Message has been sent" w/Checkmark.

Exit restaurant and enter my warm car.

My main problem is the requirement to turn the CC 'off' before I can turn it 'on'.

Is this the way it works, or am I missing something? It sure would be nice to be able to hit just one or 2 buttons and have it happen, that would be almost as good as those poor slobs with their conventional Remote Start fobs. :)

Back