Carwings mileage incorrect?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jle152

According to Carwings, my total mileage should be 3951 miles, whereas my Leaf's odometer reads 4864 miles. So, something is way off. Have other people seen that problem? Other readings incorrect as well?

Was there a time when you didn't "ACCEPT" your overlords at Nissan from monitoring you? I don't know if that matters for total miles, because prior to NSB11-041 firmware update, CarWings is as crazy as the GuessOmeter.

After the firmware update, it is still about 2.5% off on mileage when compared to the odometer, or Google maps, et al.

From what I see, CW seems to be showing about 20% less than my actual mileage (for any given time frame) and is always at least a day or two behind.

My CarWings mileage reading is currently 2553 miles when the car's odometer read 3912. Why the difference?

I believe it's due to having the Leaf out of cell phone range when I turned off the car. In June I had the car at home which always has a strong cell signal. However in July & August I kept the car at our cabin (which has no cell service) and only very rarely drove it to some place that has cell service. In both months I drove it about the same number of trips, however CarWings shows that I made 139 trips in June but only 13 in July.

From watching the CarWings data, I'm guessing that the Leaf makes a call to the Nissan data center every time you turn off the vehicle to report data from the last trip (where "trip" = the time between turning the car on and off) If for any reason, the car is unable to make a connection to the data center, all of that trip's data is lost as the car doesn't seem to buffer any of this data for more than one trip.

So if you drive your car to work and park it in an underground parking lot that doesn't have cell service, that trip won't be recorded so your mileage will be off by that amount.

Yes, my CarWings mileage is substantially less than the odometer. CarWings seems fairly useless to me.

Mike Harrigan

Back