Ccs1/2 to chademo adapter, north america

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting too. Also I just got me a SL+ so I don't have to quick charge as often, if anymore.

The trick is that here, QC stations with chademo are always the slowest on every sites, and so are cheaper by the hour, and so are always the first taken. Not necessary the smartest choice, but what can I do. More than once I've found myself waiting for that single chademo station out of like 6, and it's the only one taken. And by a CCS car. And nobody inside. And it's midnight. And I have not enough charge to get home or to another station. lol if only I was making that up ;P Anyway, for these situations, I'd gladly pay the 1.5K!

Are you saying a CCS car can charge at a Chademo outlet? Or is the CCS car just parking there, without charging? Why would he be doing that at midnight? That would be a clear violation of the EV code of ethics. Time for a nasty note on the windshield, at the very least. While the idea of having an adapter to allow my Chademo to charge at a CCS outlet sounds good, the price is way too high, at this point. Maybe if they can get it down to under $500 if would be worth considering, but until then, no thanks.

I think it just allows a chadmo car to charge at a ccs supercharger. It might work the other way too. I don’t know. This is all about phase 3 I think. Leafs HAVE phase 2 ccs

The real solution is for the 2025 leafs to have the Tesla connector and have it capable of phase 3. Then there would be no issue if there was also a chadmo port.

Stations with chademo connection here have both chademo AND ccs. But the station allows only one at a time, not both.

As for the EV code and ethic, was that ever a thing? I've had an EV for a year now and I've not seen much of it. Pretty much everybody for himself.

Tempted to buy one even if i never use it. Chadmo I is going to die in the US i think and the adaptor can be adapted again to tesla which is the new standard in the US. The company making them may die so if i want one for resale value i maybe should buy it now while they are being made

Are you saying a CCS car can charge at a Chademo outlet?
No. But as you guessed, a CCS car can block a CHAdeMO car from being able to use that dual handled charger. And that CHAdeMO handle may be the only one in the whole charger site.

A few chargers with two handles (typically CHAdeMO and CCS but later in north America it may become Tesla/NACS and CCS) can share power between two vehicles. When a second car plugs in, the power to the first car is reduced, but at least both cars get some power. In this case, if one car has finished charging, it doesn't impede the second car at all, as long as there is physical access to the parking space.

Last edited:
I think it just allows a chadmo car to charge at a ccs supercharger.
A CHAdeMO car, yes. Like a Leaf. Allows it to charge at a CCS DC fast charger.

It might work the other way too.
No. CHAdeMO to CCS is complex enough as it is.

This is all about phase 3 I think. Leafs HAVE phase 2 ccs
No; CHAdeMO and CCS are DC standards. 3-phase is an Alternating Current concept. "2-phase" is arguably nonsense, although an argument could be made that USA style split-phase power is "2-phase" (two active conductors, each at 180° to each other, with respect to neutral).

But There are two ports and one is the top half of ccs so you can do ccs phase one and ccs phase2 but not ccs phase 3. I’ve done both of them using that port. Only even opened the lid on my chadmo port once and that was to supercharge

Bombastinator's responses just keep getting more and more confusing. CCS will not work on a Leaf without some sort of adapter - period. I don't understand what is meant by the "top half of CCS". A J1772 plug will not accept a CCS nozzle in any manner, as far as I have seen. Here in Northern California, I have only seen Chademo EVSE units on a stand-alone basis - never paired with even a regular Level 2 J1772, much less a CCS. So I still don't understand how an EV using a CCS unit could block a Chademo EVSE. Do I detect hyperbole and obfuscation at work here?

I don't understand what is meant by the "top half of CCS". A J1772 plug will not accept a CCS nozzle in any manner, as far as I have seen. Here in Northern California, I have only seen Chademo EVSE units on a stand-alone basis - never paired with even a regular Level 2 J1772, much less a CCS. So I still don't understand how an EV using a CCS unit could block a Chademo EVSE.
A J1772 plug will plug into a CSS socket on the car.

Most charge station towers have two connectors, a CCS and a CHAdeMO. However only one can be used at any time. Several times I have been in a charge location with four towers and the eight connectors consist of seven CSS and one CHAdeMO. If a CSS car is using the unit that has the CHAdeMO plug the CSS car is blocking access of the CHAdeMO connector. This gets really frustrating if there is room at the other towers for the CSS car.

This has been done deliberately by suppliers that want to speed up the demise of CHAdeMO.

A J1772 plug will plug into a CSS socket on the car.
CCS
Most charge station towers have two connectors, a CCS and a CHAdeMO.
Many don't. For ages, most of Electrify America's stations were dual CCS and there'd be one lone dispenser with CCS and CHAdeMO.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/321716 is a site still that way.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/198205 was that way until they upgraded the units to next gens ones that are just single CCS on each tower. EA usually leaves the lone CCS + CHAdeMO unit alone.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/247356 was that way until recently. Now the dual handle CCS + CHAdeMO tower is gone. There is no longer ANY CHAdeMO at that site.

However only one can be used at any time.
Yes. True of most DC FCs including all of EA's. However, some of EVgo's equipment DOES allow both plugs to be used on a single station:
https://www.evgo.com/blog/simultaneous-charging-less-equipment-more-happy-customers/
https://www.evgo.com/blog/answers-to-5-of-our-most-commonly-asked-questions/ - see #5

Some sites have that like https://www.plugshare.com/location/309517.
Several times I have been in a charge location with four towers and the eight connectors consist of seven CSS and one CHAdeMO.
7 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO. Yes, EA does that. Presumably Electrify Canada pulls that crap too.
If a CSS car is using the unit that has the CHAdeMO plug the CSS car is blocking access of the CHAdeMO connector. This gets really frustrating if there is room at the other towers for the CSS car.

This has been done deliberately by suppliers that want to speed up the demise of CHAdeMO.
CCS again but yes on all of the above. It's part of Electrify America's sabotage of CHAdeMO that I've harped about before.

Back