CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
On the plus side, the Telsa adapter is rumored to not work on Blink QCs (yet).

Just checked and blink is now charging $0.49 per kWh in CA (rather than the all you-can-suck-up for $5, last time I used one) so I don't think many Teslas will want to pay up to ~$50 to charge, and so, won't be as much a problem as I anticipated.

Any "free" or low fixed price per unlimited session CHAdeMO's still out there?

That's where you would have to expect Teslas camping.

Looks like many S drivers could pay less per kWh to use evgo sites (do they limit session time?) than to charge at home.

http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
edatoakrun said:
Any "free" or low fixed price per unlimited session CHAdeMO's still out there?

That's where you would have to expect Teslas camping.

Yes, I know a couple, but you'll forgive me for not saying where they are. ;)

Just remembered one public DC myself.

I think quite a few semi-public Nissan dealer DC's are still free, but I expect Teslas using CHAdeMO's will break their free-for-all policies.

I'm not concerned about this and think it's great news.

I guess that most supercharging use happens away from home on long trips via freeways that are already covered by super chargers which are free and quicker than DCQCs.
q
I guess given the long range of the Model S most charging near home is done at home as its just not needed very often and charging at home is easier and cheaper.

Additional use is good as demand will cause supply to increase.

Any of the remaining unlimited DCQCs will have more pressure to finally implement metered billing which bebefits us all.

QueenBee said:
I guess that most supercharging use happens away from home on long trips via freeways that are already covered by super chargers which are free and quicker than DCQCs.

Nope. I've heard several times from MS owners on road trips who have had to wait behind locals at Superchargers. It's getting to be quite the sore-point. Google "locals at superchargers" for the skinny. They can spend close to $100k on a car, but won't spend $5 to fill up at home, despite the added convenience of doing so.

edatoakrun said:
Just checked and blink is now charging $0.49 per kWh in CA (rather than the all you-can-suck-up for $5, last time I used one) so I don't think many Teslas will want to pay up to ~$50 to charge, and so, won't be as much a problem as I anticipated.
Looks like many S drivers could pay less per kWh to use evgo sites (do they limit session time?) than to charge at home.

http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At last check, Blink DC FCs were crazy a $0.59/kWh in the SF Bay Area.

As for NRG eVgo, they're quite a rip too, unless you pay a $14.95/month.

So, for me, my CHAdeMO inlet has gone back to being near useless w/its last use by me in May 2014, if my records are right. Dealer might've DC FCed once for me after that, when I'd brought it for service.

Our company, http://www.QuickChargePower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, will be offering a Tesla AC charging adaptor (not for Supercharger, although it will physically plug in) for J1772 cars.

Available 3Q 2015.

mwalsh said:
... They can spend close to $100k on a car, but won't spend $5 to fill up at home, despite the added convenience of doing so.
Sure reinforces the sterotype doesn't it, the "wealthy" are the most "frugal".
Fits right in with the data that the poorer people are the more generous they are in donating money as a % of their income.
Sometimes stereotypes are right :cry: :shock: ;)

QueenBee said:
I'm not concerned about this and think it's great news...

The problem is, all CHAdeMO BEVs will now also suffer from Tesla's idiotic sales gimmick, "free" charging.

Chademo sites will effectively become the overflow DCs for Teslas, whenever the immediate local demand exceeds the charger supply.

So, for example, whenever ALL of the eight (or ten, or twelve or sixteen ...) Tesla DCs in Vacaville are in use (in some percentage, by local S owners too cheap to charge at home) S drivers on their way to Tahoe or Ashland will (grudgingly) pay the few bucks to go slumming, and suck DC from any and all local CHAdeMO DCs, at only ~50 kW, for whatever length of time required (and allowed) blocking those DCs from use by all the BEVs with the size batteries (in kWh) they were designed to charge.

edatoakrun said:
QueenBee said:
I'm not concerned about this and think it's great news...

The problem is, all CHAdeMO BEVs will now also suffer from Tesla's idiotic sales gimmick, "free" charging.

Chademo sites will effectively become the overflow DCs for Teslas, whenever the immediate local demand exceeds the charger supply.

So, for example, whenever ALL of the eight (or ten, or twelve or sixteen ...) Tesla DCs in Vacaville are in use (in some percentage, by local S owners too cheap to charge at home) S drivers on their way to Tahoe or Ashland will (grudgingly) pay the few bucks to go slumming, and suck DC from any and all local CHAdeMO DCs, at only ~50 kW, for whatever length of time required (and allowed) blocking those DCs from use by all the BEVs with the size batteries (in kWh) they were designed to charge.

That's good because then the market can respond by installing more units.

That is hilarious that people are supercharging in their own city. I've been considering buying a used Model S60 when my Leaf lease is up, but I would need a supercharger in Seattle to make my only long road trip a possibility. Now I know why they are not building it: it would just get clogged up. No point.

They should always have just charged the market rate for electricity. The supercharger would be free; the electricity not. That would solve all these problems. They already authenticate to make sure you have a SC enabled car.

pkulak said:
They should always have just charged the market rate for electricity. The supercharger would be free; the electricity not. That would solve all these problems.

Indeed. In fact, I read an analyst's report (which I dearly wish I could find again) which indicated what is currently being charged for free Supercharging (the nominal $500 fee) is in no way, shape, or form sustainable.

GeekEV said:
mwalsh said:
On the plus side, the Telsa adapter is rumored to not work on Blink QCs (yet).
Does anything work on the Blink units? :lol:

Our JdeMO works successfully with Blink, see below:

JasonA said:
You know what's interesting... is that yesterday I was at the Thousand Oaks Blink CHAdeMO station testing the Rav (equipped with JdeMO from Quick Charge Power) and up came a Tesla owner with a test adapter.

He was test testing because they could not get the Bling DCFC'ers to work with the Tesla unit but his biggest gripe is this... "there are soooo many Model S owners now and most of the SC stations are constantly being filled or long wait lines but there's no SC stations in the San Fernando valley and other key areas"

He said he's getting frustrated like other owners that there will not be enough SC stations to fill the amount of cars being sold.

P.S. The Model S didn't charge... The Rav did! :lol: good job guys!

ca41eb8a98282da36f02cfa2f264f7d0.jpg

QueenBee said:
That's good because then the market can respond by installing more units.
Yeah, I don't see the issue. In the short term it may lead to extra busy QCs, but if network operators have a sustainable business model busy areas will be the first area they will expand.

cwerdna said:
At last check, Blink DC FCs were crazy a $0.59/kWh in the SF Bay Area.
Compared to peak hour utility rates in California, it seems quite fair to me. 10 kWh good for around 40 miles cost about $6. Can't complain unless you need to use it very frequently, in which case sign up with eVgo whose plan is better suited for high volume use.

I'm surprised they're selling it for only $450. Thought it was going to be more like $1000.

Don't think it'll be a problem here, SCs are going up faster than CHAdeMOs lately, and even the free CHAdeMOs (most of the few we have) are under used. The fee based ones may benefit and that's good for all of us.

Do these things lock? Probably Tesla drivers won't stray far if they don't, and most will only stay for what they need anyway.

If I get a Model 3, SC access might be what, a $2k option? I would only opt for that if I really needed it. But a $450 option for QC access might make more sense.

If anything, this adapter may help drive CHAdeMO installs.

mwalsh said:
pkulak said:
... I read an analyst's report (which I dearly wish I could find again) which indicated what is currently being charged for free Supercharging (the nominal $500 fee) is in no way, shape, or form sustainable.

Where did they get $500 from? Last I looked, Supercharging was a $2,000 option at purchase on the 60 kWh Model S. To add it later was $2,500.

But then, if I did pay $2k for SC access for a Model 3, I'd be one of those locals at the SC 3 miles from me, and it would probably take me 3 years, at least, to recover that investment.

Wealthy...frugal....chademo....superchargers....bah... :)

Women....acceleration...Tesla...OMG...Yeah! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvwYLIOQiK8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back