CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Wealthy...frugal....chademo....superchargers....bah... :)

Women....acceleration...Tesla...OMG...Yeah! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvwYLIOQiK8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That video was pretty funny. What the P85D needs is a G meter; they used to be available decades ago on the used aircraft instrument market but I presume that there are fancier more compact ones nowadays...

Yes, looking around, you can even get a free app for an Android phone that will show acceleration:
Physics Toolbox Accelerometer
I put it on my phone and it seems to work fine.

Berlino said:
dgpcolorado said:
What the P85D needs is a G meter;
One of the most veteran and knowledgeable Tesla owners has such a meter. He upgraded to the P85D and posted graphs comparing acceleration on packed Colorado snow with all-season tires or Winter ones.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ow-Tire-Report?p=853842&viewfull=1#post853842
I also believe dragtimes posted G-readings from a P85D on a track.
Title: Tesla Model S P85D Insane vs Sport Mode 0-60 MPH Testing
http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/tesla-model-s-p85d-insane-vs-sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MpKkVai.png

cwerdna said:
At last check, Blink DC FCs were crazy a $0.59/kWh in the SF Bay Area.

That seems extremely reasonable to me for QC. In the Syracuse, NY area, Level 2 charging is $0.49/kWh!

In my opinion, this adapter is a good thing. It will increase demand, which should help the car charging companies get to profitability. We need that if we want any chargers to remain operational 5-10 years from now.

Regarding the Tesla Model III, noone ever said that Supercharging would be free for life on those cars. It was only said that they would have access to the network (presumably as an option). It was just the Model S that was "free for life" as far as I can remember.

GetOffYourGas said:
cwerdna said:
At last check, Blink DC FCs were crazy a $0.59/kWh in the SF Bay Area.

That seems extremely reasonable to me for QC. In the Syracuse, NY area, Level 2 charging is $0.49/kWh!

In my opinion, this adapter is a good thing. It will increase demand, which should help the car charging companies get to profitability. We need that if we want any chargers to remain operational 5-10 years from now.

Regarding the Tesla Model III, noone ever said that Supercharging would be free for life on those cars. It was only said that they would have access to the network (presumably as an option). It was just the Model S that was "free for life" as far as I can remember.

If they keep the pricing the same, that would be $2500 to add Supercharging. If they speculation on price is correct, that would mean a Model 3 with Supercharging would cost the same as a Bolt. I read an article indicating that the 3 would cost $2500 less than the Bolt, so adding that back in, you get them identically priced.

Sounds like the adapters are starting to trickle out. We were added to the wait list Oct 2013. Just received the email inviting us to place an order today.

Leland said:
Sounds like the adapters are starting to trickle out. We were added to the wait list Oct 2013. Just received the email inviting us to place an order today.

When you get yours, I hope you check it on a Blink station right away and let us know how it works.

Details on Tesla adapter/DC "fast charge activation" costs posted Here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16401-CHAdeMO-adapter-wait-frustration/page91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The good news for us (bad news for Tesla S owners?) is that it looks like they are being charged $1,900 for "fast charge activation" in addition to $450 for the adapter, before they can use public CHAdeMO charge sites.

So S owners apparently have no cost-effective choice to opt out of the Superchargers (and the $2,500 fee) and just use public CHAdeMO.

Since "free" Supercharger access costs only $600 more ($2,500) it's highly unlikely many S owners will pay $1900 + $450 and not pay the extra $600 for all those "free" (and faster) supercharger kWh.

So the only time you should expect a long wait behind a Tesla (or Teslas) for a public CHAdeMO is where there are no Tesla sites nearby (for me, Chico?) or during rush hour, when the Ss outnumber supercharger plugs.

edatoakrun said:
(p 17) ...Chademo sites will effectively become the overflow DCs for Teslas, whenever the immediate local demand exceeds the charger supply.

So, for example, whenever ALL of the eight (or ten, or twelve or sixteen ...) Tesla DCs in Vacaville are in use (in some percentage, by local S owners too cheap to charge at home) S drivers on their way to Tahoe or Ashland will (grudgingly) pay the few bucks to go slumming, and suck DC from any and all local CHAdeMO DCs, at only ~50 kW, for whatever length of time required (and allowed) blocking those DCs from use by all the BEVs with the size batteries (in kWh) they were designed to charge.

edatoakrun said:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16401-CHAdeMO-adapter-wait-frustration/page91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The good news for us (bad news for Tesla S owners?) is that it looks like they are being charged $1,900 for "fast charge activation" in addition to $450 for the adapter, before they can use public CHAdeMO charge sites.

This is not news to most. Back on post 7 PalmerMD first mentioned it in this thread.
The communications for DC charging is needed, and that means Supercharger capable.

The lowering of the Adapter was nice.
While I can see myself using the CHAdeMO chargers with my Leaf, I don't ever see using them with my Tesla.
You mentioned the situation where the local supercharger is full, the CHAdeMO could be a backup. I'd agree with that. I don't forsee many situations though where the 6-10 stall supercharger is full AND the 1-2 stall CHAdeMO is not.

More likely it will be used in areas without SuperChargers yet in place AND a Tesla owner is traveling through the area.

I've seen posts by someone on TMC that intends on charging his Tesla exclusively at a CHAdeMO station at a 7-11 in Queens, NY. He can't charge at home, so he is intending on charging every few days at 7-11. This particular CHAdeMO is free, but is limited to 25kW and 30 minute sessions, and there are signs saying that you'll be towed if you leave the property, so he would have to sit there in his car for hours, restarting the charge session every 30 minutes, just to get almost the same speed charging that other Teslas can get at home. Not to mention how many other CHAdeMO-capable cars he would be inconveniencing in the process.

Zythryn said:
edatoakrun said:

This is not news to most. Back on post 7 PalmerMD first mentioned it in this thread.
The communications for DC charging is needed, and that means Supercharger capable...
I hadn't heard about the $1900 charge until a few weeks ago, at the post I linked.

The actual cost still not posted at the Tesla site, BTW:

NOTE: A vehicle software update must be performed at the service center if Supercharging is not enabled.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there a legitimate reason why "A vehicle software update" allowing access to the DC charging capability should cost $1,900?

="Zythryn"...You mentioned the situation where the local supercharger is full, the CHAdeMO could be a backup. I'd agree with that. I don't forsee many situations though where the 6-10 stall supercharger is full AND the 1-2 stall CHAdeMO is not.
That will certainly be the case, now...

"Zythryn"...More likely it will be used in areas without SuperChargers yet in place AND a Tesla owner is traveling through the area.
Correct, which pretty much destroys the proposition that Teslas paying to use CHAdeMO sites will support expansion of public DC.

In the short-run, they make present limited public DC less reliable for all non-tesla BEVs, so drivers (like myself) will be less likely to drive longer distances, requiring public DC.

In the longer run, they present no real promise of revenue to support public DC infrastructure, since as soon as a ("free", non-public) Tesla DC charge site appears nearby, the only business any public DC station will get from Teslas, is the overflow during rush-hours, when they would probably have (non-Tesla) customers waiting, already.

And those regular paying customers will find their wait times will expand by however long the Teslas are using the Chargers.

Unless those regular paying customers' anxiety that the public site may be Teslaed when they get there, makes them drive an ICEV instead, depriving the public charge site owner of their best customers.

NYLEAF said:
I've seen posts by someone on TMC that intends on charging his Tesla exclusively at a CHAdeMO station at a 7-11 in Queens, NY. He can't charge at home, so he is intending on charging every few days at 7-11. This particular CHAdeMO is free, but is limited to 25kW and 30 minute sessions, and there are signs saying that you'll be towed if you leave the property, so he would have to sit there in his car for hours, restarting the charge session every 30 minutes, just to get almost the same speed charging that other Teslas can get at home. Not to mention how many other CHAdeMO-capable cars he would be inconveniencing in the process.

That seems very odd as there is a free 125kWh supercharger about 7 miles south of Queens, or 12 miles north.

edatoakrun said:
Zythryn said:
edatoakrun said:

The communications for DC charging is needed, and that means Supercharger capable...
I hadn't heard about the $1900 charge until a few weeks ago, at the post I linked.

The actual cost still not posted at the Tesla site, BTW:

NOTE: A vehicle software update must be performed at the service center if Supercharging is not enabled.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there a legitimate reason why "A vehicle software update" allowing access to the DC charging capability should cost $1,900?

="Zythryn"...You mentioned the situation where the local supercharger is full, the CHAdeMO could be a backup. I'd agree with that. I don't forsee many situations though where the 6-10 stall supercharger is full AND the 1-2 stall CHAdeMO is not.
That will certainly be the case, now...

"Zythryn"...More likely it will be used in areas without SuperChargers yet in place AND a Tesla owner is traveling through the area.
Correct, which pretty much destroys the proposition that Teslas paying to use CHAdeMO sites will support expansion of public DC.

In the short-run, they make present limited public DC less reliable for all non-tesla BEVs, so drivers (like myself) will be less likely to drive longer distances, requiring public DC.

In the longer run, they present no real promise of revenue to support public DC infrastructure, since as soon as a ("free", non-public) Tesla DC charge site appears nearby, the only business any public DC station will get from Teslas, is the overflow during rush-hours, when they would probably have (non-Tesla) customers waiting, already.

And those regular paying customers will find their wait times will expand by however long the Teslas are using the Chargers.

Unless those regular paying customers' anxiety that the public site may be Teslaed when they get there, makes them drive an ICEV instead, depriving the public charge site owner of their best customers.

I'm not sure where this $1900 number you are mentioning is coming from.
My Tesla is supercharger enabled and I can buy the adapter for $450.
If someone's Tesla is not SuperCharger enabled, they need to get that enabled.

As for what is involved with that, I have no idea.

I'm in a metro area with over a dozen CHAdeMO/Frankenplug DC chargers and no SuperChargers closer than 90 miles.
I have yet to hear of a single Tesla owner charging at the CHAdeMO chargers (and yes, I know at least one that has their adapter).
I don't see this crowding issue you speak of as anything more than wild speculation with no basis to support it.

I found the thread that I was referring to: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/30453-Charging-without-a-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, the poster lives in a part of Queens that is closer to Manhattan than JFK Airport, meaning that a weekly trip to JFK would be out of the question, but a trip to this particular 7-11 would be doable. I know I've seen the same person mention this plan in other threads on TMC as well, but last I looked, he hadn't actually ordered the car yet, so I never bothered making an account to respond and tell him what an awful idea it is.

Anyway, my point was that I rely on that particular CHAdeMO to get me from work to northern Westchester on occasion, and I'd be really disappointed to have to wait behind a Tesla for hours.

Zythryn said:

If the car is NOT enabled for DC charging, you have to pay $1900 for that, plus $450 for the hardware to plug into a CHAdeMO charger.

TonyWilliams said:
Zythryn said:

If the car is NOT enabled for DC charging, you have to pay $1900 for that, plus $450 for the hardware to plug into a CHAdeMO charger.

That I understand. I just wasn't sure that Ed was clear on that.
Most Tesla owners won't need to pay that.

Back