Chargepoint at LAX... the only way to fly.. almost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kat, I will try that. Hopefully there is an available L1 - right now, Chargepoint is indicating that all 4 (L1s and L2s) are in use. :eek:

1051 said:
I parked for the day on Thursday, about 8 LEAFS and 2 Volts, all charging spots were full. Glad I did not need to charge, even though I had decals they needed all of my information for the free parking.
How many were actually charging? Sounds like LAX should have 50 outlets in each lot 1 thru 6 for L1 charging, and save the L2 chargers for “short term” parking, say “3 hours max”.

KeiJidosha said:
1051 said:
I parked for the day on Thursday, about 8 LEAFS and 2 Volts, all charging spots were full. Glad I did not need to charge, even though I had decals they needed all of my information for the free parking.
How many were actually charging? Sounds like LAX should have 50 outlets in each lot 1 thru 6 for L1 charging, and save the L2 chargers for “short term” parking, say “3 hours max”.

3 were charging, they had a lot of the old chargers and 90% of the spots were empty. It would be nice if the would convert some of them

mwalsh said:
omkar said:
I'm planning to attempt tomorrow and my backup plan if I can't connect is to stop by a dealership on the way back.

Don't forget the other 120v outlets dotted around the parking structures (typically by the elevators. Or at least they were in Lot 6). You may have a shot at parking by one of those.

The only other 120V outlet I see are right in between the elevators, creating a trip hazard and are begging for others to unplug you. Or are there other outlet I don't know about? Please guide us, thanks.

To the red leaf that are parked there: I am sorry I had to unplug you but your station indicate that you are just waiting (I would definitely not unplug you if you were charging) ...I am assuming you had a charging timer on but forgot to turn it off. I needed a charge to get home so I will be done in the morning.

To fellow leafers...please turn off your charging timer and make sure your car is charging before you leave.

lettcco said:
The only other 120V outlet I see are right in between the elevators, creating a trip hazard and are begging for others to unplug you. Or are there other outlet I don't know about? Please guide us, thanks.

Hmmm....that must be lot 1? The outlets in Lot 6 were typically on the east side of the shaft for the most eastern of the two elevators. So no trip hazard at all. However, there were a fair number of them that were in areas not marked with car parking stalls.

Img_5723.jpg

Just picked up spouse at LAX. 2 volts were in the 2 J1771 spots. One was charging L1. I passed that J1772 over the low wall and plugged in our car on the other side. The other Volt in the J1772 space was not charging, not plugged in. That J1772 cable was serving a LEAF 2 spaces down. Fortunately, the cables are pretty long. No one was using a charge protocol in their windshield. I put our protocol placard up with "unplug anytime" clipped. I was just there for a pick up but wanted to try the whole procedure and get our LEAF then to recognize the station in the "find a station" database on the car. Same procedure on exit...driver's license presentation and then asked for our phone number. Manager has to be called over to do this :roll:

Kat

lettcco said:
To the red leaf that are parked there: I am sorry I had to unplug you but your station indicate that you are just waiting (I would definitely not unplug you if you were charging) ...I am assuming you had a charging timer on but forgot to turn it off. I needed a charge to get home so I will be done in the morning.

To fellow leafers...please turn off your charging timer and make sure your car is charging before you leave.
Mistake. That person may have been counting on a charge later that you just denied him.

davewill said:
Mistake. That person may have been counting on a charge later that you just denied him.

I think that's the mistake (not to mention completely selfish). No reason at all to defer charging if it's not on your dime. Or even if it is on your dime, but at a flat rate no matter what time.

I think the EV-Charging spaces should be used for vehicles actually needing a charge, rather than ones just wanting parking or a little free e-fuel top-up when they have plenty of gas. Using a limited-resource charging spot for 2 hours of charging and then 30-day parking ... just does not compute.

As a minimum, one charging station should be located to serve 4 to 8 parking spaces.

Also, one should be able to tell at a glance (while driving by) if the charging station is actually delivering power or not. If not, and there is an available parking spot in the 8-served spaces, one can pull in, disconnect the "finished/inactive" car, and begin immediate charging.

That would begin to work much better. Signage should say, "connected vehicles not drawing power will be disconnected - no delayed charging permitted", or some such.

I arrived at Lot 1 on Friday around 9:30am and both L1s and L2s were plugged in to various vehicles. One of the L2s had a message saying something like 'car not ready'. None of the cars were using the Courtesy Card. I was the seventh LEAF and there were a couple Volts, a Tesla, and some other EVs - very neat! I did not drive around looking for an available outlet as I felt a bit rushed (as I usually do when going on a flight). I ended up parking on the other side of the wall inside the garage. At that point I accepted that I would likely have to stop by a dealership on the way back. I drove very conservatively on the way there and figured I might be able to make it back without charging.

We returned from our trip today and as soon as we landed I opened up the ChargePoint Android app and saw that both L2s were available (and that the L1s were in use). After getting our bags, we headed over to the car and sure enough, the L2 on the other side of the wall was free. I plugged in it while my wife fed the baby. We considered having dinner at The Encounter but then decided to just try to make it home. We ended up charging on L2 for 27 minutes. We started back with 7 bars and when we pulled into the driveway we had 1 bar left (no ---'s yet). Total roundtrip was about 92 miles (we picked up food on the way back when we were very close to home).

Leaving LAX, the attendant asked for $120, I mentioned this is an electric car, she called over a manager, I had to provide driver's license, registration, and a phone number, and after a few minutes they let me through. Anyways, that's my little LAX report. We really need to get a lot more charging stations in there (20+ L1s and maybe 10+ L2s). I was really happy that I was able to take the LEAF there :mrgreen:

I also find that the chargepoint website will indicate J1772 is in use, when in fact it is only plugged in but not charging or finished charging. They need to change this so that more people can know if they can rely on it, not finding out when they get there.

omkar said:
Total roundtrip was about 92 miles (we picked up food on the way back when we were very close to home).

that's amazing...usually 1 full charge can only get 82 mile max if any freeway is involved. That half hour charge net you 10+ miles!

T1 parking area for EVs is very popular, I have watched it for about 20 years. Not in its current configuration though.
I have been involved in EV projects since 1989 when we were driving the "G" vans and the Impact.
Somehow I missed the boat and will not get my Leaf until August 4th.

Anyhow, I work at the airport and I had all the details worked out on how I would drive to the airport, charge my Leaf and return home, 88 miles round trip.
My plan is out the window now, I'm looking for another option, all the spaces around the chargers are taken on a daily basis.
I believe (not 100% sure here) the Volt and two of the Leafs are from LAX employees (could be airlines, concessions, TSA, CBP, City, etc.), I have seen them for months, same cars, same days.
No courtesy card or charging information. I was surprised because the Toyota RAV drivers had the sharing etiquette all worked out and we,the Leafers, are trying to figure this.

Parking structure 1 and 6 have a lot of paddle chargers, about 20, and DWP made the decision to convert only 2 of the old chargers to the new J1772. I contacted this person enidjoffe@cleanfuelconnection dot com (They operate the ChargePoint stations) to ask them to consider replacing more of the old chargers and he told me that it was a DWP decision, not theirs.
I asked for a contact person and I don't think I got an answer. Anyway, we need to contact somebody in DWP to expand the replacement program.
Anybody in DWP territory knows who is in charge of this program?

I just got back from LAX. There are 8 old style chargers with no one using them. There are 2 J1772 EVSE's and 7 cars. Just before I left, a 3rd Volt showed up.

This is terrible.

Does anyone have an LADWP contact so we can start complaining?

At the other end I saw an electric mini-Cooper.

BTW. This was the first time I noticed that LAX smelled terrible...like the smell of burning gasoline...just like New York City.

Yuck! Carpool stickers got me into buying the Leaf...but maybe there is something to this no emissions business. :mrgreen:

Vitor said:
Anyhow, I work at the airport and I had all the details worked out on how I would drive to the airport, charge my Leaf and return home, 88 miles round trip......... I believe (not 100% sure here) the Volt and two of the Leafs are from LAX employees

With due respect....I see that as the problem. As an airport employee, you shouldn't be parking there at all. You guys should have your own remote lot(s), with your own charging stations. The central lots should be for flying patrons of the airport. In event, I don't disagree that more stations are needed, but I do have a problem with the same cars hogging the stations every single day of the week.

Back