Charging Rate Real Time Info Display - 2015 LEAF SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

is there a direct reading of charge power being uploaded, like other brands have.... Don't need it just curious.

Was this added on later LEAF's. App? All LEAF's of my vintage no longer have Nissan Connect....

I do have LEAF SPY... I have not plugged it in over a year. I do know Leafspy SOC is different than dash.

is there a direct reading of charge power being uploaded, like other brands have.... Don't need it just curious.

Was this added on later LEAF's. App? All LEAF's of my vintage no longer have Nissan Connect....

I do have LEAF SPY... I have not plugged it in over a year. I do know Leafspy SOC is different than dash.

LeafSpy Pro's SoC and SoH both accurately and precisely match the 'dash' (combination meter) readouts in each of my Leafs; one an AZE0 and one a ZE1.

LeafSpy Pro can also report charge current and power (Amps and Watts), as well as drain from various system components.

The information is also broadcast on the CAN bus for the taking if you want it, but personally I track mine using an old kilowatt hour meter in series with the EVSE :)

PS, the ZE1 also shows a not terribly precise (nearest KW) charging power reading on one of the combination meter screens based on what type of charger you're attached to (eg 1, 2, 3, 6, 20-40Kw).

Relevant CAN information:

Name: OBC Out Pwr (W)
Type: Integer
Description: Charging power coming into the Leaf from the on-board charger, when the car is charging.
Example query: 0x797 03 22 12 36 00 00 00 00
Example answer: 0x79A 05 62 12 36 00 15 00 00
Formula: OBC Out Pwr = (( data[4] << 8 ) | data[5])*100;

So take byte 4 (5th byte) of the answer, '00 hex', left-shift it by 8 bits (still equals 0), then OR that with byte 5 (6th byte), 15 hex, and you get (ta-da!) 15 hex. Which is 21 decimal. Multply that by 100 and you get 2100, which is the charging rate in watts (ie 2100w, or 2.1Kw).

I read this sort of thing from my Leafs via their OBD port using SavvyCAN and one of these USB adapters (before I build something more permanent using an ESP32). I find it to be very good reliable interface that always works and doesn't drop any packets. I have no affiliation with the manufacturers; I'm just a happy customer.

Korlan USB2CAN OBD2

Back