Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Some more specs from:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101775_2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-specs-released-battery-pack-motor-power-and-more

Haven't found the drag coefficient yet. But 60 kWh, 150 kW motor, 200 hp, and 266 lb-ft, starting at the price of a 2016 LEAF SL sounds pretty good.
That 60kWh battery pack weighing only 960 lb., if accurate, is a heck of a lot better than Tesla managed with the S60, which was somewhere in the 1,200-1,300 lb. range IIRR. Either LG Chem has leapfrogged Tesla on specific energy, which seems unlikely, or else they've been able to save weight elsewhere.

EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:
The assumptions are that Tesla will provide free SC to Model E/3, that it will really be sub $40K,......!

My guess is that they will at least offer it as an option, I find it hard to imagine that they would not offer it at all. The Bolt is a possible dream come true for Tesla. It has the potential to push some buyers up a category and also to show the possible or perceived value of the Tesla even if it is $10K more.

Elon has said the 3 will have SC access. Probably an option, but hopefully also by subscription or pay per use. Definitely a leg up for them and it looks like QC will be an upgrade on the Bolt.

I not only got to see a production vehicle in person, I also finagled a drive in one of the preproduction press vehicles on their closed course.
I really can't directly compare the external size of it to the Leaf - the specs here will allow that easily - but I can comment on how the interior felt and it felt spacious with a largish backseat and a good amount of storage space behind that. It definitely felt more spacious from the back seat aft than the new 2.0 Volt...

Valdemar said:
Did you see the car in person? How does it compare to the Leaf in dimensions? It feels it is somewhere in between the Spark and the Leaf.

I was told that SAE QC will be standard on the Bolt... I'm willing to bet that SC on the Tesla 3 will be a 5 grand option... I seriously doubt it will be standard.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Elon has said the 3 will have SC access. Probably an option, but hopefully also by subscription or pay per use. Definitely a leg up for them and it looks like QC will be an upgrade on the Bolt.

TomT said:
I was told that SAE QC will be standard on the Bolt... I'm willing to bet that SC on the Tesla 3 will be a 5 grand option... I seriously doubt it will be standard.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

I wish it were so, but so far I'm not seeing that:

http://electrek.co/2016/01/11/gm-bolt-ev-battery-pack-fast-charging-full-specs/

WetEV said:
TonyWilliams said:
There are 9 locations that have 4 or more chargers per location? Wow!

Misread on my part. I was under the impression you were discussing the lack of CCS. GRA is probably more correct, at two locations.
OT, but via ievs:
Fred Meyer Stores in Oregon Deploy 24kW DC CCS Fast Chargers
http://insideevs.com/fred-meyer-stores-in-oregon-deploy-24kw-dc-ccs-fast-chargers/

$0.15/kWh, and not certain but it appears one per site.
. . . The worker also indicated that this project has the corporate backing of the CEO, and that nearly all Fred Meyer stores in Oregon will eventually have chargers installed, though some locations in cities with multiple stores will be among the last to have chargers installed. . . .
Fred Meyer stores are on U.S. 101, 97 and I-5, so that would cover the three major N-S routes.

I just read "According to Motor Trend, the battery charges in 9 hours at 240 V 32 A". The on board charge is 7.2kW as compared to 6.6kW of Leaf.

Still 9 hours is a little too long on a L2 charger. Agreed that most people won't use the available 200 mile range on a daily basis and would just need to "top it off" but I think it would've been nice to have a higher capacity charger.

dm33 said:
Any used on distribution? Will is be California only? CARB states only? When is the nationwide rollout likely to happen (if ever)?

Whatever words that come out of their pie-holes on this issue, like Mercedes and others, it will absolutely be offered in ZEV compliance locations first. Plus, how many do you think they would sell in Nebraska or North Dakota?

inphoenix said:
I just read "According to Motor Trend, the battery charges in 9 hours at 240 V 32 A". The on board charge is 7.2kW as compared to 6.6kW of Leaf.

Still 9 hours is a little too long on a L2 charger. Agreed that most people won't use the available 200 mile range on a daily basis and would just need to "top it off" but I think it would've been nice to have a higher capacity charger.

Most public L2 EVSE's won't give you much more than that so to include it on the base model isn't really needed. A double charger option like Tesla has would be nice, I also think Nissan should have done that on the leaf.

They could also make it a dealer add on only which would satisfy their dealers who complain there's little money to be made in service on BEV's.

An even better option would be on getting the price of a home CCS quick charge of 15-20kW down to $3-4k (a few years ago I heard the 20kW unit being offered to BMW dealers was $6k). The big advantage is it would work on your next car I or multiple cars.

If it does ultimately turn out to be optional, many people will not need it so it does make some sense and I have no problem with that.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I wish it were so, but so far I'm not seeing that:
http://electrek.co/2016/01/11/gm-bolt-ev-battery-pack-fast-charging-full-specs/

I'd opt for anyway, even though 200 would do fine for most of my trips. It would be great to travel RT without having to charge anywhere. But with dual
QCs going in now, I'd want that option. What's the upper limit on the CCS units? 100 kW? If Chevy puts some 100 kW units out there, and with pack thermal management, this could be my next car. It's sure to be there in 8/17 when my lease is up, and the competition may not be.

Here's a GM source for CCS being an option: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silveradohd/2013.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/Jan/naias/chevy/0111-bolt-du.html

inphoenix said:

I've stated before that counter intuitively the larger your battery the LOWER the charge rate can be for most folks.

Anything under about a 50 kW charge rate is useless for any road trip, as you end up spending more than a third of your time sitting at a charger.

A high rate L2 lets you nickel and dime past the 80-100 mile limit of a small pack within a day, but is of much less value if your car had another 100 miles of reserve.

Only those trying to go beyond 200 miles a day, but who have no QC access will be affected by a 7 kW L2 limitation. That is a vanishingly small number of people.

In the not too distant future I see L2 useful only at home, work, and interstate hotels. Small packs are going to disappear soon, and I say good riddens.

Valdemar said:
Any indication there will be an option to charge the car to less than 100%, a.k.a. "long life" mode?

I think the EPA put an end to that every happening with the avg they required between the different charge options. Mercedes did it on the B ED but they don't push that that much so the marketing value of the EPA range isn't as important to them.

minispeed said:
Valdemar said:
Any indication there will be an option to charge the car to less than 100%, a.k.a. "long life" mode?
I think the EPA put an end to that every happening with the avg they required between the different charge options. Mercedes did it on the B ED but they don't push that that much so the marketing value of the EPA range isn't as important to them.
Tesla has always had the ability to set charge %, with no issues from the EPA. It seems like this was only for those cars which only offered 80 and 100%, and which specifically recommended 80% as a long-life mode. Tesla offers a variety of ending charge %.

+1

Moof said:
I've stated before that counter intuitively the larger your battery the LOWER the charge rate can be for most folks.
In the not too distant future I see L2 useful only at home, work, and interstate hotels. Small packs are going to disappear soon, and I say good riddens.

Back