Chevy Spark EV vs Nissan Leaf need purchase advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

need help guys. If you could choose between a 2012 leaf SL,QC,30k miles for 13,500 or a 2014 chevy spark ev, 1800 miles, no QC, for 16,200, which one would you choose.

In your climate, the Spark is going to be the better buy. It has a liquid TMS so the Spark's battery will last far longer in the brutal Las Vegas heat than that of a Leaf, especially a pre-2013 model. Plus the Spark goes a bit further per charge than a brand new Leaf.

Also, there's only one CHAdeMO station in the entire Vegas region (in Henderson), so the ability to QC would not be a factor if I were living where you are.

One major downside to the Spark is interior room...it only seats 4. But if you can live with that, the Spark is going work out better for you.

Concur with Ron. The 2012 Leaf battery has a heat degradation issue. Only buy it, if the battery has been replaced or has already lost 4 bars and you can get the battery replaced under warranty.

DanCar said:
Concur with Ron. The 2012 Leaf battery has a heat degradation issue. Only buy it, if the battery has been replaced or has already lost 4 bars and you can get the battery replaced under warranty.
that was the thing i was going ask. if i buy in vegs i would want the battery to degrade so i can keep getting a new one. what happens ater the new one is in. do i get a new 5 year 60000 battery

Can you get a Chevy Spark serviced in Las Vegas or do you have to take it to one of the limited number of California Chevy dealers that handle that model? Perhaps dealers that service the Volt will also be able to service the Spark but maybe not. Something to consider.

evboy said:
that was the thing i was going ask. if i buy in vegs i would want the battery to degrade so i can keep getting a new one. what happens ater the new one is in. do i get a new 5 year 60000 battery
No, it is just warranteed for whatever's left of the original 5yr, 60k. In your climate, it's not impossible that a person could get two battery replacements in that period, but you definitely won't be put on a perpetual free battery gravy train. I test drove the Spark and really liked it. It's a very different car than the LEAF, but if it suits your needs I think you'll probably be happy with it.

Unfortunately, we don't know how the new LEAF "lizard" battery is going to perform in real life, so it's hard to recommend the LEAF in your climate right now.

davewill said:
Unfortunately, we don't know how the new LEAF "lizard" battery is going to perform in real life, so it's hard to recommend the LEAF in your climate right now.
If he needs the bigger size of the leaf, then it maybe worth the risk. Has anyone reported a loss of a bar with the new lizard battery?

DanCar said:
davewill said:
If he needs the bigger size of the leaf, then it maybe worth the risk. Has anyone reported a loss of a bar with the new lizard battery?
I dont need a bigger car at all. hell, Im on the list for a Elio. The spark will do just fine in size. it looks like if i buy a used 2012 leaf i would be pretty sure i would get a new battery one time, but what happens after. the prices for the leaf are reasonable. if i can talk the salesman down to below 16kon the spark that would be good. the spark seems like it would be more fun to drive since it does 0 to 60 in 7.xx seconds.

I owned or currently own Leaf, Spark, Kia Soul EV.

Lease, don't buy! Either one mentioned above is fine. Also, check out Kia Soul EV if you need solid 93+ freeway miles. Little more expensive but it's a real car compared to the others. You could lease the non-Plus model (no leather, etc.) for around mid 200s at 12,000 miles per year, or more for 15,000 miles per year.

All leases are bumper to bumper. You collect Ca $2,500 rebate that offsets the downpayment. Do your best not to buy or you'll be stuck with a, technologically speaking, dud 3 years from now that no one will buy off you.

ILETRIC said:
You collect Ca $2,500 rebate that offsets the downpayment. Do your best not to buy or you'll be stuck with a, technologically speaking, dud 3 years from now that no one will buy off you.

He's in Vegas, so he won't be able to collect that rebate.

ILETRIC said:
I owned or currently own Leaf, Spark, Kia Soul EV.

Lease, don't buy! Either one mentioned above is fine. Also, check out Kia Soul EV if you need solid 93+ freeway miles. Little more expensive but it's a real car compared to the others. You could lease the non-Plus model (no leather, etc.) for around mid 200s at 12,000 miles per year, or more for 15,000 miles per year.

All leases are bumper to bumper. You collect CA $2,500 rebate that offsets the downpayment. Do your best not to buy or you'll be stuck with a, technologically speaking, dud 3 years from now that no one will buy off you.
im buying used. 16k is for a used spark with 1800 miles. the cool thing is since you get 10k off in cali in rebates, the dealers cant sell a used one for more than what you could buy new after the rebates. 17500 is what it cost for a new spark after rebates. 1500 less than what you can buy new is a decent deal since i couldnt get the extra 2500 off anyway being in vegas or even be able to buy new here. i also save on sales tax on 27500 new. as far as being a dud. I will drive it into the ground and it could become a collectors item in the future, since there is only one model year with 400lbs of torque. how many 2014 models were sold. I had a 240sx fastback in the early 90's and stupidly sold it. if i still had that car, i could still get 5k for it in good shape. boy, do i miss that car and regret selling it.

evboy said:
DanCar said:

Even if you are lucky enough to be able to take advantage of that warranty, there is NO guarantee that Nissan will give you a brand new battery pack, though so far they have been doing so. In theory, they could legally replace your 8 bar pack with a 9 bar one.

Plus as mentioned already, the 5 year/60k warranty starts from the car's in-service date. So any warranties on that particular Leaf already have 2 (possibly 3) years and 30k miles elapsed on it.

That assumes of course you don't get one of the dreaded "B0133" branded cars, in which case there will no capacity warranty.

RonDawg said:
evboy said:
DanCar said:

Even if you are lucky enough to be able to take advantage of that warranty, there is NO guarantee that Nissan will give you a brand new battery pack, though so far they have been doing so. In theory, they could legally replace your 8 bar pack with a 9 bar one.

Plus as mentioned already, the 5 year/60k warranty starts from the car's in-service date. So any warranties on that particular Leaf already have 2 (possibly 3) years and 30k miles elapsed on it.

That assumes of course you don't get one of the dreaded "B0133" branded cars, in which case there will no capacity warranty.
how do i verify if its the b0133 and be 100% sure of it.

evboy said:
RonDawg said:
how do i verify if its the b0133 and be 100% sure of it.

You have to contact a Nissan dealer who will check the VIN for you. I'm not sure if they'll do it over the phone, if not you'll need to bring the car in.

evboy said:
need help guys. If you could choose between a 2012 leaf SL,QC,30k miles for 13,500 or a 2014 chevy spark ev, 1800 miles, no QC, for 16,200, which one would you choose.

sorry have to present the other side in that in your climate you will almost certainly qualify for a MUCH better replacement battery not to mention an extra 3 grand in your pocket

RonDawg said:
evboy said:
DanCar said:

there is no guarantee of what battery you will receive but keep in mind that Nissan does not have a stockpile of slightly used batteries lying around to use for warranty exchanges... in fact they don't have any and if they did, where did they come from?

DaveinOlyWA said:
RonDawg said:

there is no guarantee of what battery you will receive but keep in mind that Nissan does not have a stockpile of slightly used batteries lying around to use for warranty exchanges... in fact they don't have any and if they did, where did they come from?

I felt that it was important to point out that distinction because (as originally worded) Nissan was NOT obligated to give a new battery, and they could have started installing used ones at any time. The OP was under the impression he'd only get a new one, and with warranty repairs that is usually the case. But (again as originally worded) this is a notable exception to the rule.

However as pointed out already, under the proposed new settlement terms that was just announced in another thread, Nissan will only be installing new packs with the improved chemistry.

That said, I still think the OP should go for the Spark instead, as long as 5 passenger seating is not a requirement.

RonDawg said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
RonDawg said:

I felt that it was important to point out that distinction because (as originally worded) Nissan was NOT obligated to give a new battery, and they could have started installing used ones at any time. The OP was under the impression he'd only get a new one, and with warranty repairs that is usually the case. But (again as originally worded) this is a notable exception to the rule.

However as pointed out already, under the proposed new settlement terms that was just announced in another thread, Nissan will only be installing new packs with the improved chemistry.

That said, I still think the OP should go for the Spark instead, as long as 5 passenger seating is not a requirement.

whatever...

The fact that he mentions the Spark has no fast charger (as if he had a fast charger near by to use) probably indicates where he is leaning. Fast charging truly is a great tool and really makes the LEAF much more usable. Its one thing to be lucky enough to have L2 at your destination but that really limits the options (for me at least) But having an L3 on the route is much more common and a lot of people take exception to stopping for 30 mins or whatever it takes to get the charge but there are trade offs to every decision so mitigate it. EV Bias is not really that hard to do.

Charge for 15 minutes if 30 is too long. Its a much more efficient use of your time anyway and now you are barely longer than a pitstop.

Back