Climate Control / Deforst issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarterfish

Is anyone else out there having problems with defrosting in wet weather? Mine is absolutely terrible at times. Also, my heater takes about 2 minutes to even warm up... BRRRRR! :-(

We leave the outside air intake open, and turn the defrost on and off as needed to clear fog. Seems to work, but the air will feel cold! We also warm up the car with the climate control timer in the morning, driver's side heated seat on, while plugged in to the EVSE. That takes care of the trip to work, but coming back, yes, it can get chilly. You can preheat while disconnected from a EVSE, but then you loose range on a cold day. I still think the Leaf should have a propane or alcohol heater for days like this :)

In humid/rainy/snowy conditions or if you carry passengers, it's a good idea to run with the AC on (or "automatic") as much as possible. This removes humidity from the cabin on an ongoing basis. Being miserly with the AC allows moisture to build up not only in the air but in the fabrics and trying to remove it all at once in sporadic bursts is less effective and takes longer.

Of course, range is a consideration but if you're already running heat anyway, the added AC doesn't consume too much additional power in these conditions.

Yep, the heater is not instantaneous; it's got to heat up fluid first, which is then circulated. The 2013 heat pump unit should be better in this regard.

This is not a problem for all you SOCAL leafers, but since its warmed up to 18F out there today, expecting 2F tonight,
The thing I can't get to clear/ de-frost / de-snow / de-ice ... are the headlights.

(Yes, PLUGZIN is an outdoor car)

I'm not about to get a scraper anywhere hear them.

My HID high beams heat up eventually, but at 6F that heat wicks away fast.

Thinking of fashioning little covers for them, (magnetic?) but they can't be made of something porous that will ice to the lens.

I'll probably think about it until spring.

It's common for the car to absorb moisture in the upholstery. it will help a lot to dry the car out with several long pre warming sessions where you open up all the doors and let the warm humid air out periodically. I do this until I no longer see condensation inside the car. Once you get the car dried out, do a good solid prewarm every day while plugged in to shore power before heading out, this will help manage moisture accumulation.

Also, put the mode to foot defog mode so that when you turn the CC off when not needed it will still put some fresh air across the windshield. Using the power defrost will dry the air but the entire CC system of the Leaf is an energy hog so a lot of folks avoid using it... and end up with a madening fogging problem if you don't dry the car out periodically.

KillaWhat said:
This is not a problem for all you SOCAL leafers, but since its warmed up to 18F out there today, expecting 2F tonight,
The thing I can't get to clear/ de-frost / de-snow / de-ice ... are the headlights.

(Yes, PLUGZIN is an outdoor car)

I'm not about to get a scraper anywhere hear them.

My HID high beams heat up eventually, but at 6F that heat wicks away fast.

Thinking of fashioning little covers for them, (magnetic?) but they can't be made of something porous that will ice to the lens.

I'll probably think about it until spring.
How about a hair dryer on an extension cord? I garage my car so I don't have to worry about iced headlights, but I agree with you that I'm not going to touch them with my ice scraper!

You could also buy the modified climate controller from Phil at evseupgrade.com. It allows you to turn on the fan to just circulate air. It allows air circulation without the heater coming on.
It works great.

"How about a hair dryer on an extension cord? I garage my car so I don't have to worry about iced headlights, but I agree with you that I'm not going to touch them with my ice scraper!"

Ok,NOW you're talking!! Use a power inverter in the DC outlet to run the "Hairdryer" while driving!! :D ...Or is that considered "distracted driving" ?!?

Sarterfish said:
"How about a hair dryer on an extension cord? I garage my car so I don't have to worry about iced headlights, but I agree with you that I'm not going to touch them with my ice scraper!"

Ok,NOW you're talking!! Use a power inverter in the DC outlet to run the "Hairdryer" while driving!! :D ...Or is that considered "distracted driving" ?!?
Hah! Iced headlights aren't usually a problem when driving in snow but they can be when parked outside in snow, if the car starts out warm, or in freezing rain. The aero design seems to keep them fairly clean while driving, not that I have experience with stop and go driving in sleet where I live (no traffic = no stop and go driving), so that might be a problem I haven't encountered.

I'm on the other side of PA from Killa-Watt and we've had the cold lately too. What I've noticed is that because the car never heats up the snow just lays on it. No melting and refreezing. My Leaf is a yard dog too. Much easier than scraping ice from an ICE.

downeykp said:
You could also buy the modified climate controller from Phil at evseupgrade.com. It allows you to turn on the fan to just circulate air. It allows air circulation without the heater coming on.
It works great.

THAT is an EXCELLENT idea! While I'm ordering I'll get the 220V on-board charge chord adapter too! :)

Back