Charging and Climate Control Timers 2015 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is a pretty frequently asked question, but I can't quite figure out the answer. Let's pick a time:

8:00 a.m.

and I want to have both charging and climate... and not to push the battery above 80%.

1) Assuming ideal 24KWh battery and ideal Level 2 (6 KW charger on board), how would I set the timers?

2) Now, it is an 80% SoH battery, so fills up faster. Also, the EVSE is delivering only 15A at 240V since I cheaped out and also didn't want to overload my dryer circuit. How do these differences affect the time calculations?

The best I can figure is to set the Charging End Time to AFTER my scheduled departure, and the Climate Timer to the time of departure. Will this, and not plugging in to the car when I get home unless I am below 60%, do the trick of having about 80% charge AND conditioning the car?

Example, say I get 20% / hr from my charger set up this way. Do I start by setting the charge timer to 1 hr after my planned departure and then tweak from there?

This is my "break" from trying to figure out Tesla adapter compatibility... 😁

Minimal. I am mostly trying to figure this out. Worst case is 35 miles total. I can deal with plugging in every alternate day.

Also, I won't have extreme heat in the morning here in Williamsburg, over the next several months, but I would like to try to warm the cabin in the winter months.

I have a 2015 SV with a 24kWh battery. It is always parked in a heated 16 C (60 F) garage at night. I have a FLO class two charger mounted on the wall in my garage (240 Volt 40 Amp breaker) controllable via my FLO app on my phone. My commute is 25 km one way every weekday. I leave at 7:15 AM every weekday. I live in Victoria, BC so there are a few mornings in winter that are cool (in the 30's F). My schedule set in the car control system for charging and heating is as follows: charging comes on at 2:00 AM for 90 minutes. It shuts off at 3:30AM. Then I have the cabin temperature set to 21 C or 70 F with a departure time of 7:15 AM. The climate control figures out what time it needs to come on the meet that temperature at my departure time based on the ambient temperature that night. You cannot run both cabin heat and charging at the same time. There is a setting in the car software to determine which has priority.
I try to keep the charge levels between 40 and 80%. My 60 km a day and 90 minute overnight charging a day keeps the charging levels in my desired range, and the cabin is always warm when I get in. I do not have to waste kWh heating the cabin up once I leave the house. I set the charge timer system in the car for 2.5 hours charge on Friday nights because I never know what my bride of 44 years has planned for us on a Saturday so a full 165 km range is what is needed on a Saturday morning. I hope this sheds some light on charging heating schedules.

Attachments

• 1000002380.jpg
    1000002380.jpg
    2.1 MB
Great info! But one thing that makes the base trim more complicated is that we can only set the end times of the charging and climate kickoffs. I also don't know if there is an adjustment in the charging timer to compensate for the difference in charging time with a degraded battery, when it calculates the start time for charging.

Reminder: 2015 Leaf S, so no start timer settings, just end timer settings.

So. I set the Charging Timer to 9:00, the Climate Timer to 8, I think. I've been having a hard time navigating the Climate Timer. The car was connected but no charging current was being drawn.

Checked the car at 6:30 (7+ hours later), and the charge was proceeding. It was already at 84%! I had guessed between an hour and 2 hours would be left in the charge when it hit 80%, guess I need to leave more room. Does this mean the timer kickoff takes into account the diminishing charge rate as 100% is neared? The climate hadn't kicked off of course, as it starts a max of 30 minutes earlier than the end time.

I canceled the charge (by turning off the charge timer momentarily). leaving the car plugged in. I set the climate timer to 35 minutes in the future. Checked back 20 minutes later and the fan was running! Temperature was below HVAC set point, but the AC light was on. The plug was supplying 0.4A at 246V, or about 98W, When the climate timer ran out, the fans shut off and the plug supply dropped to 0.0A.

This all seems kind of consistent to me, but the big puzzle remains "how do I get the battery to be around 80% when I am ready to unplug and depart?" The climate timer is going to have to end before the charge timer does, but does that really work without manual intervention?

I have a 2015 SV with a 24kWh battery. It is always parked in a heated 16 C (60 F) garage at night. I have a FLO class two charger mounted on the wall in my garage (240 Volt 40 Amp breaker) controllable via my FLO app on my phone. My commute is 25 km one way every weekday. I leave at 7:15 AM every weekday. I live in Victoria, BC so there are a few mornings in winter that are cool (in the 30's F). My schedule set in the car control system for charging and heating is as follows: charging comes on at 2:00 AM for 90 minutes. It shuts off at 3:30AM. Then I have the cabin temperature set to 21 C or 70 F with a departure time of 7:15 AM. The climate control figures out what time it needs to come on the meet that temperature at my departure time based on the ambient temperature that night. You cannot run both cabin heat and charging at the same time. There is a setting in the car software to determine which has priority.
I try to keep the charge levels between 40 and 80%. My 60 km a day and 90 minute overnight charging a day keeps the charging levels in my desired range, and the cabin is always warm when I get in. I do not have to waste kWh heating the cabin up once I leave the house. I set the charge timer system in the car for 2.5 hours charge on Friday nights because I never know what my bride of 44 years has planned for us on a Saturday so a full 165 km range is what is needed on a Saturday morning. I hope this sheds some light on charging heating schedules.
I try to do a similar thing with may 2015 tekna. But when the heating comes on, the car also starts charging again, and charges above the 80% maximum that I set in the charge timer. It's not a huge problem, but I would prefer to feel that I have control of the maximum charge level.

Back