Confidence building trip to San Francisco!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

Leafpals:

I have had my 2013 SV with QC for about 2 weeks now. I just love the thing. The more I drive it the more I appreciate some very smart things that were done. So, it has been really fun.

Today my wife and I drove from our home in Sonoma County to San Francisco just for the fun of it, and to get a sense of the range and experience. The trip from my home to the Civic Center garage was about 56 miles, mostly highway, but some mixed. It went very well. I drove in D in my usual mellow fashion, and used cruise control at about 63 mph in stretches. Cruise seems to really even things out. It was a hot day, so I used the climate control. The cabin was very comfortable, and the range was minimally affected. I arrived at the garage with probably 30 miles range left. Easy. I found the free L2 charger, and began charging while we were at the museum. I have to say, the 6.6 kW charger is very nice. You get many miles of range back in an hour.

We then went to the Sutter Stockton garage at Union Square and once again found the free L2 charger and plugged in. We shopped at Union Square and had a nice dinner. The Leaf emailed me to let me know that 100% charge had been reached. Gotta like the speed of the 6.6 kW onboard. We drove home in comfort with a stiff headwind, but once again keeping speeds reasonable we arrived home with plenty to spare and about 30 miles of range left per GOM.

This was a good confidence builder for my wife, although it might have been good if we had hit the low battery warning so she could see that all was well. Anyway, really nice to see that this car is so capable, even for a trip like that. All told we drove 116 electric miles today.

Congrats on your Trip and New Leaf!

I wish in NJ/NYC there were free chargers! All pay out here (except for Nissan Dealerships) most are around $2.50/Hour

Lasareath said:
Congrats on your Trip and New Leaf!

I wish in NJ/NYC there were free chargers! All pay out here (except for Nissan Dealerships) most are around $2.50/Hour

I figure eventually these will not be free either. I would not mind that really. Paying for the power even at that rate is still pretty cheap compared with gasoline. No, I am glad that we seemingly have enough charging infrastructure around here to allow a trip like the one I took. Really cool.

Lasareath said:
I expect that is what dndrich was paying for his "free" charging at the Civic Center, and he was probably paying $3/hour at Union Square. The charging may be free, but parking in San Francisco is quite expensive.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Lasareath said:
I expect that is what dndrich was paying for his "free" charging at the Civic Center, and he was probably paying $3/hour at Union Square. The charging may be free, but parking in San Francisco is quite expensive.

Ray

You have to pay parking anyway.

There is another garage two blocks from Union Square on Mission with lower rate, also with free charger.

All city-owned garages have free city charger until end of 2013, and maybe beyond (major decides the policy).

thanks for the trip report, dndrich! It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming an EV ambassador!
dndrich said:
Gotta like the speed of the 6.6 kW onboard.
Yes, that sounds like a great feature when you are away from home!
dndrich said:
This was a good confidence builder for my wife, although it might have been good if we had hit the low battery warning so she could see that all was well.
I think it is best to stay away from LBW if you can as each trip to a low state-of-charge reduces the capacity of the battery a bit. I think the way you did this trip was almost optimal for battery health. Charging to 100% sometimes is fine, as long as you don't leave it there. We try to keep our LEAF around 50% charge when it is just sitting.

johnqh said:
planet4ever said:
Lasareath said:

Ray

You have to pay parking anyway.

There is another garage two blocks from Union Square on Mission with lower rate, also with free charger.

All city-owned garages have free city charger until end of 2013, and maybe beyond (major decides the policy).

Sutter Stockton has the lowest rates not 5th and Mission which also has most spots that are taken by ICE cars.

planet4ever said:
Lasareath said:

Ray

Right. Charging was free at Sutter Stockton and at the Civic center garage. I did not park at the Union Square underground garage. Parking rates were definitely not free at either place! But I am used to that when I travel there. Pretty cool that the charging was free.

I got the SV with QC and LED. Now that I have had the car 2 weeks, I am happy with that decision. I have not used the QC yet, but I can see situations where I would. There are two QC locations in Petaluma, which are a good intermediate location from my home. So, I can imagine that I have a situation where I am unable to fully charge while in San Francisco, and on the way home I need a little extra. 10 minutes at a QC will get me home. I am impressed nonetheless at the speed of the 6.6 kW charger. I get another 25 miles or so of range in an hour. That is really useful. I know understand why.

EVDRIVER said:
Sutter Stockton has the lowest rates not 5th and Mission which also has most spots that are taken by ICE cars.

Thanks. Didn't know that because we are used to the Mission and Union Square ones. However, yelp reviews show a lot of car break-in's.

Around Civic Center, the Performing Arts garage is the cheapest. $1/hour during the day.

Back