Cool Nissan!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I just had to share this. I was dropping my daughter off at school this morning. It was about 10 minutes earlier than usual because she had choir practice this morning. So most of the cars and kids we saw were different than usual. I had my windows down since the weather was really nice this morning. As my daughter was getting out, this little boy walked up to my car. He looked about 8 or 9 years old. He stopped and looked over the car and said "Cool Nissan!" I could see by the look of his face that he was just in awe of the car. I smiled at him and said "thanks!"

Now, I have no idea if this little boy knew it was an electric car or not. but it does remind me of when I took my Leaf to the father's day carshow at a big church last year. There were at least two different young kids, I think one was a girl and the other was a boy, who were not quite at driving age yet. I heard each one tell their parents something to the effect of "This is the coolest car I've ever seen. When I get my drivers license, I want one of these!" And in both cases it turned out that they did not even realize it was an EV.

So I have to give kudos to Nissan. They designed a car with a body style that I believe is ahead of its time. There was a lot of resistance and a lot of reviewers who said that the Leaf was (or is) ugly, or "too futuristic to appeal to modern families" or other crap. I admit being turned off by the styling when I first saw it myself, but it has grown on me. Nissan took a big risk, and I think it will pay off.

lol - I hope so. I'm ok with the looks, but don't particularly like it. My wife calls it a "bubble-frog" lol :) We both love it and fight over who gets to drive it, but not because we like what it looks like :) Hopefully upcoming generations can get past my prejudices :)

lol yeah that's why my car is nicknamed "coqui", the headlights resemble the eyes of a small frog :lol:
defiancecp said:
lol - I hope so. I'm ok with the looks, but don't particularly like it. My wife calls it a "bubble-frog" lol :) We both love it and fight over who gets to drive it, but not because we like what it looks like :) Hopefully upcoming generations can get past my prejudices :)

Funny though for me, the really inquisitive questions and most looks I get are from kids, usually around the 8-12 range. When a family steps up to ask questions its always the kid leading the charge and knows more than their parents. Its quite uncanny. I think, whatever advertising Nissan has done to the young crowd has worked well. Honestly, it may haven been nissan's target all along to convert the influential kids so when they get old enough to chooes, they will choose an EV. I know the targeting young people worked for me and my wife! :D

coqui said:
lol yeah that's why my car is nicknamed "coqui", the headlights resemble the eyes of a small frog :lol:

That's funny. I am naming mine Cate for the bullfrogs Genus (Rana catesbeiana).

And mine is named Sally - after a friend saw photos and said she looked like a salamander! yep...bubble eyes!

Ours is called Keroppi from this Asian character... No need to explain why :)

Keroppi.gif

I was not totally bought in on the styling when I bought the car. I liked the futuristic rear end but the headlights and "gum" looking upper lip in the front was kind of a put off. However, it has since grown on me a bit over time.

My wife and I think it looks like a catfish from the front :)

Oh, and this was left under my windshield wiper blade one day when I came back to my car after public charging at a Whole Foods. I like the random feedback :)
note.jpg

yesterday, i was doing some QC experiments integrated into some errands and had a great talk with a lady, Nancy at the DCFC at Wendy's in Centrailia, WA. she was an older lady (about 60 or so) who had a huge amount of knowledge about EVs.

i found this to be very counter to previous interactions i have had. generally, the younger crowd (under driving age!) seemed to be much more aware of EVs while most of the older set had no idea that EVs were now available.

FWIW, I've gotten a number of comments and (intelligent!) questions about the car at various fast food drive-thrus... It's encouraging to see people becoming aware and asking the RIGHT questions like "what's your range" or "how far can you go" instead of "what's your mpg?". :shock:

I got a free Frosty at Wendy's for driving an EV.

(Don't go trying it yourself, it's not some new promotion...just a nice drive-thru employee!)

Back