Corroded Pin on Charger Plug -- need replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fookystyle

One of the pins for our EV charger (Type 3XB3 for a 2016 Leaf) has corroded and snapped, so I was hoping to cut the cord and replace just the plug end. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what plug end did you use? My plug end says "FDR-10T", but I can't find that anywhere....

Thanks!

Is this the end that plugs into the car? If so, you want a J1772 compatible handle/plug. They are readily available on-line.

I think this is the end that plugs into the wall. My 50 amp 240 volt end has FDR-12T on it. Is your FDR-10T the 110 volt adapter?

Yes, correct, this is the end that plugs into the wall: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0ecJtHKldGK_qs4ZGd52wyWsQ

And yes, this is the 110V plug into a regular electrical outlet. The black wire housing says: 3x2.08mm^2 (14AWG)+2x0.519mm^2(20AWG), which I assume is the wires within. So I just wasn't sure if any heavy duty 3-prong plug will work, or if I need something special to accept all those wires.

Take the assembly into a big electrical supplier and ask their advice. Also check RV and marine part suppliers.

Don't go cheap on this; screw up and you can cause untold havoc under the hood. Frankly, it might be worth your while to check with your Nissan dealer's parts department. The whole EVSE assembly is expensive but maybe you can get the plug.

Looking at the damage makes me wonder if you have been pulling the plug while the EVSE is connected to the car. Another possibility is that the receptacle that you are plugging into is also damaged. Those prongs in the picture should not suffer like that.

Pretty sure the plug has a thermal sensor in it for safety.

IF this is the case you will see more than the normal wires. This could present an extra challenge to replace the plug end.

It has been discussed here before.

That damage looks like corrosion caused by exposure to water (moisture) while energized. As Learjet said, there is a temperature sensor in the plug so you either need to obtain a replacement plug from Nissan, if available, or you will need to use a conventional heavy-duty replacement plug and bypass the temperature sensor.

fookystyle said:
Yes, correct, this is the end that plugs into the wall: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0ecJtHKldGK_qs4ZGd52wyWsQ

And yes, this is the 110V plug into a regular electrical outlet. The black wire housing says: 3x2.08mm^2 (14AWG)+2x0.519mm^2(20AWG), which I assume is the wires within. So I just wasn't sure if any heavy duty 3-prong plug will work, or if I need something special to accept all those wires.

Wow, that's gnarly. Is your receptacle outdoors? Not only replace the adapter, but get a new high-quality receptacle too* and make sure the wiring to the receptacle doesn't show signs of overheating (burned or brittle insulation). If so you may need to trim it back or even replace the wiring.
I don't have one of these units but I imagine the EVSE must have some way to detect that the 120V adapter is connected so you'd need to make sure that feature is still functioning so that it doesn't behave as if it's connected to split-phase 240V. If it's outdoors look to install some type of weather-shielding enclosure for the receptacle.
* - look for "commercial grade" or better yet, "hospital grade".

Back