Dash Mat / Dash cover or windshield sun reflectors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehunter

Hello Gang,

14 pages of threads in this section plus a search, and I dont see anything related to this.

This is my third day of ownership and I have a black dash on my 2013 SL. I can feel the heat radiating away from the dash after 8 hours in the sun. Either I cover it, or after so many years, it will start looking like hell.

Has anybody compared any third party dash covers or sun reflectors to see which fits are better and higher quality than competitors? It is either buying dash cover, or one of those windshield reflectors and your feedback is most welcome.

I have never owned a reflector, but aren't they a PITA to use day in and day out?

I purchased the Heatshield:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-NISSAN-HEATSHIELD-Windshield-Custom-fit/dp/B0062AHEM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367465895&sr=8-1&keywords=heatshield+nissan+leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love it. Fits perfectly. Some hassle if you are going to roll it up every day (I just put it in the back seat partially rolled).

See also this forum thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EricBayArea said:
It looks like the heatshield (from amazon) remains pretty big after "folding" ... is that the case?
I don't fold it. The heatshield rolls up. If you roll it tight and use the velcro (I never do) it will be about 5-6 inches in diameter and about 3.5 feet long (guessing, didn't measure it).

Edit: after seeing the heatshield in the car, I would say it is about 3 feet long when rolled up.

FWIW: that heatshield looks nice but it is quite expensive.
I use a $6 sun blocker that I picked up in wal mart years ago, while it isn't a perfect fit it fits well enough. It folds into compact unit that I toss in the back seat. also it fits in all of my cars.
regardless of which unit you buy shutting the direct sunlight coming in the windshield the car will be cooler upon entering so the A/C won't be forced to work as hard and the will be almost no U/V damage to the dash

Oddly, I've noticed quite a bit of heat infiltrating the windshield while driving. :? I've never owned a vehicle that I noticed this on...any remedy for that? I believe tinting is illegal below a certain height (I hate the pronounced line where it stops on my SO's truck windshield - so distracting).

I've always used sunshades on my cars and never found it much of a nuisance. I think I got mine from Target. And I try to park facing south (or westerly if in the afternoon) to get the best sun blocking by the shade. Except when the weather is very cold and I can use the free heat in the car.

The high altitude sun here is pretty intense (UV index 10 on any sunny day) and that is not good for a car dash: glass blocks some but not all of the UV. (BTW, it is also why people in the USA—with left-hand drive cars—get more skin cancers on the left side of the face and left arm than the right, according to dermatologists. I presume that it is the opposite in Australia.)

I have been using the Heatshield for a month now. Incredible how perfect the fit is. Am very satisfied with the inside temp of the car after it has been sitting 9 hours in the open sun. It also helps a lot cracking each window an inch at the same time too. This plays just as an important role as the Heatshield itself.

Now... I still am interested in further protecting the dash.

A one hour drive in the sun to work and and I feel the full heat coming off my black dash. Repeating this again for my one hour drive home.

So I pose the question again. Has anybody experience procuring a dash specific cover? The only thing I can think of is talking to one of those guys at the local swapmeet to find out what might be available.

I have a dashmate and it fits perfect we also have window tint film on the front window, ceramic is very light yet block the IR Heat. I really helps here in Phoenix AZ !

Back