Day 1 comments and questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turbo2ltr said:
JustinC said:
Why do you want to turn off auto-locking when driving? That's a safety feature.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't have kids, don't drive through bad neighborhoods, and I'm smart enough not to open the door when I'm driving. It might not be so bad if the drivers door never really locks like they used to do (pulling the handle unlocks the door), but when this "feature" was enabled, I was CONSTANTLY trying to get out of a locked door. It was very frustrating.

I actually think that it is safer to leave the doors UNlocked. If you were in an accident and someone was trying to help you to get out of the car, locked doors would provide a barrier to your being rescued quickly.

bwilliams said:
You're right, no waiver. I filled out the etec questionnaire and qualified. I did not know WHAT qualified me, only that I qualified. I'm furious. That's $2500 I would have saved.
This $2500 you are talking about, is that for a charging station in your garage? You don't have to go with AeroVironment, you know. You can get 240v charging capability for as little as $300.

By the way, four bars left after a 61 mile round trip, half at 60 and half at 55? Nice going - you're treating your LEAF with love, and it is rewarding you.

Ray

planet4ever said:
bwilliams said:
You're right, no waiver. I filled out the etec questionnaire and qualified. I did not know WHAT qualified me, only that I qualified. I'm furious. That's $2500 I would have saved.
This $2500 you are talking about, is that for a charging station in your garage? You don't have to go with AeroVironment, you know. You can get 240v charging capability for as little as $300.

By the way, four bars left after a 61 mile round trip, half at 60 and half at 55? Nice going - you're treating your LEAF with love, and it is rewarding you.

Ray

Some good news is that the dealer IS going to refund me some money - so that it's a break even deal for me now (sort of). So I am definitely going to look for a cheaper charging solution. And yes, the $2500 was for a blink ($1500) and electrician install ($1000). Seems like I can find a cheaper electrician too - or I might do the 240V outlet myself. I haven't even looked into this yet. I have 2 spare 240V breakers available as there used to be a pool and jacuzzi here that are no longer.

What's the $300 charging capability?

I should add that the dealer had our leaf charged to 100% and we'll continue with that temporarily to reduce range anxiety. Oh, and I've trained myself to drive conservatively for the last 6 years of Prius ownership. The Prius was/is a great teacher!

JustinC said:
turbo2ltr said:
JustinC said:
Why do you want to turn off auto-locking when driving? That's a safety feature.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't have kids, don't drive through bad neighborhoods, and I'm smart enough not to open the door when I'm driving. It might not be so bad if the drivers door never really locks like they used to do (pulling the handle unlocks the door), but when this "feature" was enabled, I was CONSTANTLY trying to get out of a locked door. It was very frustrating.

Weird, I never have any trouble getting out of the car when it is stopped. It just unlocks when I power off the car. Maybe your car has more of a delay than mine?

As far as driving through bad neighborhoods, I guess you don't live in the city.

I get out of the car without turning it off a couple times a day to get mail at home and at the office. Even when I'm parking, I tend to pull the handle and turn the car off at nearly the same time. This habit of mine also causes the chime to appear to activate randomly. If you turn the car off then open the door, chime doesn't sound, but if you do the opposite, it does.

turbo2ltr said:
Even when I'm parking, I tend to pull the handle and turn the car off at nearly the same time. This habit of mine also causes the chime to appear to activate randomly. If you turn the car off then open the door, chime doesn't sound, but if you do the opposite, it does.
I used to do that, but that habit died a couple of months ago...for the reasons you state. I appreciate the auto-lock.

bwilliams said:
What's the $300 charging capability?
Check out evseupgrade.com. If you can sub out your own 240V wiring for cheap or DIY, you can go with the evseupgrade.com solution and you'll have saved yourself from the $2500 Blink solution.

Boomer23 said:
I actually think that it is safer to leave the doors UNlocked. If you were in an accident and someone was trying to help you to get out of the car, locked doors would provide a barrier to your being rescued quickly.
Aren't the doors unlocking themselves on impact?
I'm pretty sure that happens with BMW cars; not sure about the LEAF.

bwilliams said:
Some good news is that the dealer IS going to refund me some money - so that it's a break even deal for me now (sort of).
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Good news!

Who is the dealer? They deserve some credit for making good on their mistake!

DoxyLover said:
bwilliams said:
Some good news is that the dealer IS going to refund me some money - so that it's a break even deal for me now (sort of).
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Good news!

Who is the dealer? They deserve some credit for making good on their mistake!

Mossy Nissan Escondido. Yes, they were honorable, I think. It's still not a great deal for me but I can live with it, especially if I can find an inexpensive way to put in L2.

1. $300 total. The http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; option is probably the cheapest, particularly if you have access to an electric dryer 240 volt/ 30 amp plug in. Less than $300 total.

2. $350 total. Another cheap option is to build up a "Quick220", that allows you to use to separate 120 volt outlets to make a combined 240 volt. Still have to have the EVSE upgrade mod done. Cost of the homemade Quick 220 is about $50, if you think you can build it.

How to build a Quick 220

There is the possibility that you won't find two separate 120 volt lines that are out of phase, but it's cheap to find out! Plus, you can take this with you and use it with the EVSE upgrade at other locations.

3. $700 - $900 total. The easiest, but slightly more expensive, is just buy this unit from eBay for $500 - $700 typically:

Home charging station with full 30 amp capability at a good value

Plus the electrical, which should be about $200 installed (unless your breaker box is no where near the garage).

TonyWilliams said:
1. $300 total. The http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; option is probably the cheapest, particularly if you have access to an electric dryer 240 volt/ 30 amp plug in. Less than $300 total.

2. $350 total. Another cheap option is to build up a "Quick220", that allows you to use to separate 120 volt outlets to make a combined 240 volt. Still have to have the EVSE upgrade mod done. Cost of the homemade Quick 220 is about $50, if you think you can build it. Plus, there is the possibility that you won't find to separate 120 volt lines that are out of phase. Still, it's cheap to find out! Plus, you can take this with you and use it with the EVSE upgrade at other locations.

3. $700 - $900 total. The easiest, but slightly more expensive, is just buy this unit from eBay for $500 - $700 typically:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/at_home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus the electrical, which should be about $200 installed (unless your breaker box is no where near the garage).

thank you. Are you using any of these options? My husband is reluctant to modify our EVSE. It would be nice to hear from those who have done it and it's working well for them over time (though I realize "time" hasn't been all that long).

I'm using all three options:
1. I had my EVSE upgraded and leave it in the car for travel use. It has worked flawlessly for me, even outside in the rain.
2. We purchased a professionally-made Quick220 for about $200 total, since I didn't want to hassle with building my own. We also use this for travel purposes, for plugging in at homes lacking accessible 240 V outlets.
3. For maximum convenience charging at home, I purchased a secondhand AV EVSE from a forum member who ended up getting a Blink for "free". Our total cost, including professional installation, was about $800. (It helps that the EVSE was installed just several feet away from our electrical service panel.)

Yes, there is a cost to all of the above. But for me, it's about making the car as usable as possible in a variety of circumstances.

bwilliams said:
Are you using any of these options?

Yes, I have the EVSE upgrade, version 2 (for full 240v, 16 amp service) for the 2011 and 2012 LEAF. Just be aware that the 2013 model year LEAF, and probably many/most other future electric cars will be 240v/32amps (6.6kW charger).

Also, I've built the Quick 220. Clearly, this isn't an option for somebody not versed in basic electronics, but the unit can be purchased as an assembled unit.

I do not have the AeroVironment charging station, but instead have the "free" Blink charger. I suspect the former would have been the better choice for dependability, and may actually replace my Blink with it.

My husband is reluctant to modify our EVSE. It would be nice to hear from those who have done it and it's working well for them over time (though I realize "time" hasn't been all that long).

Honestly, there's no data whatsoever to suggest that the EVSE upgrade would fail, any more so than if it were unmodified. The gentleman who did the modifications is a professional engineer, and did studies to evaluate temperature impact on the increased amperage.

To my knowledge, none have failed. Zero.

TonyWilliams said:
Honestly, there's no data whatsoever to suggest that the EVSE upgrade would fail, any more so than if it were unmodified. The gentleman who did the modifications is a professional engineer, and did studies to evaluate temperature impact on the increased amperage.

More importantly, Phil's a stand up guy who participates here, and he gives great customer service. I also have one of the Rev 2 upgrades, and when I did have a problem (Sorry Tony, but I am the only one I know of, and it was probably a voltage spike on my circuit) he had me send it back, and repaired it pronto, for free. I can't imagine him leaving anyone in a state where their upgrade wasn't working. The upgrades have been out for about 6 months now, and have been very popular. If they were going to give people problems, we would know by now.

I have the EVSE Rev2 upgrade, and also bought the Quick220 box. No problem with either.

Before you consider the EVSE Rev1 or Rev2 upgrade, investigate the 240V supply option first. Either by looking for an existing 240V you already have (unused dryer outlet), or considering installing a 240V outlet, or find 2 120V out-of-phase non-GFIC outlets where you can plug a Quick220 into.

Once you have figured out your 240V supply option, then you can consider the EVSE Rev1 or Rev2 option next. Or if you don't want to modify your Nissan-supplied EVSE, you can look for other EVSE options that are much cheaper than the $1500 Blink option. Most other EVSE options that cost half as much (around $650-$750) are more than adequate for your need.

davewill said:
TonyWilliams said:

More importantly, Phil's a stand up guy who participates here, and he gives great customer service. I also have one of the Rev 2 upgrades, and when I did have a problem (Sorry Tony, but I am the only one I know of, and it was probably a voltage spike on my circuit) he had me send it back, and repaired it pronto, for free. I can't imagine him leaving anyone in a state where their upgrade wasn't working. The upgrades have been out for about 6 months now, and have been very popular. If they were going to give people problems, we would know by now.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm sort of big on data rather than anecdotes and this is a data point of one of a failure of the upgrade. I am in no way meaning to offend anyone here. But unless one polls everyone with the upgrade then we really don't know the reliability of it. Maybe Phil is tracking his upgrades for reliability?

Sounds like the Blink is not terribly reliable? I emailed the AV people today and I'm waiting for a quote back (unit only, no install service). I already read on someone's post that AV charges more for their unit if you don't go with their installation.

bwilliams said:
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm sort of big on data rather than anecdotes and this is a data point of one of a failure of the upgrade. I am in no way meaning to offend anyone here. But unless one polls everyone with the upgrade then we really don't know the reliability of it. Maybe Phil is tracking his upgrades for reliability?

Sounds like the Blink is not terribly reliable? I emailed the AV people today and I'm waiting for a quote back (unit only, no install service). I already read on someone's post that AV charges more for their unit if you don't go with their installation.
Based on what I have seen and learned on this forum and my personal experience with Phil, I would recommend the Panasonic EVSE upgrade without hesitation. It may not be a perfect fit for everyone, and I opted for the Voltec 240V charge station made by SPX. It's only available to existing or future Volt owners, but that should not be a hurdle. I'm happy with it, and I believe that it's the most affordable commercial EVSE out there. I would also watch for the outcome of the EVSE project on the forum, which looks quite promising.

bwilliams said:

I've had several problems with my Blink. After numerous software downloads, one SD card replacement, and multiple wifi problems, it hasn't failed in the past month or so.

I didn't know that AV did installs. I thought they just sold them. I would steer well clear of any company that installed these, because there isn't anything a basic electrician can't do for much cheaper.

You can buy the GE Wattstation, and another EVSE whose name escapes me, at Lowes and Home Depot. Call your local big box hardware and see if they have something reasonably priced. You expenses for 2011 are still tax deductible !!!!

I picked up the Leviton unit pretty cheap (~$650, ebay) and installed it myself on an old dryer circuit I wasn't using. I also did the upgrade to the panasonic EVSE as recommended by many folks here on the forum; no issues with it so far.

Yesterday Blink installed my free EVSE which replaces the Leviton. I already don't like it as much. It's bigger, noisier, cheaper-feeling (plastic case and terrible handle shape) and has a klunky interface. Still, free is free. The Leviton is now being installed at my shop on the other side of town so I don't have to unpack the modified panasonic unit every time I go to the shop.

Most modern cars do the 'auto-lock' thing these days. My Transit Connect van does it. I do agree, though, that the 'pull inside handle while stopped = auto unlock' behavior should have been included on the Leaf. My passengers tend to try to leap out of the car the moment I slow down and get all frustrated that they have to dig for the unlock button or (gasp) wait 3 dang seconds for me to put it in park and shut off the car. :)

We have had only a few failures, and of those at least one was due to external factors. We replaced/repaired them all free of charge within a few days.

I can confidently say statistically our reliability is greater than 99.5% which is probably better than any other EVSE on the market right now. I don't have any hard figures for any units other than our own, but if you tally up the reported problems here on all of them we are WAY ahead!

I can't take all the credit for the reliability, most of it comes from how well Panasonic engineered and constructed the unit. They are almost bulletproof!

-Phil

Back