DCQC for Dummies

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charge

Hoping that folks who've had DCQC in their area can provide a primer for the rest of us. I have a few questions -

1. I always thought that I could get 80% charge in about 20-30 minutes. However I am currently seeing 45-50 minute charge times even if the battery is at 40%. What impacts charge time?
Cold - makes it how much slower?
Higher SOC - does the DCQC throttle back power supply?
Demand Charges - how can I tell if the DCQC is being limited (probably due to demand charges)?
80% vs. 100% - I understand the DCQC tapers power supply at higher SOC. How much more to time to expect to go to 100% vs. 80%

2. Is it OK to leave the car on while charging?

3. Is it OK to use heater while car is on?

4. Any risk leaving the car while it is charging?

5. Is it OK to unplug during a charge or should you always turn the DCQC off first?

6. Are some DCQCs better than others?

7. What temp rise can you expect from a DCQC? (I saw about 10 degrees F during a cold day).

8. At what battery temp would you avoid DCQC? 85F?

9. Does DCQC improve range in cold weather since it heats up the battery?

10. Do DCQC units show up differently in Carwings? (I know they do in Plugshare, but not sure about Carwings)

charge said:
Hoping that folks who've had DCQC in their area can provide a primer for the rest of us. I have a few questions -

1. I always thought that I could get 80% charge in about 20-30 minutes. However I am currently seeing 45-50 minute charge times even if the battery is at 40%. What impacts charge time?
Demand Charges - how can I tell if the DCQC is being limited (probably due to demand charges)?
80% vs. 100% - I understand the DCQC tapers power supply at higher SOC. How much more to time to expect to go to 100% vs. 80%

Yes ambient temps and battery temps affect rate of charge as well as how the QC machine is programmed and how full the battery is.

Yes but make sure it's off before you begin charging.

Yes.

No.

5. Is it OK to unplug during a charge or should you always turn the DCQC off first?

Always hit the stop button (not the emergency one) on QC machine and wait for the red light on the charge handle to turn off before disconnect.

The Eaton units I have used seem to get cranky when trying to connect, The Sumitomo (Nissan branded) units work great.

7. What temp rise can you expect from a DCQC? (I saw about 10 degrees F during a cold day).

Too many variables to try to guess.

If I recall correctly the units won't function over 110*f but someone here will check my facts.

No.

10. Do DCQC units show up differently in Carwings? (I know they do in Plugshare, but not sure about Carwings)

Only when you select "details" about the station listed. Stick to using Plugshare, it's the best so far.

"Answers" inline... :D
charge said:

Your Nissan Leaf tells the DCQC the maximum current to allow and the DCQC is allowed to throttle below that level too.

Yes, but DCQC charging won't start unless the car is turned off.

Yes.

No.

The DCQC locks the connector into your vehicle, so it can't be removed until the DCQC turns off.

Coke or Pepsi? :D

I'll let someone with more "scientific" info chime in here.

I avoid between 90 and 100F.

Not to a measurable degree.

Yes it does. A DCQC looks like a gas pump, while Level 2 looks like a cord.

Back