Dealer says Canada not getting 2016 30kWh option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSarge

Good morning everyone,

This is my first post to MNL after lurking for some time... I am an avid Prius owner in Canada since 2006 (365K KM and counting), and my wife and I are planning to replace her ICE (Kia Rio 2006) in the near future. We have been planning to do so for about a year, and have been waiting for the 2016 with the 30kWh as the added range would be much appreciated.

I reached out this week to the Nissan rep we met a year ago when we test drove the LEAF about when the 2016's with the 30kWh will be available, and his first reply was the 30 kWh is only for the US, the battery is remaining 24 kWh for the Canadian market (!). I responded asking if he was sure, as I saw no suggestion of this online, and here is his second reply;

"Hi Kevin,

We have received the specs for the 2016 models with the exterior paint changes and modifications.
It lists the battery as no change from the existing 24 kWh.

You are not the first to inquire about this.
We have had a couple of other potential Leaf Owners interested in the new 30 kWh battery.

We do not have pricing yet on the 2016's.
I would expect they will be available sometime in November.

Thanks,

Carey"

I responded to this last night referencing the recent InsideEVs article (http://insideevs.com/nissan-releases-canadian-pricing-2016-leaf), and am awaiting his reply.

Has anyone else heard this from a dealer?

Lastly, just to add, this sales guy is very nice, and is absolutely no pressure, so I highly doubt he is saying this to encourage me to buy a 2015 now... in fact I am surprised he never even called us last year after our test drive (I work in Sales myself, and I thought that not following up was a big miss on his part, but I digress. :p)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kevin
(A future LEAF owner)

KSarge said:
I responded to this last night referencing the recent InsideEVs article (http://insideevs.com/nissan-releases-canadian-pricing-2016-leaf), and am awaiting his reply.
Your link implies a 30-kWh battery based on the Canadian EPA figures:
InsideEVs said:
Thankfully, Nissan Canada has dropped using overly optimistic range estimates in the country, and now quotes the US EPA figures verbatim…but in kilometers of course – 173 km/107 miles (unlike in Europe where 155 miles/250 km is still quoted)
While it is conceivable that Nissan could forgo the new chemistry in Canada and still offer the improved battery capacity warranty due entirely to the climate there, I suspect your dealer is simply clueless.

Here it is straight from the horse's mouth: http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/releases/new-2016-nissan-leaf-now-offers-best-in-class-172-km-range-in-affordable-fun-to-drive-package

As usual, dealers aren't the brightest bulbs in the box and are probably looking at no change from 24kWh in the base S model. The SV and SL will get the larger 30kWh pack in Canada to match the U.S.

Devin said:
Here it is straight from the horse's mouth: http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/releases/new-2016-nissan-leaf-now-offers-best-in-class-172-km-range-in-affordable-fun-to-drive-package

As usual, dealers aren't the brightest bulbs in the box and are probably looking at no change from 24kWh in the base S model. The SV and SL will get the larger 30kWh pack in Canada to match the U.S.

+1, if this forum had such I'd up vote your post :)

Can't do better than the official Nissan PR on the Nissan web site. From yesterday even.

dhanson865 said:
Can't do better than the official Nissan PR on the Nissan web site. From yesterday even.
They actually posted the press release about a week ago but did so with some weird incentive numbers for BC (including Scrap-It incentive) factored into the purchase price. The updated release just shows the max EV rebates by province.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

As much as I have been googling this daily, I somehow did not come across that link from Nissannews. That pretty much should settle it, and that he ill-informed.

I will be sure to forward that back to him. ;-)

Thanks! :cool:

KSarge said:

As much as I have been googling this daily, I somehow did not come across that link from Nissannews. That pretty much should settle it, and that he ill-informed.

An ill-informed (or mendacious) car salesperson, especially regarding EVs - surely you jest? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

GRA said:
KSarge said:

An ill-informed (or mendacious) car salesperson, especially regarding EVs - surely you jest? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Yeah, hard to believe, right? ;-)

I really find it amazing how often I am shopping for something and I feel I know more about the product than the salesperson I am talking to, but that is probably more a reflection of my over-analytical personality than anything else... :D

KSarge said:
GRA said:
KSarge said:

Yeah, hard to believe, right? ;-)

I really find it amazing how often I am shopping for something and I feel I know more about the product than the salesperson I am talking to, but that is probably more a reflection of my over-analytical personality than anything else... :D
That's usually been my experience, but then I do my homework beforehand on major purchases. It happens to always be true for car salescritters, most of whom change jobs frequently, and who's skills tend to be in the sales line rather than the providing accurate information line. That's why I always start off by asking auto salespeople basic questions that I already know the answers to. The accuracy of their answers guides me in deciding how much faith to put in their answers to those few questions I might not already know the answer to, as well as their general reliability/honesty. I much prefer to have a salesperson tell me they don't know the answer, than one who acts as if they do and is willing to spout nonsense to make a sale.

GRA said:
KSarge said:
That's usually been my experience, but then I do my homework beforehand on major purchases. It happens to always be true for car salescritters, most of whom change jobs frequently, and who's skills tend to be in the sales line rather than the providing accurate information line. That's why I always start off by asking auto salespeople basic questions that I already know the answers to. The accuracy of their answers guides me in deciding how much faith to put in their answers to those few questions I might not already know the answer to, as well as their general reliability/honesty. I much prefer to have a salesperson tell me they don't know the answer, than one who acts as if they do and is willing to spout nonsense to make a sale.

Thanks, and I agree, that is a great 'litmus test' to establish credibility. ;-)

As a follow up, I sent the NissanNews link to the sales guy, and here is his reply;

"Wow ! Thanks, Kevin!

Boy do we look foolish. No mention of the 30 kwh battery in any of the specs!

On the plus side, this is very good news!

I’ll let you know when the ‘16’s roll in!

Thanks,

Carey"

So, it confirms that is was at least a matter of being poorly informed, and not any kind of deception, LOL.

Remains to be seen whether I buy the car from him, hopefully his negotiation skills are similar to his product knowledge... ;-)

Kevin

Back