Detailed Question on Condo EV Charger Install / CA Law

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mymontreal said:
... I just had a call back from them and they say that unfortunately, they are unable to provide a quote - they say that because the main panel in the meter room is rated at 100A, there would be issues with the sub-panel upstairs given that my condo has an electric oven an electric dryer...

Maybe they are correct, as I don't know much about this...

Thoughts ?
Ask them if the panel could support a 16a EVSE, then you only need a 20a circuit. Still plenty to get charged overnight.

The 20A option might work. Good idea.

The statute indicates the HOA has to have architectural standards that permit the install. Your HOA seems to be saying that no install would pass. I'd press them to tell me exactly what the standards are. (Saying that a disconnect box is unsightly strikes me as absurd when we're talking about a parking structure). I can see something that says you have to paint it or even box it but that would be about as far as the standards could go. Basically if you install it in accordance with the building codes so it's not a danger the HOA has to approve it and it can't use architectural review to significantly increase costs much less prohibit the installation.

mymontreal said:
So it continues to be a fun week... :)

I had a new Electrical Installation company come out this week to give me an alternate quote for the EV install - we were looking at Option 1 i.e.. tapping into the condo power conduits that run across the ceiling in the parking garage (these then continue up to the individual condo units).

I just had a call back from them and they say that unfortunately, they are unable to provide a quote - they say that because the main panel in the meter room is rated at 100A, there would be issues with the sub-panel upstairs given that my condo has an electric oven an electric dryer...

Maybe they are correct, as I don't know much about this...

Thoughts ?

I have a 2760 sqft, 5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath, 3 car garage, house with a 125 amp panel, they had no problem adding a 40 amp breaker for the EVSE. I would think a condo would have a little room left with 100 amp panel, have then do load calculations. Sounds like someone is being lazy.

The appliances make a major difference. I have 100A service but everything is gas. There is more than enough room for a 240VAC 40A breaker. If I had all electric appliances and air conditioning I would be dead in the water.

Back