DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a warning in my workplace that conditions are favorable for Tornado. I am going to throw myself over my Leaf to protect it from hail :)

adric22 & dpfeif -

Everything okay at home? My wife was at Kroger on Green Oaks and Pleasant Ridge - diagonal to CVS. They herded everyone into the coolers, supposedly the funnel was just south of there.

j.

jhm614 said:
adric22 & dpfeif -

Everything okay at home? My wife was at Kroger on Green Oaks and Pleasant Ridge - diagonal to CVS. They herded everyone into the coolers, supposedly the funnel was just south of there.

I'm not sure. I haven't gone home yet, I'm still at work. Somebody took this video and posted it on youtube. This shows the tornado passing over highway 287 near Sublett rd. Well, my home is right there. I called my neighbor and he said my house is still in one piece, but there is debris scattered all through the neighborhood covering the street, power lines, and yards. He also said the electricity is out. So I guess it could be worse.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxsxKi0WgxU&feature=youtu.[/youtube]

Well, I got home and dried off all the water on my Leaf.. It has significant hail damage. I couldn't tell when I looked at it at work because of all of the water sitting on it.

adric22 said:
Well, I got home and dried off all the water on my Leaf.. It has significant hail damage. I couldn't tell when I looked at it at work because of all of the water sitting on it.
Not good, please post picture

EdmondLeaf said:
adric22 said:
Not good, please post picture

Well.. I would post a picture, but it is rather difficult. The dents are minor, so you sort of have to be moving or in the light just right to see them. Plus it is very dark outside due to the heavy overcast and it is almost sunset. Maybe tomorrow I'll get some better photos.

I did call Allstate and I have an appointment with them on Friday to assess the damage. Does anyone know of a trustworthy bodyshop in Tarrant County? I used to have a place that did fantastic work, but ironically they are out of business now.

Drove today from Plano to Dallas, NTEAA (North Texas Electric Auto Association) monthly meeting (only to find out that got over yesterday).

Round trip 58 miles with around 30 of those in the freeway at 62mph and the rest on city streets. When I reached home the trip meter said 58 miles and GOM at 34. That means I could have had 90 miles with a mixture of highway + city driving till VLB. Of course no AC though, the weather was simpy too pleasant with occassional rain and wet payment throughout.

mkjayakumar said:
Round trip 58 miles with around 30 of those in the freeway at 62mph and the rest on city streets. When I reached home the trip meter said 58 miles and GOM at 34. That means I could have had 90 miles with a mixture of highway + city driving till VLB. Of course no AC though, the weather was simpy too pleasant with occassional rain and wet payment throughout.

What was the miles per kWh for this trip? How exactly are you determining the distance to VLB?

Miles/kWh was 4.8.

My remaining distance to VLB is just my own guesstimate based on previous runs. If GoM says 34 miles, I can be fairly certain that if I maintain 4.8 miles/kWh I will get 34 or more. At those lower SOC closer towards 1/4th of the battery capacity the GoM seems more accurate. I didn't pay attention the number of power bars.

mkjayakumar said:
Miles/kWh was 4.8.

My remaining distance to VLB is just my own guesstimate based on previous runs. If GoM says 34 miles, I can be fairly certain that if I maintain 4.8 miles/kWh I will get 34 or more. At those lower SOC closer towards 1/4th of the battery capacity the GoM seems more accurate. I didn't pay attention the number of power bars.

Ok, well it's pretty easy to figure out in nice, warm Texas. 4.8 * 21 = 100 miles (had you continued at that same economy)

100 miles - 58 = 42 miles. There would have been about 8 miles left at VLB at 4.8miles/kWh, which means 42 - 8 equals 34 miles. Remarkable.

Just remember that will only work in flat country !!!!! Really flat country !

I love texas and its predicatable driving range. The only time I get jolted is when there is a cold snap and I forget how much temperature affects the range. Unfortunately, I barely hold 4.0 miles per kWh. Its mostly 3.9. But I guess thats me never driving in ECO.

Pipcecil said:
I love texas and its predicatable driving range. The only time I get jolted is when there is a cold snap and I forget how much temperature affects the range. Unfortunately, I barely hold 4.0 miles per kWh. Its mostly 3.9. But I guess thats me never driving in ECO.
I still don't think anyone has actually done an experiment during the heat of the Summer to find out whether the Leaf will have better range driving on the highway with the A/C running constantly or the windows down, creating more drag. If nobody else does it, I'll wait until July or so, and try it. I'll pick a freeway route of several miles and drive it several times under each condition and check the Miles per Kwh rating for each trip.

Pipcecil said:
The winter of February 2011 would have been interesting test of range impact.

I see improvement of about a mile going from 40 to 80F. At 80F from my experience opening window halfway is much better than using AC but I think @100F there will be not many that will drive with windows opened especially for longer drives.
Did not see any Leaf during my recent DFW trip

Got my Blink card yesterday, activated it, and checked it out today in 'Twin Peaks', in Preston Rd., Frisco right next to the Mall. Worked great. There were two Blink chargers. and one of them was ICEd but the other one was empty. As I plugged in I noticed the ICE driver was pulling out and I requested him not to park, and he was fine with it.

I also spoke to the establishment's manager to see if he can keep an eye to keep those two parking slots free. He was aplogetic, but also mentioned that he has never seen any other electric car than mine charging in those spots, in the one year since those were installed.. !!

Back