DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipcecil said:
Despite it being done before, but at the behest of friends and family my wife and I are going to do some racing with my leaf vs her new volt. We plan on making our runs at the Texas Motorplex on Friday, June 8th. The motorplex has open racing to anyone on friday nights and we were both taking that day off for her birthday (its the previous tuesday). I will post the final results the next monday.

If you had picked the Texas Raceway in Kennedale, I'd definitely come since it is about 2 miles from my home. In fact, I often wish they raced more EV's out there because sometimes it is hard to sleep with all of the noise from that track.

However, Texas Motorplex is about 40 miles from Kennedale so that is 80 miles round-trip. I suppose I could attend if I could stop at your place in Midlothian for a charge.

Yea, the Enis on (its the one half way between IH 45 and IH 35E) is the closest to us, my wife and I live in Midlothian, so its only about 20 miles for us to get to the racetrack. I guess there is one benefit living so far south, HAHAH.

Recent eVgo additions announced in an email:

Walgreens:
1020 N. Collins St., Dallas, TX 75224
Offering Level 2 and DC fast charging

Cracker Barrell:
Three Locations!

1421 N. Interstate 35 E., Desoto, TX 75115

13301 South Freeway, Burleson, TX 76028

1251 North Watson Rd, Arlington, TX 76006

Link: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...1FXFDDVvCwHcRiNCOLkP8MWsHCza7ppayYHCCcK_OkQ==

Wind blows

Getting ready to head to a tennis tournament in Mansfield this evening (from Plano).
It is 44 miles, with a QC at the 30 mile point (Cracker Barrel near Six Flags).

Looks like a 20 MPH headwind heading down.

That means driving on George Bush at 70, it is effectively 90 so kiss the range goodbye. Pretty much driving the car at top speed, wonder if the QC at 30 miles is even reachable at that speed. The range chart only goes up to 75 :-(

Don't tell me to drive 50, ain't gonna happen. But there may be traffic which would slow me down and help, I guess.

Now I realize I can make it and the trip back will be a snap with the tail wind. But it does make things a little interesting.

Every trip over 30 miles is a math problem.

Cheezmo said:
Getting ready to head to a tennis tournament in Mansfield this evening (from Plano).
It is 44 miles, with a QC at the 30 mile point (Cracker Barrel near Six Flags).
Well, I'm just a few miles North of Mansfield on Highway 287. I'm on plug-share. If worse comes to worse, you know how to contact me.

I had a first yesterday two Leaf sightings in one day besides a Leaf event. The first was a blue one going south on Preston around 7 in the morning. The second on was a red one at the West Plano Costco around 4:30 or so in the afternoon.

Not really sure what my point other than when I initially planned the trip it seemed like a piece of cake, but 20MPH winds can change things up.

Not having all the time in the world (trying to get to tennis matches, etc.), calling for roadside assistance is not an option.

I'll be fine. It is still a piece of cake, thanks to the well located eVgo QC station.

Drove 29 miles to Cracker Barrel, grabbed a bite to eat while charging from 62% to 98%.

Drive to 15 miles to tournament in Mansfield, then 44 miles back home, most at 70 MPH. 8 miles of range left. No sweat.

8am match tomorrow. Probably make a shorter coffee stop on the way down and also stop on the way back if it is windy again.

Temped to just go the 44 miles and charge on the way back, but if there is a strong south wind, it is probably best to charge a bit on the way down.

I've made this trip twice. Bailed on the second one in one day, because it wasn't going to be a near an eating time, and didn't want to stop for an extra QC to make the second trip.

Third time will be today (son made it to consolation finals!).

On the second trip charged from 56% to 98% (less traffic same wind so used more batter to get there). Was going to make it home fine but decided to QC a bit 6 miles from home to have some charge left for later in the day (and possible 2nd trip which I didn't make).

Looks windy again today, so I'm not going to try the charge on the way back method. Playing it safe.

Cheezmo said:
Drove 29 miles to Cracker Barrel, grabbed a bite to eat while charging from 62% to 98%.

Drive to 15 miles to tournament in Mansfield, then 44 miles back home, most at 70 MPH. 8 miles of range left. No sweat.

8am match tomorrow. Probably make a shorter coffee stop on the way down and also stop on the way back if it is windy again.

Temped to just go the 44 miles and charge on the way back, but if there is a strong south wind, it is probably best to charge a bit on the way down.

EdmondLeaf said:
Cheezmo said:
IThird time will be today (son made it to consolation finals!)
Great, congrats. Did QC increased your battery temp, how many temp bars for those trips.

Did get up to 7 bars but not 8 even when I did two in the same day because they were spread out.

Cracker Barrel had a long wait so we just got a little QC bump 5kwh on the way down. Will have to charge on the way back this time. Wind was strong, 2.8m/kwh for 30 miles at 70.

Steve, Congrats on your son's Consolation finals. Hope he wins.

I have done the same chauffeuring for over two years for close to 50 trips last year and the year before on an ICE when my son was very active in the Dallas tennis circuit. Most of those were 50 miles round trip and would have been perfect if I had a Leaf then.

Jay

He did win, 6-0, 6-0. And the kid who beat him in his first match was winning the tournament when we left, so not much to feel bad about there....

As I said before our QC was cut short on the way down so we stopped again 31 miles from home to QC on the way back, only did about 10 minutes, got it up to 62 miles on the GOM. With that pad I decided to zip home at 75 with the wind at my tail and made it back with 2 bars, 14 on the GOM.

Next local tournament is in North Richland hills, which will be a little different as the QC is a little out of the way, but I think it will work out well.

So, I made 3 of the 4 88-mile round trips with the leaf. QC'd 5 times (to 98% twice, the others just ten minute quickies). Battery never got past 7 bars temperature with ambient temps in the 90's. I feel a little bad now about using the ICE for the 2nd trip on Saturday, knowing now that a quick 10 minutes at the QC will bump it up for the next leg of the trip I think I would do it next time.

Looks like I might get my GID's checked on Monday.

Mileage is 2100. Carwings reports my average efficiency to be 3.7m/kWh, I'm not quite as badass as I talk. I have done over 10 QC's; 4.5 in one day once, and 2 in one day twice.

It is about what you enjoy the most. I sent PM to quite few people in DFW that tzzhc4 is offering GID measurement, but missed a lot, spread the word so we will have idea what is going on around here.

EdmondLeaf said:
It is about what you enjoy the most. I sent PM to quite few people in DFW that tzzhc4 is offering GID measurement, but missed a lot, spread the word so we will have idea what is going on around here.

Stanton has the SOC meter till next Wednesday 6/6/12. Trying to get a baseline with a few 80% and 100% charges over the course of a week and then do the same with his car after the summer to see if there is any significant drop. I also PM'd a few other people about getting the SOC meter to them too.

Back