Did new firmware change low battery warning?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
I had the new firmware uploaded and not only does the SOC seem better but the steering is stiffer, the stereo system sounds much better and the regen is now selectable on the NAV screen for higher regen on the "D" mode. You can also watch movies from the ipod on the NAV screen! Nice job Nissan!
I want it! :mrgreen:

Getting back on topic, the range at the battery warnings, just like everything else with range, is dependent on the type of driving you did previously. Thats not to say they didn't change it, but my guess is you just did some heavy driving prior to the observation, making the range estimate quite low.

turbo2ltr said:
Getting back on topic, the range at the battery warnings, just like everything else with range, is dependent on the type of driving you did previously. Thats not to say they didn't change it, but my guess is you just did some heavy driving prior to the observation, making the range estimate quite low.
More than likely, you're right. Though I don't recall anything different that day, except for the range estimates being all wonky. In any case, I was just trying to see if anyone else had noticed any changes - but somehow started a comedy thread instead. :lol:

garygid said:
Is the battery pack able to "balance" the cells?
The senior Leaf technician at my dealership told me:
1. The car tracks the each of the 48 battery modules carefully, watching for cell imbalances. A very small deviation will cause an warning light to tell you to bring it in for service. They will replace the module, because balanced cells are important for battery pack performance.
2. The car does NOT re-balance the modules or cells itself.

Does this report conflict with information you have ?

smkettner said:
I have run my Leaf down to 6 or 7 miles a couple times with no low battery warning. Is this normal?

Yes, and you should have (very rough estimate of) about 10 more miles left once you see --- as long as your car was updated with the newest firmware.

-Matt

Lopton said:
Yes, and you should have (very rough estimate of) about 10 more miles left once you see --- as long as your car was updated with the newest firmware.

-Matt

Depending on your kw/mile usage, using the current firmware, you'll get the following miles remaining:

1st Battery warning:......20 miles (38mph, best) to 10 miles (70mph freeway)

2nd Very Low warning:..10 miles to 5 miles

Turtle:............................about 1 mile

Last night I got a slug light on the dash, the car only reached 2 MPH, does this sound correct? I assume this is the last mode after turtle.

EVDRIVER said:
Last night I got a slug light on the dash, the car only reached 2 MPH, does this sound correct? I assume this is the last mode after turtle.

From a long time forum user: that's funny!

But looking at a lot of your humor posts from a new-user perspective, the lack of smily or laughing faces can lead to confusion. I guarantee you there are people new to this forum or new to the car wondering if there really is a 'slug' light...... :|

EVDRIVER said:

And the last warning after that is a shoe... that's what you will need if you want to go any further... get to pushing. :lol:

smkettner said:
I have run my Leaf down to 6 or 7 miles a couple times with no low battery warning. Is this normal?

I had my first 'low battery' warning the other day with 11 miles left, then 30 seconds later, it went to '10'. And that was with a 5.8m/Kwh on the dash.

1. Presumably the SOC level for the "Low Battery" Warning did not change, but now the LBW occurs when 1-bar (low?) is indicated instead during 2-bar (high?).

2. I believe that the Nissan Service Manual describes an "equalization" of battery cells, right?
(I susect the dealer-guy is mistaken.)

Every large battery pack is balanced (or equalized, the words are often used interchangeably). Even laptops are. If you don't, your car will lose range very quickly (I am talking about many percents over few thousand miles) because of the difference in coulombic efficiency between cells.

Let me be clear, the cells won't get worse because you don't balance (at the first order), just you won't be able to extract all the charge from an unbalanced pack. Balance it once (even after you lost significant range) and things will go back to normal.

Back