Do you expect leather option in a $32K car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bicster said:
For anyone who can't live without leather, there's always the upcoming Infiniti EV.

There will probably also be aftermarket leather patterns. I've seen some very well done aftermarket leather seats. If any airbags are built into the seats, though, it becomes rather complicated and I wouldn't risk it...
I suspect we will have to pay $10K extra for Infinity, play pay much more for service. No thanks, just give me leather like option.

Nissan is using recycled fabrics and this is the reason for certain lighter interior colors, per Nissan.

"Also, the in-seat heating might tend to dry and crack the leather."

Oh please. Plenty of people have warmers beneath their leather seats already and with no problems. My sister in her car and my best friend in his car.

I want leather seats. When they get that as an option, I'll buy one. Or get covers.

jenn976 said:
I want leather seats. When they get that as an option, I'll buy one. Or get covers.
So, to you leather option is more important than not using gas ?! Obviously not the intended demo of Leaf.

Randy said:
It's not so much a leather issue for me, but I don't like the very light-colored fabric they seem to have chosen in the one-size fits all interior. Yes, darker fabric may bring some heat issues, but I don't want the inside of my car to show every scuff, shoe print, dirt spot, etc. I'll reserve more judgment until we see the real deal during the test drives, but right now I wish it were a little bit darker....

Someone on here bought inexpensive ($30-$40) seat covers at K-Mart to address that problem.

evnow said:
jenn976 said:
So, to you leather option is more important than not using gas ?! Obviously not the intended demo of Leaf.

Who said anything about it being more important than not using gas? I LOVE the idea of the Nissan Leaf, can't wait to buy one. I just want them to put the option together before I buy. I'm having to wait until next year to buy. For a $30K+ car, I want the leather option. But that's just me.

evnow said:
Personally, I prefer cloth - they tend to look better for a longer period (I strictly ban all food items in the car :twisted: ).

You can't be serious. I've never had cloth that tended to look better for a loner period of time. Even with no food allowed. But whatever, everyone is entitled to their wishes. I just don't see this as a reason.

evnow said:
jenn976 said:

EVNow your supposed to say "Welcome to the forum" first.... then start the questioning ;) . Personally, I like the durability and feel of leather. I still have some of my old leather jackets from high school now that I think about it.

On the other hand, I do respect that others are very sensitive to animal rights issues, are vegetarians, etc.

jenn976 said:
You can't be serious. I've never had cloth that tended to look better for a loner period of time. Even with no food allowed. But whatever, everyone is entitled to their wishes. I just don't see this as a reason.
Wishes ? Thats my observation - I see all the old cars with leather seats sagging.

BTW, Leaf is not a 32K car. It is a 25K car.

jenn976 said:
evnow said:
Personally, I prefer cloth - they tend to look better for a longer period (I strictly ban all food items in the car :twisted: ).
You can't be serious. I've never had cloth that tended to look better for a longer period of time. Even with no food allowed. But whatever, everyone is entitled to their wishes. I just don't see this as a reason.

Yes jenn, cloth will last longer than leather, especially if you live in a hot, humid climate and don't use your A/C so much. I had high grade leather in my '90 Toyota Celica GT-S that discolored, sagged, cracked all over and then split. It cost a pretty penny to have it repaired/replaced.

The Leaf is very thin on options, probably they did this to simplify production for the first year until they have it under control.. then more options will become available in an effort to increase profitability... some of the standard features may actually become options, such as NAV and AC.

But let me tell you, I was not expecting $19k worth of batteries in a $25k car.. assuming the battery has an actual capacity of 27kwh.

I know the tanning process is incredibly bad for the environment. That being said -- I would have been very, very tempted by the leather option. (ducking)

I care less about the impact of leather on the environment, and more about my car being destroyed because light colored cloth seats are going to be a magnet for dirt, spills, etc.

Maybe i'll go shoot some caribou this summer and make some seat covers out of them.

When I first considered the early Prius, which at the time didn't have leather as an option, I heard someone suggest that it never would due to the political correctness angle.

Fast forward to 2007, when we finally did get a Prius. We wanted the hard-to-find Touring model, and could only find it with leather, so that's what we got.

Would I get leather in my Leaf if it were an option? Probably not, but I don't see a problem with Nissan offering it for the 2012. If you object to leather, don't get it.

rainnw said:
I care less about the impact of leather on the environment, and more about my car being destroyed because light colored cloth seats are going to be a magnet for dirt, spills, etc.

Car destroyed?.. for gods sake, go get a set of cheap seat covers right now!.. do you have a stroke if you get a door ding?

Back