does hardwire wattstation lose less electricty vs plug in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmasu

Hi All,
Just wondering if the hardwired version of the GE wattstation has less loss of power than the plug version, all else being equal, placement length of wire etc. I assume that the plug in one has some "leakage" but was wondering if it was very little as not to make a difference. I ask because I am installing one soon and have a choice.
I wont need to be moving the evse so portability doesnt play into it.
Thanks

Hm, if I understand your question correctly, it's a decision between hardwiring the station or having a plug, which would allow you to sever the connection. I believe that most of these stations have only a few watts of losses, but that could add up over time. I don't know if there was a difference in installation cost, and if the electricity savings would pay for that delta over two or three years. However, if it didn't matter I would personally most likely elect to have a plug. Not necessarily to save power. I would be interested in the added versatility and flexibility. Just my $0.02.

Thanks that what I thought too but was wondering if anyone else had evidence etc.

Rmasu said:
Just wondering if the hardwired version of the GE wattstation has less loss of power than the plug version, all else being equal, placement length of wire etc. I assume that the plug in one has some "leakage" but was wondering if it was very little as not to make a difference.
Installed properly, there is no measurable difference between the two. Install the one that works best for you.

thanks for the replys! I got it from lowes and will mount, from breaker box to evse is about 4 ft pretty short!
THan ks

I can't say with 100% certainty but wanted to let you know there may be a compatibility problem with the GE chargers and the Leaf. We bought the GE charger from Lowe's, too, but we've returned it and are buying an Aerovironment charger instead. The dealer told us there have been problems with the GE chargers and we don't want to take any chances.

Benjenn said:
I can't say with 100% certainty but wanted to let you know there may be a compatibility problem with the GE chargers and the Leaf. We bought the GE charger from Lowe's, too, but we've returned it and are buying an Aerovironment charger instead. The dealer told us there have been problems with the GE chargers and we don't want to take any chances.
Really? Could you be a little bit more specific, what kind of problem did you have with the WattStation? I believe that several folks on the forum have it, and we haven't heard of too many issues so far.

Rmasu said:
I assume that the plug in one has some "leakage" but was wondering if it was very little as not to make a difference.
What you call "leakage" is actually "loss" due to resistance. In a mechanical world this would be comparable to loss due to friction. Any appreciable loss would have to show up as heat, so unless the plug is getting warm, there's not enough to matter. Even if it did get warm, say you lost 10 watts, that would be 10/3800 or 0.2 percent of your power. I bet the effects of periodic line voltage changes would be more than that. Just for fun, I'll feel the plug on mine tonight when it's charging.

Back