Does this Leaf drive like it's on rails or is it just me ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2msmith

I'm very impressed with the handling of this car under normal driving conditions (no, I have not tracked it yet). I have a '91 Carrera 2, a Honda and just got rid of a well worn 99 Saab 9-3 which I loved - so the car is not without peers in my stable. (albeit, my cars tend to be OLD).

Is my driving experiences dated ? do other new cars of more modern vintage in a similar price range have the same capability or is the Leaf just a really nice driving car in any class ?

Actually, I consider the driving experience to be no more than average. It moves around far too much on its suspension (particularly in the rear), the steering is over boosted and devoid of any road feel or feedback (my biggest complaint), the tires have limited adhesion (especially for braking), and the suspension design is very econocar basic with all that that entails. There are certainly many other new $35K cars that handle much better.

k2msmith said:
Is my driving experiences dated ? do other new cars of more modern vintage in a similar price range have the same capability or is the Leaf just a really nice driving car in any class ?

Nope, that was someone else who has them at 44, not me. I was the one saying to him that the higher pressures are detrimental to traction and provide barely detectable range improvement... I suspect the limited adhesion is more a result of the particular LRR tires compound and construction plus their narrow footprint though than anything else.

By the way, I notice a number of reviewers are criticizing the steering on the 2012 Versa for being just like that on the Leaf... Apparently someone at Nissan must believe that it is REALLY what people want, at least on cars like this! I would have loved to be a member of THAT focus group!

LEAFfan said:
TomT said:
the tires have limited adhesion (especially for braking)
Tom, that's because you have your tires set to 44, right? Put 'em back to 36 to get better adhesion and braking. :lol:

I find the handling to be smooth and predictable in normal conditions. Performance wise the handling seems mediocre at best.
I think I read somewhere it pulled a whopping .7 G on the skid pad. :(

smkettner said:
I find the handling to be smooth and predictable in normal conditions. Performance wise the handling seems mediocre at best.
I think I read somewhere it pulled a whopping .7 G on the skid pad. :(
Today I had to run the CaymanS, that now lives on a battery maintainer, out to exercise the engine and push some gas through it... 405, Sunset PCH, home. That car drives on rails. The LEAF does not ride on rails; it rides on foam.

The LEAF is comfortable; don't get me wrong, I love this car, but not the handling. I would be kind of curious if there is a way to defeat the power steering just to see how much of that is detracting from the road feel.

Some members who know what they are doing are modding the LEAF and the handling will improve. If those smarter and more skilled can point the way, I will follow.

I just got my LEAF last week. On the first drive, I was very impressed -- suspension felt tight, cornering felt good. I love the torque. I have three other cars (need to dump at least one) -- 2001 Honda Insight, 2001 Audi S4, 1988 Acura Integra. From a cornering and steering-feel perspective, all three beat the LEAF (IMHO). The Insight is a rough ride here on the crappy roads in California, so I appreciate the LEAF suspension's forgiving nature. The weight of the LEAF also gives it a credible feel that is missing from the Insight, but the Insight can go around a sharp exit ramp like anything. Very low seating position. The Integra is showing it's age, but when I do take it for the occasional drive, I'm impressed that I still really enjoy driving that car. From an overall handling perspective, no car I've ever owned is a match for my S4. It doesn't get great mileage, but I will not be letting that car go for a long time! It's probably the Insight that has to go on the chopping block so that it doesn't look like I'm starting a used car lot in my neighborhood.

i have a Prius (which tends to be top heavy anyway) and the difference is extreme. the battery weight of the Leaf just lowers center of gravity so much that the stability in curves is really much better than the Prius.

I would say the handling and feel of the LEAF is average. With a MINI Cooper S in the household, one cannot compare it with that car and I am used to much better handling performance. It is definitely much better than the Prius and I like the off-the-line torque of the LEAF which compares well with V-6 engines. The quietness and responsiveness of the motor is unlike any other ICE car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i have a Prius (which tends to be top heavy anyway) and the difference is extreme. the battery weight of the Leaf just lowers center of gravity so much that the stability in curves is really much better than the Prius.

Stating that the Leaf handles better than a Prius is not much of a complement.

palmermd said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

No it is not and the handling is average to below average and marshmallow like on corners with and weight shift. A car with a low pack should handle far better. I'm not comparing it to a sports car but my very high Tacoma feels more confident. I would say it feels like it is on rails that are on firm foam rail ties.

palmermd said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

hey!! i did say "extreme"

It's outstanding as a daily run about car. What I find so interesting is that most of the mod debate is in regards to handling and not power. This is pretty high praise for the EV drivetrain since the suspension is fine for the mission the car was designed for.

Personally, I am waiting for the "sports car".

TRONZ said:
What I find so interesting is that most of the mod debate is in regards to handling and not power.
Precise handling is also a safety feature... To reiterate, I think the handling, especially on the front end can be improved, and the power steering might be fixed by a programmed flash mod. Out of my area of expertise here, so I am just guessing.

Where you can use additional power is limited. Where you can use better handling and braking is not.
Tire, braking and handling improvements also add to the passive safety of the vehicle.

This pretty much applies to any car.

TRONZ said:
What I find so interesting is that most of the mod debate is in regards to handling and not power.

I'll chime in with my $0.02 as well.

I find the acceleration to be great (not sports car, but compared to a similar size/style of vehicle) and everything very smooth. I've gotten used to the over-boosted steering, and my wife has actually grown to really like that (I'd prefer a little less boost, but it's OK).

Suspension is about what I would expect on this style/size as well, I don't have any complaints about that. Again, it's not a sports car, but I'm not expecting it to be. I've driven other similar mainstream vehicles that had far worse suspension, either too rough of a ride or too "floaty". The Leaf's is a good compromise between handling and comfort, IMO.

Responsiveness is excellent as well (no delay when punching the accelerator). Smooth, direct, fun.

The tires SUCK. Seem to have a lot of body roll, and slippery when the roads are wet (not a good thing here in Seattle). Also, have you ever had the window open and listen to the tire sound when cornering? I'm not sure if it's just because it's so bloody quiet that you're hearing more of the tire sound or not, but it's not an encouraging sound. I understand that low rolling resistance tires match the overall concept of the vehicle, but it's the one area of the car that doesn't meet with expectations.

I'm leasing the car, and I'm seriously considering getting new tires for it. So what if I lose a mile or two of range? I'd rather have more confidence in the handling/stopping ability.

TRONZ said:

I guess I was being too subtle. The point I was trying to make is that this is an electric car... you know :? "A GOLF CART" as most random folks would say. We should be falling all over ourselves trying to figure out how to get it up the slope in the driveway without getting out and pushing it!

BUT

Since we are enlightened with the REALITY of the LEAF we can worry about other things... like refining and customizing the handling.

The Leaf handles fine and the ride is OK, but it definitely is not anywhere near as good-handling as the 1998 Volvo C70 I traded in for it (an exceptionally good handling car as it should be for the price) or our other car, an Acura TSX, which is also very good, but not as good as the C70. The Leaf's steering is too light IMO, but that's a common complaint with Americans or Europeans who are used to a stronger road feel than Japanese drivers, and intentional on Nissan's part. Where I have the biggest complaint is its suspension in slow-speed situations. When going over speed bumps in the parking lot it feels like I drove off a high curb when the rear wheels come over. I have to slow to about 6 MPH. In either the Acura or Volvo I could take those at 12 - 15 MPH. So I'm not sure what recent driving experience the OP had with other cars, but I would say "it's just you." But I'm not complaining. I knew what I was buying when I bought it. I don't have a commute any more and we take the other car on longer drives, so I really don't need super handling to go 1 mile to the grocery store or library.

blorg said:
I'd rather have more confidence in the handling/stopping ability.

Have you had to use your ABS (slam and hold) yet? I did during the drive tour when a car didn't stop for a stop sign and I was on a thru street. The tires and brakes stopped us on a dime with a straight stop! I was going 25 (sl) at the time and just missed his front end. After that emergency stop, I have the utmost faith with the ABS and tires.

Back