Driving Leaf Too Much

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfcart

Long story short, I am driving my new leaf a lot more than expected. It was originally just gonna be my commuter car but I've had it for 2 months and put about 3k miles on it already as it has turned into our weekend family car too. It is just fun to drive around town and we often get free charging and other perks (EV only spots, any time HOV access, etc...).

I really want to stretch out that battery warranty as much as possible, at this rate I'll be at 60k miles in 3 years or so... gonna need to start taking the ICE beater to work 1 day a week at least. LOL

Fortunately I haven't sold my other car yet, might just be worth keeping as it is a paid for, nicely modified, 2002 WRX and I can get premium gas for about $2.10 a gallon these days. Plus it is fun to drive in a completely different way than the leaf since it is about 230whp and lowered with high performance tires.

Anyone else having this issue? Do a lot of y'all keep a second car that's paid for just to keep the miles down on the leaf and use on the occasional longer distance trip? I figure the car only costs me $25 a month to insure, $70 a year to register, and whatever maintenance and oil changes I need (which I do most of myself)... plus it can't depreciate much more at this point as I could sell the aftermarket parts for a few grand anyways.

golfcart said:
Anyone else having this issue?
Yes. :)
Do a lot of y'all keep a second car that's paid for just to keep the miles down on the leaf and use on the occasional longer distance trip?
I do have a second car, but it only gets used for the trips that the Leaf can't handle, or when both the wife and I need vehicles at the same time.

I've decided to just go ahead and use the Leaf for every trip that it can handle. I've got 53,000 miles on it, and I'm down to 10 bars. I'm not planning on being able to take advantage of the battery capacity warranty. Even with the low gas prices, it costs over twice as much to run the other vehicle.

garsh said:
Even with the low gas prices, it costs over twice as much to run the other vehicle.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm on this TOU plan with the power company and it is about 75c a day in the leaf vs about $4 a day in the WRX just to go to work and back so it does add up. I guess I'll have a better idea after a year or so of degradation on the battery to really make some projections.

I don't know where you live (don't know where "757" is), but unless it's in the desert, I don't think there's any chance of a "lizard battery" car (2015+) ever qualifying for a battery pack replacement under warranty. They may not be perfect, but I'm sure Nissan made them good enough to avoid a repeat of 2011-2012.

Yes: I ended up driving my Leaf far more than I ever thought I would (and that's a good thing)!

Stanton said:
I don't know where you live (don't know where "757" is), but unless it's in the desert, I don't think there's any chance of a "lizard battery" car (2015+) ever qualifying for a battery pack replacement under warranty. They may not be perfect, but I'm sure Nissan made them good enough to avoid a repeat of 2011-2012.

Yes: I ended up driving my Leaf far more than I ever thought I would (and that's a good thing)!

It is just the nickname for our little corner of Southeast Virginia. Norfolk/Virginia Beach are probably the most noteworthy cities here. We have a humid subtropical climate with highs in the upper 80's in july and lows in the lower 30's in January.

area-code-757-virginia-map.jpg

I keep hearing mixed info on the newer packs so I really don't know what to think about them...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20706&hilit=lizard+degradation

I'm sure you are probably right that I won't qualify, but the possibility of getting a brand new pack 4.9 years from now is enticing. Especially since I bought a 2015 in November that was made in December 2014. Initial readings were 98% SOH and 63.4 aHr so pretty strong but not as high as many I've seen. Used that to negotiate the price down but warranty starts on date of sale. I figure there is no reason to not maximize my window.

Driving a lot is good for it from my research and experience. Check the guy driving across the USA... 26,000 miles in under 6 months and his 2013 is doing better than my 2015.

Many 15's in good weather that drive 12k+/year still have 292 GID's and 100% SOH after a year or more.

I don't drive mine that much and have been as low as 259 GID's but still have 99% SOH so I don't think it's real degradation, it's just less usable capacity for the short term to extend the real degradation.

IMO.

golfcart said:
It is just the nickname for our little corner of Southeast Virginia. Norfolk/Virginia Beach are probably the most noteworthy cities here. We have a humid subtropical climate with highs in the upper 80's in july and lows in the lower 30's in January.

If the highest temps you see there are 80's, I can pretty much guarantee you will never qualify for the battery pack warranty replacement. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you made it all the way to 8 years with no more than a 2 bar loss (which is a good thing).

Stanton said:
If the highest temps you see there are 80's, I can pretty much guarantee you will never qualify for the battery pack warranty replacement. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you made it all the way to 8 years with no more than a 2 bar loss (which is a good thing).

That's average highs, we do see probably 30 days a year in the low to mid 90s and maybe 5 - 10 days that might eek up near 100. Atlanta or DC are probably the metros with high EV use and the most comparable climates to here. I keep an eye on those guys degradation threads as a best guess for me.

Point taken though, I am not gonna count on a free replacement. Realistically I only need to get 26 miles 1 way to work on a charge then I can fill up at the dealership down the road (CHAdeMO) during lunch so either way the cars range should be sufficient for quite a long time.

We also are surprised how much we drive our 2 1/2 month old Leaf. It's fun to drive and we don't feel guilty jumping into it for a 8 mile round trip for groceries or ice cream run in the evening. My 91 year old mother just moved into a retirement apartment 15 miles from us. Daily trips to help her get situated is a fun drive.

Our Jack Russell loves being in the back with the seats folded down. She has a great view.

Our other car, a 2015 Lexus Hybrid SUV, is feeling very neglected. Last time we put gas in it was 10 weeks ago.

Our situation is the reverse. I usually average about 8,000 miles a year so always looking for ways to use the LEAF instead of our ICE, to get full value out of the leased LEAF and preserve the (paid-for) ICE vehicle. Though I do enjoy the guilt-free joyrides too :)

Nubo said:
Our situation is the reverse. I usually average about 8,000 miles a year so always looking for ways to use the LEAF instead of our ICE, to get full value out of the leased LEAF and preserve the (paid-for) ICE vehicle. Though I do enjoy the guilt-free joyrides too :)

Now that's a good problem to have... unfortunately (for me not her) my wife has the 4 mile commute and I get the 25 mile one. :lol:

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Driving a lot is good for it from my research and experience. Check the guy driving across the USA... 26,000 miles in under 6 months and his 2013 is doing better than my 2015.

Many 15's in good weather that drive 12k+/year still have 292 GID's and 100% SOH after a year or more.

IMO.

I hope that's the case, there's only been 1 day since I got it that it hasn't seen at least a trip to the market. I saw that thread about the across america guy those numbers are great considering the mileage. 90% of my driving is cruise control at 60mph so we'll hope for the best.

BakoDuck said:
@golfcart -- What automobile insurance company and limits result in only $25 per month for the Leaf?

Thanks

My 2015 SL Leaf, with State Farm in Florida is $35.58/mo

Coverage Details
Liability - Bodily Injury / Property Damage = $250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident / $100,000 each accident
No-Fault Coverage Basic No-Fault
Comprehensive Deductible $1,000
Collision Deductible $1,000
FHCF Assessment Yes

Uninsured Motor Vehicle - Stacking
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident (No Cost)

State Farm offers Stacking for Uninsured Motorist so we have coverage on our other car that covers this one also.

Uninsured Motor Vehicle - Stacking
Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage provides protection if you, your spouse or a resident relative is injured by a negligent driver who does not have any bodily injury liability insurance coverage. This coverage can be purchased as either stacking or non-stacking.

Stacking: Two or more policies issued to you, your spouse or a resident relative can be added together when damages exceed the limits on one policy. If you have only one car in your household or if your car is insured in the name of a corporation or business, the additional benefits provided by the stacking option may be very limited.

-----------------
DISCOUNTS APPLIED;
Accident Free Discount
Anti-Lock Brake Discount
Anti-Theft Device Discount
Homeownership Discount
Multiple Automobiles Discount
Multiple Line Discount
Vehicle Safety Discount
Annual mileage

golfcart said:
Long story short, I am driving my new leaf a lot more than expected. It was originally just gonna be my commuter car but I've had it for 2 months and put about 3k miles on it already as it has turned into our weekend family car too. It is just fun to drive around town and we often get free charging and other perks (EV only spots, any time HOV access, etc...).

I really want to stretch out that battery warranty as much as possible, at this rate I'll be at 60k miles in 3 years or so... gonna need to start taking the ICE beater to work 1 day a week at least. LOL

Fortunately I haven't sold my other car yet, might just be worth keeping as it is a paid for, nicely modified, 2002 WRX and I can get premium gas for about $2.10 a gallon these days. Plus it is fun to drive in a completely different way than the leaf since it is about 230whp and lowered with high performance tires.

Anyone else having this issue? Do a lot of y'all keep a second car that's paid for just to keep the miles down on the leaf and use on the occasional longer distance trip? I figure the car only costs me $25 a month to insure, $70 a year to register, and whatever maintenance and oil changes I need (which I do most of myself)... plus it can't depreciate much more at this point as I could sell the aftermarket parts for a few grand anyways.

I thought you were going to say you leased the Leaf and you were going to max out your mileage. If you bought it, and aren't under mileage restrictions, just drive it and enjoy. Like others have said, if you look at the previous warranty battery replacements they have come from MUCH hotter climates than yours.

The funny thing about EVs is that they have the best payback if you drive them more.

I bought mine in the hope it would replace the 3000mi/yr of my old junker and 7000mi/yr of my wife minivan shuttle runs. That was reckoned to save $500/yr by trading $1000 worth of gas for $500 worth of electricity (we pay 15c/kWh :-( )

I am thrilled that we are on pace to put 15000 mi/yr on our (bought used) Leaf. That trades $1500 in gas for $750 in electric and trades $250 worth of scheduled maint and brake wear for $50 of brake fluid (Nissan is over-cautious on changing it). That's $900/yr. Saving more money faster is better (batteries wear out per mile, but lasting longer should not be a goal, saving sooner should be)

On the flip side, it makes no sense to pay extra for an efficient car you don't drive--if you rarely drive a car it is probably cost more $ and emits more CO2 to make a Leaf than that Leaf would ever save of either.

Jefe said:
I thought you were going to say you leased the Leaf and you were going to max out your mileage. If you bought it, and aren't under mileage restrictions, just drive it and enjoy. Like others have said, if you look at the previous warranty battery replacements they have come from MUCH hotter climates than yours.

Yeah I guess I shouldn't bank on a warranty battery in Virginia Beach, hopefully by the time I need a new one there will be compatible 200mile+ replacement options anyways and I can use my original for solar storage.

Arlington said:
The funny thing about EVs is that they have the best payback if you drive them more.

I bought mine in the hope it would replace the 3000mi/yr of my old junker and 7000mi/yr of my wife minivan shuttle runs. That was reckoned to save $500/yr by trading $1000 worth of gas for $500 worth of electricity (we pay 15c/kWh :-( )

It is pretty amazing how cheap the leaf is to operate after the initial evse investment. I actually have a 1998 Chevy metro that has average 46mpg on my work commute the last 4 years. I got the leaf to replace the metro ( have a kid now and don't want her in a tin can with no ac) and planned to keep the Subaru as a fun/long distance/track car. The metro at $2 a gallon still costs me about $2.25 a day to work and back while the leaf is just $0.75 on the Dominion TOU plan. Not to mention that I fill for free a few times a week at the mall or dealership. I was just gonna sell the metro but now y'all are making me think about selling both and just driving the hell out of the leaf.

Funny thing about there not being many EV's down here is that almost every charge station is like my personal unit. I have yet to pull up and not be able to plug in immediately at any public station locally. I'm sure that won't last forever but it is great so far!

golfcart said:
Arlington said:

It is pretty amazing how cheap the leaf is to operate after the initial evse investment. I actually have a 1998 Chevy metro that has average 46mpg on my work commute the last 4 years. I got the leaf to replace the metro ( have a kid now and don't want her in a tin can with no ac) and planned to keep the Subaru as a fun/long distance/track car. The metro at $2 a gallon still costs me about $2.25 a day to work and back while the leaf is just $0.75 on the Dominion TOU plan. Not to mention that I fill for free a few times a week at the mall or dealership. I was just gonna sell the metro but now y'all are making me think about selling both and just driving the hell out of the leaf.

Funny thing about there not being many EV's down here is that almost every charge station is like my personal unit. I have yet to pull up and not be able to plug in immediately at any public station locally. I'm sure that won't last forever but it is great so far!

Is that the 3-cylinder Metro? The instant torque on the Leaf must feel really amazing after driving that thing. My sister had one of those when we were in high school.

Back