Ecotality and Walmart

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like not many. The deal only specifies 10 stores in CA, OR, and WA. One of the OR stores will get a DC quick charge.

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
Does anyone know which Walmart stores in OR will have Blink EVSE installed at?
Well, I hate to be a pessamist, but I'l bet it will be Portland and south. Likewise, I'm not holding my breath on seeing them in the Tacoma-Puyallup area. Most likely Seattle and north. :cry:

Hope I am wrong.

Bill

waitingforaleaf said:
perpetualstudent said:
It sounds like not many. The deal only specifies 10 stores in CA, OR, and WA. One of the OR stores will get a DC quick charge.

+1. For such a small deal, it's a big press release...

Yeah I agree but for S.D. area this is a huge step in the right direction. Public chargers here are virtually non-existent even thought there are over 500 Leafs here.

Seems like a bad fit demographically. Leafers seem to be big Costco fans. Maybe Target, Home Depot, or Lowes. Walmart I'm not seeing. I know Walmart is on a big push to move to more upscale products and a more upscale shopping experience so maybe this is part of that.

As for a public charger being good just because it's installed, I think that's wrong. If they get installed and not used then the conclusion will be that they're useless and not a good idea. Costco has already helped that idea along as it is.

SanDust said:
If they get installed and not used then the conclusion will be that they're useless and not a good idea. Costco has already helped that idea along as it is.
Don't be too hard on Costco. Costco did not discontinue the electric vehicle production. Costco did not change the connector style. If Costco paid for those charging units just to have the EV movement collapse I can see it may have discouraged them from risking the money and parking spaces again.

SanDust said:
Seems like a bad fit demographically. Leafers seem to be big Costco fans. Maybe Target, Home Depot, or Lowes. Walmart I'm not seeing. I know Walmart is on a big push to move to more upscale products and a more upscale shopping experience so maybe this is part of that.

As for a public charger being good just because it's installed, I think that's wrong. If they get installed and not used then the conclusion will be that they're useless and not a good idea. Costco has already helped that idea along as it is.

I agree with you. I don't see the EV demographic largely to be Walmart shoppers. However, I am a big fan of Costco, Lowe's (Home Depot when Lowe's doesn't have it) and Target... but I NEVER go to Walmart. The only Walmart nearby (and it's not that close) is next to a Home Depot... so perhaps I will start shopping at that Home Depot and parking in Walmart.

If anything, I hope Target takes note and starts putting in EV chargers to compete. That would make me happier :)

SanDust said:

I'm not a CostCo Leafer - just don't care for the large consumption approach and membership requirements.

smkettner said:
Don't be too hard on Costco. ... If Costco paid for those charging units just to have the EV movement collapse I can see it may have discouraged them from risking the money and parking spaces again.
I don't shop at Costco and I don't equate business decisions or corporate politics with religion (seems like you're doing that). No big deal for me that Costco decided to affirmatively kick sand in the face of EVs. However, from a business standpoint, what they are doing makes no sense. First they put in EV charging when there aren't any EVs on the road (OK, two in LA). Then as EVs start making it to market and customers are buying them, they spend money to pull them out. They could have just left them where they were rather than playing Scipio Aemilianus and ripping them out root and branch to ensure that they could never be used again. I'm surprised they didn't pour salt over the ground on which the chargers were standing.

Not saying this is evil, just saying it's dumb given their customer demographic.

SanDust said:
Not saying this is evil, just saying it's dumb given their customer demographic.
Demographic is primarily gasoline and Costco is installing gasoline stations. EVs are still just a nit in the scene of things.

I have shopped at Wal-Mart all of my life, but I'm beginning to shop more at other places. The two main problems are the long lines. seems I have to wait longer to check out every time I go in. I even tried going at 5:00 in the morning one time to avoid the lines. Well, instead there was just one checker and 6 baskets lined up in the one line. So the wait was the same. The second problem, maybe more to do with my local store, is that slowly little by little they have stopped carrying all of the products I buy. So I have to go elsewhere to get them. Sure, I pay a little more, but I don't have to wait in line as long.

Anyway, looks like it is moot anyway since Texas isn't on the list of places they'll be installing them.

Actually, I think McDonald's and Starbucks are the perfect places to embrace EV charging stations company wide. It worked for them with Wi-Fi. If anyone was on the road and needed to use WiFi all they had to do was find a McDonald's or a Starbucks.

Nekota said:
I'm not a CostCo Leafer - just don't care for the large consumption approach and membership requirements.
I don't belong to Costco either. I don't buy that much stuff or like the warehouse shopping experience. However, I don't shop at Walmart either.

Not every Leaf owner will belong to Costco, but a far higher percentage will shop at Costco than Walmart, and we'll see higher utilization rates when charging stations are installed where Leaf owners shop.

smkettner said:
Demographic is primarily gasoline and Costco is installing gasoline stations. EVs are still just a nit in the scene of things.
Given that EVs account for no percentage of all cars this is true but completely meaningless. EV enthusiasts are very passionate and evangelical. It's also a growing movement. Why go out of your way to piss them off? You keep forgetting that all Costco had to do was NOT to do anything. What's easier than that?

SanDust said:
If Walmart installs a charger where I need to charge, I am their demographic. And Walmart stores tend to anchor shopping centers, so will likely facilitate multiple browsing options. In California, the demand charge is a barrier to siteing chargers at business with low utility demand. Walmart’s sheer size enables more locations by dwarfing that expense. Exactly what needs to happen to promote EVs.

The trend in Miami is Walmart Supercenter stores, huge stores with everything, including groceries.. the grocery prices are unbeatable.

I attempted to use the two L2 units at the Redlands, CA Walmart last weekend. Both units were down. After 20 minutes on the phone with the Blink rep he gave up and said they would send out a tech ASAP. The app showed both units were availble at the time.

People don't tend to spend hours at McDonalds (nor do they want then to), so I am not sure it is a good mix since the amount of charge you could pick up in the typical visit would be minimal. Starbucks might be a little better but still... Oh, and we shop at both Walmart and Costco, though more at the latter...

adric22 said:
Actually, I think McDonald's and Starbucks are the perfect places to embrace EV charging stations company wide. It worked for them with Wi-Fi. If anyone was on the road and needed to use WiFi all they had to do was find a McDonald's or a Starbucks.

Back